Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Jockey Hollow For Sale

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Nope!!!!! Mike was first in line asking him for a permission slip... Gonna make him land manager... First rule is no button bucks or shed bucks... Second rule if there are ponds one will get stocked heavily and only one person will be permitted to fish it along with his private instructor....
You mean j gets to fish it while Dustin instructs?😂

Fletch

Supporting Member
@Fletch, I read a "baby out with the bathwater" response from you on this. It can be done and done well with the proper legal and business mechanisms in place. This very thing is a goal I'd like to see TOO achieve actually. Takes work, trust, and $, but it's not impossible to do as evidenced by 1,000s of examples all over the country.
Jesse not saying it can't be done... They said putting a man on the moon couldn't be done... I have a few more years on you and have been around the block a few more times... I've seen it tried numerous times only to fall apart... People are full of piss and vinegar in the beginning, then don't pull their fair share of the load... I thought the idea of this and other messages boards was to share experiences??? Well I went down this road twice and both times the venture went South... Once with relatives and once without... So just saying to be careful... Hard to judge people... Hey I even got burned once by a member of TOO... So count me out... GOOD LUCK THOUGH....

at1010

*Supporting Member*
@Fletch, I read a "baby out with the bathwater" response from you on this. It can be done and done well with the proper legal and business mechanisms in place. This very thing is a goal I'd like to see TOO achieve actually. Takes work, trust, and $, but it's not impossible to do as evidenced by 1,000s of examples all over the country.

I love this approach Jesse!

You want to buy land, everyone will tell you all the issues with owning land. You want to build a business, people always highlight why it will fail. You want to form a hunt club - youll be told it will never work. The list goes on and negatives always are first to emerge before positives.

Every idea seems crazy or far fetched at inception, to someone. That is not to imply the journey to achieve success of any idea worth chasing will be easy, but nothing that is worth chasing, comes easy in life - in my experiences.

I would rather own 10% of a $1million dollar business, than 100% of a $0 revenue business. Although that 10% might give me headaches from time to time, the value is far greater.

Just my take, maybe I am blindly optimistic in life.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hunt clubs are very popular in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan. Pretty much ran like a community with a president, treasurer, bylaws and all.

Same here in MS. Some are a yearly fee and it's leased. Some of the more high end ones are in a shared trust. This one below is a club thats 7k acres on a 30,000k acre island in the Ms river delta. The whole island is 7 different heavily managed hunting clubs. A million dollars for a 5% (1/20) share. The property is heavily managed for trophy potential, food plots, shooting houses, duck blinds, club house, shooting ranges etc. They have a board, full time biologist, grounds keepers etc. Even owning the share you STILL have to pay a yearly due that is probably 5-15k.

1613062770403.png

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I didn't take Fletch as being negative. Just realistic and cautioning. I'm certain many of these do crash and burn. It would definitely require some solid planning and by-laws.

Reactions: OO2 and Fletch

Schu72

Streetsboro
Chances at a chunk like this don't come up very often. I'd love to see something like what you are talking about, but you have to be ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself. You can't spend 6 months trying to organize.....the property will be long gone.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Jesse not saying it can't be done... They said putting a man on the moon couldn't be done... I have a few more years on you and have been around the block a few more times... I've seen it tried numerous times only to fall apart... People are full of piss and vinegar in the beginning, then don't pull their fair share of the load... I thought the idea of this and other messages boards was to share experiences??? Well I went down this road twice and both times the venture went South... Once with relatives and once without... So just saying to be careful... Hard to judge people... Hey I even got burned once by a member of TOO... So count me out... GOOD LUCK THOUGH....
I know exactly where you are coming from...tried to get a group of guys at our NJ hunting club to all chip in and buy a camp in Pennsylvania and in Ohio. Everyone says they want in and you tell them to save up $5,000 per man to be put down as a deposit when we find the right piece of land....gave them one year from the date they all signed on. Even reminded them every few months...one year later, everyone dropped like flies when the money was due. You and I only had a relatively small pool to get members from. TOO has a much larger and diverse membership, so it may be possible to get enough people who are serious about it and are willing to put up the money...if such an endeavor was ever attempted.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nah.... They can shoot what they want.... Sounds like they are well on their way to purchase this... AT and J both mailed out checks for $78,000.00.. :ROFLMAO: Don't forget guys you still owe a few $$$$ as there will be closing costs and lawyers fees... Did you guys tell your better half's yet??? :eek: This is usually the cause of many of these ventures going South.... You did what???? There goes the kids college funds.... You have a work detail this week??? Ah... I don't think so, we have a birthday party to go to... And the list goes on and on... I remember going up to the property in Pa. to work one weekend and on the way picked up a sheet of 3/4 inch sheet of plywood to use as a base for my bed... Next time I went up my plywood was gone... WTF... Turns out one of the other guys went up with his kids and used it to build tree stands...:mad:.. Other piece I went in on with 5 guys in N.Y. One guy didn't have a pot to piss in, so I put his $3500.00 in... Guess what??? Never saw a penny of that money... So do I have doubts this could work??? I see alot of good members on TOO so there is a good pool to choose from.... But if you think there will not be issues down the road you are in for a surprise... Don't judge a book by its cover....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
One guy didn't have a pot to piss in, so I put his $3500.00 in... Guess what??? Never saw a penny of that money... So do I have doubts this could work??? I see alot of good members on TOO so there is a good pool to choose from.... But if you think there will not be issues down the road you are in for a surprise... Don't judge a book by its cover....
When we sold our house the lady offered way more than it was worth IMO. I was worried about appraisal. I told our realtor that if she thinks she's going to haggle a lower price because it doesn't appraise she's in for a surprise. I told her to be prepared for us to accept transfer of physical assets in exchange for a lower asking price. "What kind of car do you drive, Is it paid for? Got a boat? Got any of grandpas guns? "Whats that riding mower worth".. I'll show up to her house with a trailer, we'll find the value to cover the gap. :ROFLMAO:

