Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I've got a (probably) stupid idea

Creamer

Athens
So I've got a smaller hub-style ground blind. I could shoot a compound from it. I have gun hunted from it. I'm now getting into the trad game, and it's just not quite tall enough for me to shoot my recurve. Really close, but not quite. Obviously I could buy a new blind, but I'm kinda thinking about trying to modify the smaller blind. If I can remove the roof portion and extend it upwards, I think I can make it work. This would not be a run and gun blind, it will be something I will set up and leave for an extended period of time so I'm not worried about a more complicated setup time. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I'm thinking with enough zip ties and Gorilla tape I can make it work. Feels like a "hold my beer" type of project.

My other thought was to build a brush type blind but I'd like to have the solid walls of a pop-up for weather (rain and wind). It would also be easier to brush up a blind as opposed to building one from nature's clearance aisle.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
If you're not scared of messing the blind up, try it. If you're not wanting to throw cash on a new one, check craigslist or facebook. I'm sure a ton of weekend warriors are selling them to get spring fishing gear. I've seen some go super cheap. Good luck and share the results.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Are the poles fiberglass?

I would recommend seeing if the Herter for $99 from Cabela's is taller than your current model. This would then give you two options based on the weapon u r using. It would suck to destroy one you are already familiar with and if there is nothing wrong with it, then it's wasted if the modification doesn't work.

I just bought one of these, only have an Ameristep Outhouse blind from my college years and needed something bigger. At this price point, I was blown away by the size and quality.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Her...ingV0TyDlZmpiUUf7ZbPY_hM-DHmnllRoCBoYQAvD_BwE

Creamer

Athens
Are the poles fiberglass?

I would recommend seeing if the Herter for $99 from Cabela's is taller than your current model. This would then give you two options based on the weapon u r using. It would suck to destroy one you are already familiar with and if there is nothing wrong with it, then it's wasted if the modification doesn't work.

I just bought one of these, only have an Ameristep Outhouse blind from my college years and needed something bigger. At this price point, I was blown away by the size and quality.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Her...ingV0TyDlZmpiUUf7ZbPY_hM-DHmnllRoCBoYQAvD_BwE

If I'm being perfectly honest, I'm not too worried about ruining this blind. I haven't hunted from it much, 0 times this fall, to be exact. I set it up in an area and never hunted it. In my mind, I want to remove the roof portion and find a way to keep the camo roof material on it. I'll probably have to add some framing to the edges with some wood. Then extend the sides up with wood or some other kind of pole material, reattach the roof, and cover the now exposed space with some camo material. It was a cheap blind when I bought it.

Creamer

Athens
Or.... build a wooden frame. Cover with old carpet. Customize shooting windows. Build it as tall as you want. I built a couple big enough for three adults comfortably. It will last a couple years out in the elements before you’ll need to replace the carpet.

Definitely a good option. Thanks for the idea, Brock!

Hunter II

Are you tall enough to shoot out the blind from your knees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Creamer

Athens
Are you tall enough to shoot out the blind from your knees?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not the issue. Shooting from knees vs a chair/bucket isn't much different. The problem is head space for the 62" recurve. At some point, if I crouch down low enough, then the bottom limb hitting the ground becomes an issue and I'd have to cant the bow a lot to squeeze a shot off.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I love Dan and his common sense! As guys who has built several platforms for ground blinds, that was my first thought. Build a platform with knee walls and mount the blind to the knee walls. More permanent and not free, but solid and durable. Jon's idea of using deadfalls is also great.

Reactions: Creamer

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I love Dan and his common sense! As guys who has built several platforms for ground blinds, that was my first thought. Build a platform with knee walls and mount the blind to the knee walls. More permanent and not free, but solid and durable. Jon's idea of using deadfalls is also great.
The platform with knee walls will also get you off the ground and might be a little warmer....

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Tons of options for custom mounting or building one from scratch, thought Creamer was to the point of defining how to modify his current blind.

So, are you open to ideas on how to resolve the root cause or are you looking for thoughts on how to modify a blind?

Buckmaster

Portage
I would venture to say....if you cut it...it will break.

I've thrown out a couple over the years that suffered from wear, tear, wind, and deadfall damage.

It seems, once broke, always broke.

My 2 cents for the day....but Adam always has 3 cents more ;)