Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jackalopes Ohio trapping thread (Coonapalooza)

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm contemplating taking the class and running some coon traps just to learn. It'd also be good for the farm. What's wrong with a 22lr pistol with a suppressor?

If the pelts aren't worth much I'll not mess with them.

Prices have creeped up but not enough to make it worth the work. At the last NAFA auction only 75% of the coon pelts sold with prices for eastern around $9 for large top quality pelts.

You would have to carry them home, skin, flesh, stretch, and dry them then ship to NAFA in Canada. Worldwide demand for fur has been down for years. China and Russia are the two largest consumers. If their economies are down they just don't have the garment demand. Fur has been out of fashion in the US for 25+ years.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Stop killing the opossum...they eat those ticks that you really hate.

Keep talking though, this is funny! I think we know now why you and the ole lady were doing drywall. Must’ve been a spider in the house! 😂

I always release them. Don't know why but I have a soft spot for them.

Screenshot_20191113-100735_Chrome.jpg

Chass

The Hills
Stop killing the opossum...they eat those ticks that you really hate.

Keep talking though, this is funny! I think we know now why you and the ole lady were doing drywall. Must’ve been a spider in the house! 😂
Plz, and eats my chickens and all the turkey eggs. They only eat ticks off themselves, coons prolly do the same thing.
What you've never got in a gun fight with a coon before, this isnt a standard hillbilly thing to do? We got home with the dogs one day, Ava went ballistic and found a coon on the porch. That bastard got up on it's back legs and ran at me. So I booted it away, ran inside got my trusty .45 ran back outside and fker got back up and ran at me again. So obviously I start shooting, and missing. Gravel and shit is flying everywhere all over the vehicles. So I take a half second, actually aim. Then blow the bastards arm off at the shoulder. He just stands back up and runs at me again, so kicked it back and while it was laying on the ground still, walked up and executed it with a shot to the head.
The woman was like wtf, the dogs were hiding behind trees like wtf dude. And I was standing there like Haha fk u bastard!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
Prices have creeped up but not enough to make it worth the work. At the last NAFA auction only 75% of the coon pelts sold with prices for eastern around $9 for large top quality pelts.

You would have to carry them home, skin, flesh, stretch, and dry them then ship to NAFA in Canada. Worldwide demand for fur has been down for years. China and Russia are the two largest consumers. If their economies are down they just don't have the garment demand. Fur has been out of fashion in the US for 25+ years.
If you so choose you will not be selling to NAFA anyhow as North Americans oldest and largest fur auction house just went bankrupt and is no longer.

Reactions: RedCloud and OO2

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Plz, and eats my chickens and all the turkey eggs. They only eat ticks off themselves, coons prolly do the same thing.
What you've never got in a gun fight with a coon before, this isnt a standard hillbilly thing to do? We got home with the dogs one day, Ava went ballistic and found a coon on the porch. That bastard got up on it's back legs and ran at me. So I booted it away, ran inside got my trusty .45 ran back outside and fker got back up and ran at me again. So obviously I start shooting, and missing. Gravel and shit is flying everywhere all over the vehicles. So I take a half second, actually aim. Then blow the bastards arm off at the shoulder. He just stands back up and runs at me again, so kicked it back and while it was laying on the ground still, walked up and executed it with a shot to the head.
The woman was like wtf, the dogs were hiding behind trees like wtf dude. And I was standing there like Haha fk u bastard!
I’m laughing my ass off and the wife’s like WTF? You won’t understand 😂😂😂😂

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
If you so choose you will not be selling to NAFA anyhow as North Americans oldest and largest fur auction house just went bankrupt and is no longer.

WOW... I can't say that I'm surprised by the way fur prices have been for the past 15 years. I had to go look it up. They claim that they're entering creditor protection and it's not a bankruptcy, but they are selling off their ranch mink contracts to SAGA, returning shipped furs, and not holding their spring 2020 auction, so it's not looking good.

This is crazy. NAFA is the largest fur auctioneer in North America and 2nd largest in the world.. It was a successor of the fur segment of the old "Hudson Bay Company" from old Europe. HB was a massive fur exporter from the new American and Canadian colonies and was founded n the 1600s.

This unequivocally marks the collapse of the North American wild fur trade. A trade older than our nation itself. The iconic mountainman, the barter with Indians for fur, trade beads, the exploration and mapping of our great waterways, all heritage of the American fur industry.

On the other hand, maybe it's not so bad.. Might create scarcity and demand and drive up prices. Logistics will be the problem however.

https://www.nafa.ca/webcenter/portal/Auction/pages_newsdetail/?contentid=NAFA_021595

Chass

The Hills
WOW... I can't say that I'm surprised by the way fur prices have been for the past 15 years. I had to go look it up. They claim that they're entering creditor protection and it's not a bankruptcy, but they are selling off their ranch mink contracts to SAGA, returning shipped furs, and not holding their spring 2020 auction, so it's not looking good.

This is crazy. NAFA is the largest fur auctioneer in North America and 2nd largest in the world.. It was a successor of the fur segment of the old "Hudson Bay Company" from old Europe. HB was a massive fur exporter from the new American and Canadian colonies and was founded n the 1600s.

This unequivocally marks the collapse of the North American wild fur trade. A trade older than our nation itself. The iconic mountainman, the barter with Indians for fur, trade beads, the exploration and mapping of our great waterways, all heritage of the American fur industry.

On the other hand, maybe it's not so bad.. Might create scarcity and demand and drive up prices. Logistics will be the problem however.

https://www.nafa.ca/webcenter/portal/Auction/pages_newsdetail/?contentid=NAFA_021595
Might even be the original organized black market of North America as well with all the thieving and what not going on in some places.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner

Fur harvester auction is now the sole North America wild fur auction house and has always been Only wild fur. They have come out stating that they are prepared to take on that position. Needless to say it will be an interesting year and I don’t think anyone can truly estimate what will happen with the market.

Reactions: OO2

Buckmaster

Portage
Speaking of a strong head....my buddy once had a coyote escape from the back of his pickup truck after it came out of its coma.