Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Je fais la cuisine sous vide

Big H

Medina
I cooked Christmas dinner for 24 people. New York Strip Roasts 3 8lbers. Sous Vide for 5 hours at 133*, finished on a charcoal grill. It was a huge hit. I have also done Prime Rib, London Broil, Pork Belly, and Delmonico Steaks since this thread slowed down. Quite possibly the best way to cook meat IMHO.

Attachments

• Christmas Roast.jpg
    Christmas Roast.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 558
  • Christmas.jpg
    Christmas.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 511
  • Yum.jpg
    Yum.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 526

Big H

Medina
I plan on doing one this spring/summer Ben. I can't see how it wouldn't be great for brisket. One of my friends has one also and he has done several pork butts and they came out great!

Jamie

Ohio
sous vide brisket is quite nice. you're gonna love it, Big H. that strip roast looks fantastic. I may do that on Mothers Day or Fathers Day this year. sous vide pork butt is on my hit list, too. so much to cook, so little time, lol

Last edited:

Buckmaster

Portage
So...times are advanced...what is the current top of line model in this cooking concept? I’m considering entering the playing field.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had some sous vide backstrap medallions at my neighbor's house last night. Sous vide at 129.5 degrees for about 90 minutes, then pulled out and quickly seared in a skillet. They were fantastic. Absolutely perfect, medium-rare consistency. They were so tender than you could cut them with the edge of a fork. Very pleased.

Big H

Medina
A small Sous Vide Prime Rib I made for Kristi and I one night. Nice thing about a smaller prime rib, cut it in half and you have crust on each.

Attachments

• AA75BDC8-05AF-4B4C-9133-EBA8E36FEF14.jpeg
    AA75BDC8-05AF-4B4C-9133-EBA8E36FEF14.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 455
Reactions: Jamie and Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
Buffalo wild woodland wings. :D sous vide for 24 hours @ 160° , brushed with a traditional buffalo sauce (Frank's, butter, vinegar, Worchestershire, cayenne, garlic), grilled over lump charcoal for about 15-20 minutes, turning and brushing on more sauce. tossed pieces in the remainder of sauce. I might go 30 hours at 160° next time just to see if I can make the meat any more tender, but the texture/tenderness of the meat was on par with most really good chicken wings. not dry or tough, but not slimy either. superb way to eat squirrels.

IMG_2730.jpg

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Those wings look great. I just finished a batch of wings that I did in the oven for an hr, then I kinda broiled as a finishing touch. I haven't received my sous vide that I ordered yet. I'd never guess you'd go 24 hrs or so for wings. Can you explain that ?

Jamie

Ohio
lol, I can see how that pic could pass for a plate of actual chicken wings, even to the not so casual observer. I have to say that these were excellent for my first try. and it's just like eating actual chicken wings, too. eating around the little bones, sucking all the sauce off the ends, dipping in bleu cheese and ranch dressing, celery on the side, making a mess, burning lips, etc. fun dinner. and fyi, those are only the backs and back legs from four squirrels. we ate every bit of it. I better make more next time. :D

the lack of skin on the pieces was less of a problem than I thought it might be. still, I might bread and deep fry next time, toss in sauce to finish just to see if that's any better. gonna be hard to beat this method, though.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I plan on doing one this spring/summer Ben. I can't see how it wouldn't be great for brisket. One of my friends has one also and he has done several pork butts and they came out great!

I don't care for sous vide brisket. The change in texture is what gets me.

I have done: steaks, full primals, prime rib roasts, full pork loins, roasts etc (making thinly sliced roast beef is awesome outta cheap cuts like eye of round), fish, lobster, veggies, etc.

Reactions: "J"