Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Largemouth Bass - When to start fishing for them

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Guys, I have been out of the fishing game for several years now and have been wanting to get back into bass fishing. Probably just some local farm ponds here and there, but was just wondering, at what time of the year do you guys really start going after them?

I also plan on crappie and bluegill fishing after the ice melts as well as in the fall, but would like to hit some largemouth up in between.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You can catch largies right after ice melt if you know where to find them. From ice melt to prespawn, they will be very lethargic so finesse baits are a good choice. I've done really well with leeches for early season largemouths in the past... rig it like a drop-shot... weith underneath, small octopus hook up above, tipped with a live leech. They cannot resist the temptation of that leech flailing around on the hook. When it gets closer to spawn, I switch over to senkos rigged texas-style and weightless, or a blue/black jig-n-pig. Senkos are one of my favorite lures for bass... they will catch them all year round. Even though you can catch largies pretty early, I personally don't go after them much until mid-to-late prespawn... usually around late April I think, depending on the weather. March and early April is reserved for walleye fishing for me!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Thanks for the input, I'm a "finesse" type bass fisherman as well. My favorite setup is a 7.5 inch "Texas-Rigged" Culprit worm. I'm hoping to hit some pan fish as soon as the ice melts and then the bass fishing is ON!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I'm not at all a finesse bass fisherman so I wait until the water warms up and they start chasing crankbaits. Damn ADD.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I'm not at all a finesse bass fisherman so I wait until the water warms up and they start chasing crankbaits. Damn ADD.

Yeah some days I would rather throw a crank or a spinner.... especially when covering a lot of water

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I usually wait until the water gets to around 50 before I start going for largemouths. Until then it is saugeyes, walleyes, and yotes.

Beentown

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah some days I would rather throw a crank or a spinner.... especially when covering a lot of water

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Did you upgrade your tapatalk app recently? Just wondering if they include that link automatically in their signature now. Thanks.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Man that is odd, when my signature is on it is set for "Sent from my Droid2 via Tapatalk", but comes up with that link. The link doesn't show up when I'm typing the message though. WTF!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Final test from phone. Signature should read sent via droid2 with tapatalk.

Sent via Droid2 with Tapatalk

OK, so when I create a custom signature it works without the link showing up. When I choose a preselected tapatalk signature it posts the link to their site. Interesting!

On another note.... anyone seeing any ponds that are melted off yet? Got my baitcasters taken part,cleaned,oiled, and lined. I'm ready to hit it!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
OK, so when I create a custom signature it works without the link showing up. When I choose a preselected tapatalk signature it posts the link to their site. Interesting!

On another note.... anyone seeing any ponds that are melted off yet? Got my baitcasters taken part,cleaned,oiled, and lined. I'm ready to hit it!

Thanks for all the testing... :) I kind of figured it was in their default signature. Them fuggers keep coming up with new ways to post their link on boards that have the software.

Rev Ed

I fish for largemouth bass in farm ponds in Marysville. Feb 18 was my first day out because a retention pond I fish was half clear. I caught my first bass of the season March 8, a 2 pounder on a Mepps Aglia spinner. I caught a total of 11 bass in 4 ponds this week and I plan to go out Saturday the 12th and add to that. I'm surprised I've caught bass so early on spinners, I'm cranking them in pretty good. Is anyone else catching largemouths now and on what?

chigger

Delaware
Hey rev good to hear about the bass. I am new to the site still tryin to finger it out. I fish alum all the time close to home not much gas to waste.My main bait all out is a 3 or 4'' chigger craw that brings in saugeye and lg bass. I prefer blue black flake or red brown flake. Give it a try good luck.chigger