Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

It's heating up...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Getting that picture of Moe, kicked things up to the next level as far as my preseason prep is concerned! After some time to think things over and get my stuff in order, I've got the ball rolling towards the 2011-2012 opener!!!

New 452x strings and cables in all black will be going on the XT next week. A custome Fluteman sling in all black will make a nice accent to the all black string. I'm starting to build Easton Flatline 340's to spec this week. I extended them to 29" from my standard 28" to gain a little bit of weight. I'll be adding a solid white wrap with 3 white Fusion 2" vanes, with a white Super Nock. Total weight on the new arrows will be in the 385 range, down from 427. I'm hoping for an increased speed in the 280+ range, which will negate the weight loss in terms of KE from the old set-up. Worst case scenario, I lose a few ft/lbs of KE, but I'll still be in the 67 ft/lbs range, which is plenty lethal with a Slick Trick Mag on the end!!!

I'm hanging my No. 1 and No. 2 stands this weekend, along with a camera meant to capture Moe over the course of July. I'll be pushing to get plots in over the next few weeks as well. Overall, I got the fever again and it feels great!!!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Sweet!

I am going to be building me some eastons this season as well. Same way, white wraps, white 2" fusions. I am pretty pumped to do my food plot this year.

I am going to be hanging a camera and putting out a minerla block and some corn after the holiday weekend for inventory. Cant wait to see whats out there.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Got some of my stuff down from the garage attic last night. Hoping to sling some arrows this week, get the cames batteried up and out in the field, and take inventory on clothing and accessories.

Cant go wrong with all white on the back end of the arrow..I wouldn't worry to much about KE with them ST mags..You an I both know many many folks have taken deer with half the KE you got...MY Z28 is only flinging a Slick Trick tipped 375grain gold tip at under 260fps which puts me in the mid 50s KE wise ..

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
All white is the way to roll IMO. I was into all the fancy wraps and different colored vanes for a long time before switching to the all white set up a couple years ago. It helps me follow the arrows so I can watch for irregular flight; see where they impact/land on/in the target/ground/deer/barn door/etc.; and nothing beats a white wrap for evaluating the blood/guts/misc. deer innards on your arrow following the shot assuming you find it. I doubt you'll ever find me shooting arrows that are not all white at the ends...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sounds good, Jesse! You're gonna love those flatlines... they're incredibly tough for being such a "light" arrow shaft. I love the way white wraps stay more visible in flight, and like you said, it doesn't get any better for evaluating a hit on a deer. The only thing I hate about them is when I have to refletch... I wouldn't go as far as to say it's a pain in the ass, but removing the wraps definitely adds more time to the refletching process. The wraps also hurt your FOC a little bit, especially on the flatlines... and if you're not using the Microlite nocks in them it's going to add that much more weight to rear end. Last time I checked the software, my 29.5" flatlines with no wraps still had a good bit of room to spare in regards to spine. If I recall correctly, I think they'd be spined better with a 125 on the tip instead of a 100. With yours being a half inch shorter, a wrap on the end, and the supernock... you definitely won't have to worry about being underspined. When it comes to killing a deer, though, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference. Be prepared to adjust your sight pins with those new arrows... Like their name says, them suckers do fly flat!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I plan on sticking some 100 grain and 125 grain heads on there to see what happens to speed, KE, and FOC. Regardless, they have plenty of ass to get the job done! It's just up to me for cut out all the damn operator error!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I plan on sticking some 100 grain and 125 grain heads on there to see what happens to speed, KE, and FOC. Regardless, they have plenty of ass to get the job done! It's just up to me for cut out all the damn operator error!!!

Oh yea, bro... they'll have plenty of ass behind them. My arrow was sticking in the ground a good 6 or 8" after passing through the front-side shoulder blade of a doe. Penetration will definitely not be an issue!

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I just re-did my CE arrows with flo-orange wraps and 2" blazers. I bought a bunch a few years ago and haven't had the need to change arrows or the type of vanes. 388 grains total weight. My hunting bow pushes them at 286 fps average. That puts me at about 70 K/E I do believe. Enough for me. I can one pin it and that is enough for me. Starting to get jacked fellas.

Beentown

Huckleberry Finn

Spent a few hours with Milo today working on my shooting form. I'm working on shooting with a more open hand and pushing the bow out, not just pulling. Worked on shooting using back tension/the muscles in my back to shoot instead of just punching the trigger on the release (which got adjusted a bunch, don't sneeze near it). I picked it up quickly and it felt so much smoother and natural. Instinctive. And instant results, I was drilling the target bag with some great constistancy. I am pumped to continue learning new lessons and then taking my confidence to the tree stand.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Man sounds like it was a good time, and I would have loved to went Huck. You know life though. Glad to hear you and Milo had a good time.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent a few hours with Milo today working on my shooting form. I'm working on shooting with a more open hand and pushing the bow out, not just pulling. Worked on shooting using back tension/the muscles in my back to shoot instead of just punching the trigger on the release (which got adjusted a bunch, don't sneeze near it). I picked it up quickly and it felt so much smoother and natural. Instinctive. And instant results, I was drilling the target bag with some great constistancy. I am pumped to continue learning new lessons and then taking my confidence to the tree stand.

The man is a hell of a resource. I know you realize it, but you are a lucky mofo to have him educating you. I know TOO because he was instrumental in making me that shooter I am today...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Did a little more shooting today. Throwing pretty good groups.

Glad to hear you got the bow fixed. Did you have to buy an entire new bumper or was you able to fix the one you had ?

I need to get my butt out and shoot. Still trying to find a newer bow that fits in my wallet and hands lol.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Glad to hear you got the bow fixed. Did you have to buy an entire new bumper or was you able to fix the one you had ?

I need to get my butt out and shoot. Still trying to find a newer bow that fits in my wallet and hands lol.

Was able to glue to old one back on. Also had to replace the kisser button. There was so much vibration from shooting without the string stopper that the kisser disintegrated. That was why I didn't shoot the walk through range with Jesse, Ryan and Steve. Wasn't sure how I would shoot without my anchor point and I was a little embarassed that my rig seemed to be falling apart.

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

The man is a hell of a resource. I know you realize it, but you are a lucky mofo to have him educating you. I know TOO because he was instrumental in making me that shooter I am today...

It's unbelievable how much I learned in a few hours, each trip there improves my shooting! Apparently I pick it up well.

Oh yea, Scott, you also missed me shooting better than Ryan ;)