Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joel and Abby's 2018-19 deer season

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Live from Tenpoint factory...

Friday I called Tenpoint and explained what happened. The guy was super cool and said he was emailing me a shipping label. It never came and they were closed all weekend so I decided to make the 2 hour drive up here this morning. They open at 9 so I left at 7.

Got to the Tenpoint office at 9:05 and went in to talk to the secretary. She called the guy I talked to and he said he forgot to send the shipping label.

Apparently they don’t take repairs in at the actual factory. You have to go to the outdoor store on the corner and they don’t open until 10.

So I’m sitting in the parking lot here for 30 minutes waiting for them to open. I hope this isn’t a wasted trip.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Live from Tenpoint factory...

Friday I called Tenpoint and explained what happened. The guy was super cool and said he was emailing me a shipping label. It never came and they were closed all weekend so I decided to make the 2 hour drive up here this morning. They open at 9 so I left at 7.

Got to the Tenpoint office at 9:05 and went in to talk to the secretary. She called the guy I talked to and he said he forgot to send the shipping label.

Apparently they don’t take repairs in at the actual factory. You have to go to the outdoor store on the corner and they don’t open until 10.

So I’m sitting in the parking lot here for 30 minutes waiting for them to open. I hope this isn’t a wasted trip.

Shouldn’t be, I’ve had excellent experiences with that shop.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Dang it! Thats the most I EVER seen someone pay. Its a memory not a fuckup.... you'll definitely remember that night that's for sure!
Congrats again buddy I'm glad she got one

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dang it! Thats the most I EVER seen someone pay. Its a memory not a fuckup.... you'll definitely remember that night that's for sure!

Is that the scope as well? I took it as scope and front side of the bow.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
They called at 4:00 and said it was ready so I wrapped up a couple things at work and drove back up there.

Ended up being $314 and some change. New limbs, cables, scope (scope was $100 for the illuminated one), quiver and stock.

I was hoping it would be cheaper but what you gonna do. They were nice people and easy to deal with. This crossbow package sells for $750 so atleast I didn’t have to buy a new one I guess.

They quoted me 80 bucks over the phone for a stock and said that’s all I had to pay. Told the repair guy that and he said no the stock is $180 but we can give you a used one for half price. I took the used one.
98A1DBDC-5B5A-4677-AFDF-A6869EEDEA0D.jpeg

They also sighted it in so I took J’s advice and shot an arrow at their range. I was satisfied after one shot and I’m ready to go hunting again. Life goes on.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio

Thanks again. Definitely the most memorable hunt of my life so far. Helping someone get their first deer is awesome. Your daughter getting her first deer is like that x1000!

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I went out by myself a couple times since she got her doe last week.

Tuesday morning I went to my favorite spot and sat on the ground. I walked up the cut corn edge to my spot and could hear deer inside the woods the whole time so it was a very slow walk. I sat for three hours and just ended up seeing one little deer at first light.

Yesterday I planned on sitting in the ground blind until 10,10:30 at the latest at the new place. At around 10:00 when I was about to call it a day I saw a face looking at me through the thick stuff 50 yards away. That made me want to sit tight to see if it came out. An hour later I looked over there and saw a nice big shooter buck sniffing around. That got me excited enough to blow off work.

I waited on him to come out until 1pm then gave up on him and went home for some lunch. I got back out there at 2 and sat until dark, only saw this one doe. Back to work for a few days. I’m super into the deer hunting this year and I’m patiently waiting for a big buck.

60F2F9EE-866F-4B46-9E5F-D072487F85CF.jpeg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Before I get too much farther into the season and forget, here’s kind of a summary.

I think I’ve been hunting somewhere around 15 times for a total of about 45 hours. Something like that anyway. Most have been 2-3 hour sits before work or the last couple of daylight. There’s been a couple nearly all day hunts so I’m not real sure on the total hours.

I’ve seen four bucks so far. One shooter way out of range, one that I passed on that I probably would’ve gladly shot a couple years ago and a couple small ones also out of range.

Doe sightings have been good, which is great news around here. Last year I was seeing a lot of lone does and this year most have been in groups of 2-3. Maybe 30 total for the year so far. I like seeing deer so I doubt I’ll shoot a doe at one of these three spots. A couple other properties the does might be in trouble. We do eat a lot of deer meat as a family.

Bouncing around three different properties but the new house with the blind is where I’ve spent the most time.

Didn’t hunt today because of the weather but I was up to something. I snuck out to my favorite spot this year and put up something to hide in a little better. I’ve sat in this general area a few times on the ground. I’ve seen deer here on almost every sit and watched a few good bucks come right by here- from my treestand where they are out of range.

I got this set up in the rain. It’s ugly, cheap and simple but I think it’ll work. Just something to hide in because if they come by, they will be pretty close. I plan on hunting here Sunday morning. That’s a 100 acre cut corn field 10 yards behind the set up. Looking down a hill where I always see deer cruise by.
CBD97D09-EF78-490E-A3A5-C9F6A4D5CDC7.jpeg

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Going out to try the new set up in the picture above in the morning. Bound to get lucky sooner or later as much as I’ve been hunting this year.