Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lever action rifles

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Agreed. My point was more, ever seen many pistols chambered in 350 legend, 450 Bushmaster, 360 buckhammer or 45-70? Now how many do you see in rifles during gun season? The argument BFA always used was "we can use straight-walled cartridge pistols today, why can't we use those same rounds in a rifle." It was never about pistol calibers and all about rifles. Bet your ass Winchester already had plans to introduce the 350 before they ever started lobbying states to allow PCRs and remove named caliber restrictions to open it up to all "straight walled" calibers. Good for the gun companies and ammo manufacturers who get to sell a shitload of new rifles and ammo though.
Probably ultimate silliness of Ohio’s law is that .458 Win Mag is a legal deer cartridge 🤯

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio

Fletch

Supporting Member
I saw a Rossi lever action with an octagon barrel in 44 mag. new in box today... But that's not what your looking for...

Reactions: Dustinb80

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Agreed. My point was more, ever seen many pistols chambered in 350 legend, 450 Bushmaster, 360 buckhammer or 45-70? Now how many do you see in rifles during gun season? The argument BFA always used was "we can use straight-walled cartridge pistols today, why can't we use those same rounds in a rifle." It was never about pistol calibers and all about rifles. Bet your ass Winchester already had plans to introduce the 350 before they ever started lobbying states to allow PCRs and remove named caliber restrictions to open it up to all "straight walled" calibers. Good for the gun companies and ammo manufacturers who get to sell a shitload of new rifles and ammo though.
Hey we met because i was lobbying the ODNR open house for BFA and pistol caliber rifles.

The bigger hypocrisy is that i can fully load a desert eagle in 44 mag (8 rounds plus one in the pipe iirc) but Dustin will only be able to put 3 in his rifle.

Reactions: Jackalope

Fletch

Supporting Member
Hey we met because i was lobbying the ODNR open house for BFA and pistol caliber rifles.

The bigger hypocrisy is that i can fully load a desert eagle in 44 mag (8 rounds plus one in the pipe iirc) but Dustin will only be able to put 3 in his rifle.
So I gather from this that you can only have 3 rounds in your rifle in Ohio...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Agreed. Should have changed to law to only allow three in a pistol and left it at that. 😅.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ok... Kinda hard to enforce. A shotgun has a plug in it limiting it to 3 rounds... I have been checked for a plug several times... Illinois next year straight wall cartridges will be legal but must be a single shot gun.. The 450 Mossberg I bought I have to either be a field minus a clip or have clip made inoperable...

I agree with everything you've said and will add this.... I think the PCR guys are becoming more disappointed with the actual Deer Gun Season, seeing as how all the crossbow hunters are killing more deer than they are AND before they get a chance at carrying their new PCRs. o_O🤔:ROFLMAO:

I felt compelled to make the drive to The Sportsman's Den, in Shelby, this afternoon. I wanted to physically see and hold a few centerfire lever-action rifles. :) I contacted @Dustinb80 and let him know about a gorgeous Henry 44 Mag. with a case hardened receiver, side loading gate and 20" octagon barrel, for $979. 🤔

After he declined an interest in the rifle, I nearly walked out the door with it. 🙄 I'd like to own another lever-action rifle, but I'm not sure on which caliber, at this time. Even so, this is a damn good looking rifle! 💯
Henrry 44 Mag..jpg

Yeah back in the shotgun days you had to have a physical plug in the gun. When they allowed rifles it became the honor system that you would only put three in the gun.
This "honor system" opens the door for more citations, if caught.
I was at one of the game hearings, when they were changing to plugged guns and it didn't effect handgun hunters. They wanted to know why. The DNR officials said, "The handgun hunters aren't shooting each other. We're seeing tube magazine extensions, increased accidents and wreckless "pumping lead" through the woods. If you won't regulate yourselves, we'll regulate you."
It got kinda quiet after that statement. 🤔

Fletch

Supporting Member
Dustin passed?? Damn that is a fine looking gun...Although I'd have to see the case hardened receiver to get a better feel for it...

Reactions: finelyshedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dustin passed?? Damn that is a fine looking gun...Although I'd have to see the case hardened receiver to get a better feel for it...
Sadly, it comes down to how bad anyone wants one nowadays. I can almost guarantee you prices won’t be coming down in these times.
It’s the same with vacation destinations, they’ve doubled in most places or more in highly sought out places. Bottom line, how bad do you want it?
Didn’t mean to derail just pointing out that guns and ammo are no different than other highly sought after things and if you want it you’re gonna have to suck it up and pay for it. Ugh🙄😬

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That is a beauty of a 44mag. I would struggle to spend that much to drag it thru the woods. Might need more than 9 days out of the year opportunity to use it. I might spend that on an AR platform 450 and use it to obliterate coyotes in the winter. Not on a deer season only gun though. That is just me. Then again, I bought several 44mag over the years and have only carried one into the woods. Revolver variety.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Sadly, it comes down to how bad anyone wants one nowadays. I can almost guarantee you prices won’t be coming down in these times.
It’s the same with vacation destinations, they’ve doubled in most places or more in highly sought out places. Bottom line, how bad do you want it?
Didn’t mean to derail just pointing out that guns and ammo are no different than other highly sought after things and if you want it you’re gonna have to suck it up and pay for it. Ugh🙄😬
Willing to pay, just wanna pay for what I want, not what's available.