Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Joel and Abby's 2018-19 deer season

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I went to the blind last night and got skunked. I'm still new to this property so I'm not sure but I think it might be all the rain we had. There's a creek through the property that I can see from the blind and it's up pretty high. I'm hoping it's been dead there because they're on the other side of the creek but that's just a guess. I've put 350 pounds of corn there since October 8th and there hasn't been any corn there the last few days. I added another 200 pounds today. Maybe in a couple days when they see there's food there and the creek goes down we'll be back in business.

I went to my favorite spot this morning, first day of daylight savings. Got settled in around 5:45 and stayed until just after 10:00 and got skunked there too. There's deer back there for sure but for some reason they didn't move past me at all so skunked again. I would go out tonight but have an annual event I can't miss so deer will have to wait.

Abby is ready to go back out. I'm thinking about waiting for a W wind one day this week and blowing off work to hunt. If I do, I'll go to my spot until 11am or 12pm and then take her out in the evening and sit until dark.

I'm not looking for a monster buck- a decent buck will do just fine. Abby will be shooting the first thing with antlers that comes in range.

I'm still having fun but getting skunked sucks lol. Hopefully it'll pick up soon.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Went out this morning before work, 5:45-9:15 and got skunked again. I was back in the blind and the more I think about the high water/deer on the other side of the creek theory it makes sense. I’ll give it a couple days and try there again.

Weather looks crappy tomorrow. Wind blowing hard in the wrong direction and pretty warm. Think I’ll sleep in tomorrow and skip the morning hunt.

Other than seeing the 2.5 year old 8 point cruising about a week ago I really haven’t seen any signs of the rut in my area. I drive a lot and can’t help but look at all the fields as I go and I just haven’t seen deer out and about anywhere around me. It’s gotta get better soon.

I won a gift card for Cabelas and ordered a ladder stand that should be delivered Wednesday. I think I’ll put that together Wednesday night and hang it Thursday.

The plan is to take the day off work Thursday, hunt another spot Thursday morning then hang the stand mid day Thursday. I know about where I want it to go I just have to pick a tree and get it in there. It’s going on our new property where the blind is but a few hundred yards away. I’ll probably hunt in it that night. I know a lot of guys are opposed to hanging stands this time of year but I need a better view of this property and I’m kind of curious how the deer will react to it.

It’s been a good season in my book but I still have some goals/tags to fill.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I don’t believe I’ve ever put as many hours in hunting as I have this year. Hopefully I have something to show for it eventually!

I have found myself frustrated a couple times. I had to remind myself that:

1)if it were easy, what’s the reward?
2)I love being in the woods. If I’m sitting there getting frustrated I need to give it a rest until I’m excited about going back out again.
3)It’s my fault for not preparing in the off season. I waited 7 months for deer season and then ran out the door opening day without any prep whatsoever No cameras, one good stand still strapped to the same tree in a mediocre spot.
4)It’s supposed to be fun!

I found myself today just sitting in the woods grateful for the opportunity to be there. Alive and breathing. Seeing a few deer was what I needed. That’s the attitude I need to keep the rest of the season no matter what happens. Every season really.

I know there’s bucks around and I seem to be in decent spots. Cold weather is coming and I’ll shoot one eventually. Hunt the wind, don’t burn out my spots and keep putting in the time. I’m hunting 5:45-9:00 tomorrow morning where I saw the buck today and then that’ll be it until Saturday. It’s time to take Abby back out again too. ASAP, and let her hold the crossbow while I hang out and watch.

As Rick’s been saying just shoot the fucking deer.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I really like this stand I got with the gift card. I have another just like it but this is a newer model, like the old on every but better.

This one gets two ratchet straps instead of one so it’s strapped to the tree in two different places which I really like. The platform and seat are a little bigger and the shooting rail is adjustable. Also has the round steel instead of square and the finish is more of a powder coat than paint. Pretty happy with it.

I hung it today and got my safety line and hook for my crossbow in. There’s a lot of good sign around and a trail that I can use to get to it covered in deer tracks. Couple rubs close by.

More than anything this will be a great place to learn when and how the deer are using this property as I can see probably 75% of the woods behind the house now that the leaves are mostly off.

Pretty excited to climb up here and sit all day soon. Here’s a few pictures from the seat.

The creek/steep drop off is directly behind me to the south and the property line doesn’t go much beyond that. Pictures were n,s,e and w but it can’t remember what order I took them in.
4C61CF84-295B-48AB-999C-E701E466F908.jpeg
30282410-A836-429F-9D64-A2A21969FDC4.jpeg
9E59FAE1-2E86-4360-A56E-E009EC7677F4.jpeg
762EDC7F-B42A-4C97-9FA6-494954BC42CD.jpeg
14C43F40-7DA0-4A86-85BE-81C4EB002FA3.jpeg

Reactions: Isaacorps and giles

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I have 2 Big Game stands, they’re great. Cabela’s usually runs a sale on them about twice a year making them reasonably priced

I think they’re solid, comfortable stands for the money. I gotta have a big seat that flips up, wide ladder rungs and a big platform. Millennium makes a couple good ladderstands too but they’re a lot more expensive. I’ll get one someday.

