Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jager's Snaring Adventures

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All the discussion about hunting and trapping coyotes lately, and the added fact that there's really nothing else in season right now, got me interested in running a snare line and I've jumped in with both feet first. I bought a couple dozen sets of snares and anchors from the snare shop along with some wire and such. I boiled the first dozen snares in a baking soda solution. The others I plan on dipping in dye and/or spray painting.

So yesterday afternoon I went out to a property I normally use for waterfowl hunting and made some sets. I had planned on setting 12 but I only ended up setting 8. This morning I went and made a check at 8:00 am. Unfortunately I left empty handed, but not discouraged. I feel like I have them in a some pretty decent spots and it's only a matter of time. I added another set this morning on a really good trail too.

Here are some pictures I've taken of my setups. I'm completely green, so keep that in mind. That being said, please don't hesitate to critique anything you see wrong or make suggestions. Right out of the gate I can tell right now that I'd prefer to have them painted or dyed. They are dull, but still seem to stick out like a sore thumb.

Some specifics:
These snares are listed as "Coyote Catchers" on the snare shop's website. They consist of 10' of 7x7 3/32" cable with swivel, Cam Locks, twist-on support collars, and a mini deer stop. I made my own attempt at loading the snares, which seemed to go pretty well I think. Loops are about 10" in diameter and are 8-10" off the ground. For sets not attached to a tree, I have earth anchors with 18" of cable. Depending on the soil, I have them between 12 and 18 inches in the ground.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Looks like some yotes will get caught! I'm impressed with the loading job you did on those, usually they have a significant tear drop shape.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks guys. I have my fingers crossed. Just have to hope a pack comes cruising through the property soon.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks dang good man. They look set on some good trails too. Hopefully you snag one quick.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I sure appreciate the positive feedback, guys. That really helps my confidence level. Having never done this before, there is a certain level of uncertainty that's been in my head after each and every set. I can't help but wonder if or what I'm doing wrong...Or could be doing better. Trial and error is one of the best ways to learn though so I'll take it. Next check in less than 12 hours!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I sure appreciate the positive feedback, guys. That really helps my confidence level. Having never done this before, there is a certain level of uncertainty that's been in my head after each and every set. I can't help but wonder if or what I'm doing wrong...Or could be doing better. Trial and error is one of the best ways to learn though so I'll take it. Next check in less than 12 hours!
Quit over thinking it! 10 and 10 is all you need to know!

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I know, I know. It's a natural fault of mine. I over think a lot of things. I'm sure after I walk up on that first coyote those thoughts will vanish though!
It's a great feeling to catch one! Sit there for a minute and soak it in, as long as he don't have the cable chewed lol

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio

JB, Your sets look like they should be in a snare book or video~~That is the truth brother! I have caught nice coyotes in a lot worse looking set ups. The only thing you could be lacking is patience. That will come after you see the "cycle" that goes on with snaring. Be sorta glad you didn't get one right off the rip....then you would expect it often. In my head, I allow 5 days to get rid of human scent. Anything sooner is a bonus!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JB, Your sets look like they should be in a snare book or video~~That is the truth brother! I have caught nice coyotes in a lot worse looking set ups. The only thing you could be lacking is patience. That will come after you see the "cycle" that goes on with snaring. Be sorta glad you didn't get one right off the rip....then you would expect it often. In my head, I allow 5 days to get rid of human scent. Anything sooner is a bonus!
Thanks, Rick. That means a lot man.

Checked them this morning and again came up empty. Two of the snares were tripped though. Based on the trails they were set on I'm assuming they were bumped by deer passing through. I did add two more sets in a couple really good spots. That brings the current total up to 11 snares set. I think I'm going to order some FMJ dip and get the other dozen snares ready to be deployed.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Everything looks good Jim,
Just give it some time they will cycle back around,took me several yrs but have finally thinned them down in my area,only had a couple pics of yotes on my cams this yr,can remember when i used to see more yotes than deer,give it time and you will start putting a hurt on those yotes.
Sometimes after you catch one if their are several around you will catch em quick but once ya nail some the others seem to back out of an area for awhile.
This time of year they are breeding so the males are really on the move and cover alot of ground.
Keep after them! Good luck!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Jim, have you seen many yote tracks or shit in the area?
I haven't seen many tracks but there's a fair amount of shit piles on the two-tracks. I'm pretty sure I jumped a coyote out of its bed when I went in the first day. This property buts up to another larger tract of land, so it's very possible they're just cruising through adjacent land right now. I have confidence that I'll catch something for sure.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I haven't seen many tracks but there's a fair amount of shit piles on the two-tracks. I'm pretty sure I jumped a coyote out of its bed when I went in the first day. This property buts up to another larger tract of land, so it's very possible they're just cruising through adjacent land right now. I have confidence that I'll catch something for sure.
Oh ya, you'll get at least one!