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Nah.... They can shoot what they want.... Sounds like they are well on their way to purchase this... AT and J both mailed out checks for $78,000.00.. :ROFLMAO: Don't forget guys you still owe a few $$$$ as there will be closing costs and lawyers fees... Did you guys tell your better half's yet??? :eek: This is usually the cause of many of these ventures going South.... You did what???? There goes the kids college funds.... You have a work detail this week??? Ah... I don't think so, we have a birthday party to go to... And the list goes on and on... I remember going up to the property in Pa. to work one weekend and on the way picked up a sheet of 3/4 inch sheet of plywood to use as a base for my bed... Next time I went up my plywood was gone... WTF... Turns out one of the other guys went up with his kids and used it to build tree stands...:mad:.. Other piece I went in on with 5 guys in N.Y. One guy didn't have a pot to piss in, so I put his $3500.00 in... Guess what??? Never saw a penny of that money... So do I have doubts this could work??? I see alot of good members on TOO so there is a good pool to choose from.... But if you think there will not be issues down the road you are in for a surprise... Don't judge a book by its cover....

HA, I am blessed well beyond my years, it is not lost on me, and no I don't need anymore land to manage.

My only point in highlighting that there is always a reason not to do something.

Just like you asking about a good county to buy land in - there will always be someone who says "no genetics there", "great genetics there", "lawless", etc. If you always wait for the right time to do something or for a 100% consensus - you will be waiting a long time. My property isn't prefect but I am damn happy we bought it 10+ years ago. Sure we have had our battles but if we listened to every possible con, we would never have had all the amazing memories generated from such purchase. Not to mention the value growth on the land, timber, etc.

If there is a group of men who could create a hunt club, my money is on Jesse and Joe, and rest of TOO. Not saying it will be easy.

Fletch

Supporting Member
When we sold our house the lady offered way more than it was worth IMO. I was worried about appraisal. I told our realtor that if she thinks she's going to haggle a lower price because it doesn't appraise she's in for a surprise. I told her to be prepared for us to accept transfer of physical assets in exchange for a lower asking price. "What kind of car do you drive, Is it paid for? Got a boat? Got any of grandpas guns? "Whats that riding mower worth".. I'll show up to her house with a trailer, we'll find the value to cover the gap. :ROFLMAO:
If your saying I should of used his car as collateral??? I really thought he'd produce but he didn't.. To this day I hear he's still behind the eight ball... His wife left him and he doesn't even make ends meet.... So my loss I'll move on and be the better man it's only money.... I just gotta be a better judge of people...🤣

Fletch

Supporting Member
AT010.... Nothing ventured nothing gained... I'm a firm believer in that, when I'm the only controlling factor... There's only so much slack you can pick up when others come up short... Eventually you fall flat on your face... I'm sure both Joe and Jesse could make things work... With Joe in charge and Jesse as his assistant something could be done... Let's get those checks in the mail guys...

Fletch

Supporting Member
View attachment 120880
Assistant! Jesse says.....
You Shit Stirrer.... From a management stand point I just think Joe has more backbone and would lay the law down and keep the guys in line... Jesse is more laid back and could maintain the financial end of things... Other positions will be determined as members are acquired...

Reactions: Sgt Fury