Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

"J"'s 2016/17 Rabbit Adventures

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Headed out too a new property about 20 minutes from me, my buddy used too work with this guy and he always wanted us too come out too give it a whirl but something always happened too prevent it..... We showed up and it's thickets, creek bottoms, thick tree lines along a power line and gas line that dissect this 120 acre parcel.... As we pulled in I said this looks like rabbit nirvana lol....

We dropped the tailgate got the intros outta the way and off we went.... We hit every place on this farm and had one run.... The guy (who invited us) who's grandfather owns it was able to drop it and he was pumped lol.... He runs coon hounds and has never been out with beagles.... I think he's hooked lol....

All that cover and one run.... I think I jinxed it lol.... We stopped and talked too the grandfather and thanked him for allowing us too hunt his property, and shot the shit with him for about a half hour.... Good guy, lots of stories about the hunting there but wasn't happy with the coyotes and not seeing many rabbits the last few years.... They coon hunt it and don't allow trapping and I mentioned he may want too allow trapping for a season or two and not worry about the coons.... He wasn't offended but he wasn't receptive either... His property his call.... I just offered some solutions lol....

We were there for about 2.5 hours total and as we left I told my buddy we owe it too the girls too get em on a good run or two lol.... So off we went too the property Sam and I hunted last week and we had two runs with one almost two hours long lol.... Those girls were dragging ass back too the kennel lol.....

Fed and watered them, they devoured their food drank some water and into the box for the night they went lmao...

Candy has a vet appointment in the morning as she's having ear infection issues again... Antibiotics for the next few weeks and hopefully it'll knock it down.... She's been prone too getting them, worse in the winter, I imagine due too being in the dog house more often...

Going too try to get out one more time before muzzy season comes in and then hit it hard the remainder of the season....

Both rabbits at the second property lived too be chased another day, one was little and the other earned a pass as he gave those girls a run for their money lol....

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We always run rabbits during muzzy season. Im not sure if we are allowed to tho.....
Great read as always j

Thanks, I deer hunt so I'm out during the gun seasons but most of the properties we hunt have deer hunters on them or close by and I'll give them he days as they have a lot less then we do....

Chad, she's no stranger too these infections as she's had them her whole life.... If she was a kid she'd have tubes in her ears.... We just keep em clean and flushed and hope for the best....

Rabbitrunner80

It's funny how those awesome looking places don't have any rabbits. I hate when you put off hunting a place and you think it's gonna be great and you finally hunt it and it's a let down. My luck lately has been the same way.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Made it yesterday but not what was scheduled lol... Was supposed to meet up with a couple of friends around 10:00 they both cancelled, so I headed to pick up the girls and go out by myself then called Sam and he was out with a friend of his.... He invited me over so I headed that way.... When I got there Sam's buddy's dogs were on one so I held off dropping mine... Once they lost it I dropped mine and they got acquainted and a few minutes they were off.... They ran it good and it held up in an old downed building that was used for making maple syrup..... One of Roy's dogs (his older male) got caught in a snare and he tracked him down and released him..... That was different, it's always a thought in the back of your mind.... Sam and I had just talked about it and the snares were supposed to be a couple hundred yards away according to the trapper.... But it's part of the rabbit game you have too be careful with....

All in all we had about 4-5 runs and Sam and Roy had each dropped one before I arrived and I missed one and Roy missed one as well while I was there..... It was a good afternoon and the dogs had a good day tracking.... Nothing like 4 hounds on one trail....

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
Sounds like a fun hunt!

How does that work when you bring diff packs of dogs together? Do they establish who the leader is right away? Throw down?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like a fun hunt!

How does that work when you bring diff packs of dogs together? Do they establish who the leader is right away? Throw down?

There's a feeling out period, sometimes it doesn't work out, especially with males.... Never really had any issues running females together.... Seems once they're on a track all the BS stops....

Rabbitrunner80

Good day "J". I run with other dogs some too. I've never had a problem either. Yesterday was a good tracking day. Ours ran great too.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
r%20lee%20wheres%20pics.jpg