Reactions: Isaacorps

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Hunting in that new stand has been a blast. Hung it with my wife Friday and then hunted dark to dark Saturday. Saw over a dozen deer, one buck I would’ve shot, a couple small ones and the rest were does. Hunted this morning in the same stand until 11:30 and saw four does.

There weren’t many big straight trees to choose from so I put it where it is and it sticks out like a sore thumb lol. I have a couple other trees in mind where it’ll blend in better but not without trimming some branches and shooting lanes. Next year.

It was a great spot to observe deer and see where they come and go- I learned a lot about the property these last two days.

It’s Abbys turn again tonight. There’s been a couple small bucks lurking and showing up different times of the day so hopefully she gets to shoot one tonight. This will be her third hunt of the season. Fingers crossed!

I’m slightly dissapointed that I haven’t tagged a buck but I wouldn’t say upset or stressed. I just unfortunately have to start putting in more time at work and have some other obligations so the fall huntapalooza is coming to an end. Still going to sneak out for a few hours in the morning here and there so maybe I’ll get lucky. If not there’s always gun, bonus gun, muzzie and the late season with corn and a little buddy heater! :cool:

If the season ended tomorrow it was still a damn good one.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I’m sort of glad I’m not keeping track but I gotta be up to 25+ hunts and over 60 hours sitting in the woods so far for the season.

Abby and I had a cool encounter with a doe but that was it Sunday night. I went out this morning just behind my house from 6-8:45. I saw a small buck that strolled by 15 yards from me at first light. A little later 2 does came by 25 yards away and started acting spooked, trotted away and then stood there blowing 75 yards away or so for awhile and left. Not sure what thier deal was.

I’m going to the new stand at the new house in the morning before work. I feel like I need to be there after seeing all those does back and forth every sit. One of them is going to have a buck following her eventually.

So far I’ve had two bucks that I’d shoot under 40 yards away but no shot at either of them. Soon I’ll get a chance I hope!
98CBCAA3-1F44-46B5-832A-EDE4F9FFB1B4.jpeg

Reactions: hickslawns

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I just had the most amazing hunt of my life but- no deer were harmed. I was going to stay until 10 or so and then go to work but I stayed in the tree for 12 hours instead.

The biggest buck I have ever seen in person in my life came across the creek and walked across a trail 35 yards in front of my stand. He was downwind of me and just huge. Big big deer. I was waiting for him to turn and come towards me but he was going straight into some thick stuff. I stopped him with a "meh" and he took one more step which caused him to be right behind three little saplings. I made a split second now or never decision and shot an arrow at his lungs. He bolted. I climbed down 30 minutes later and went to the shot site. Clean arrow broken in three pieces. Fugg.

Didn't know what to do so I climbed back in the stand. At this point it was about 9:30am. Sat there disgusted but so very thankful he wasn't injured and kind of beat myself up for taking the shot. Half hour later a really wide beautiful 10 point with good mass came to almost the same spot but no saplings and a little closer. Tried to adjust myself and get ready to shoot, he was quartered towards me a lot. He caught me moving and looked straight up at me and we stared each other down for 2-3 minutes. I froze, he bobbed his head. He was about to say screw it and keep coming but spun around, trotted back across the creek up and over the hill. I just laughed. Shook my head. Laughed a little more. WTF.

So now I feel like I can't leave. The 2 biggest deer I've ever seen that close just took the same path 30 yards from my stand. No water, no lunch- didn't care. Sat there until dark. Mid day was quiet other than a doe or two off in the distance. I was on the edge of my seat for hours. Once it started to get dark a few does, then a couple more, then a few more, than a big lone one, then another, then a couple small bucks then a big 8 and another 10 point all came by within 75 yards. Wanted to shoot the second 10 point (much smaller than the first) but my grunt call was laying on the ground. Tried the can call. He stopped, made a big half circle and then stood in some brush and stared at me. Trotted away to where all the other deer were going. Then another one I'd shoot came by but getting too dark and too far away. Then another as legal shooting light ended.

Climbed out of that tree cold, hungry, thirsty, bruised ego. Stand is in a great area but obviously in the wrong friggin tree. I have never experienced a hunt ANYTHING like that. What an amazing day. I gotta give that place a few days to cool off and then obviously sit somewhere else and just pray for a repeat of that kind of activity. I have a lot of planning to do but top of the list is not screwing that place up any worse than I already did today. Crazy.

I don't even know how many deer I saw I just hope one day I'm lucky enough to experience something like that again. Maybe with a deer in my truck at the end.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Sounds like one helluva day, Joel... Those are the days that keep bringing us back too the woods....

I didn’t know a day like that was possible around here lol. I’ve been just trying to shoot a mediocre buck all season and I’ve been thrilled to see one or two deer.

I told my wife all this and she just smiled and rolled her eyes a little haha.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I didn’t know a day like that was possible around here lol. I’ve been just trying to shoot a mediocre buck all season and I’ve been thrilled to see one or two deer.

I told my wife all this and she just smiled and rolled her eyes a little haha.

My wife is pretty much the same way, but she loves venison....

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails