Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

lighted nocks

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
the other day redcloud asked me how long the battery life is on the "nocturnal" brand lighted nocks I use. I wasnt sure, so when I got home I turned one on to see how long it will last.

It has been on for well over 70 hours and is still shining.

pack of three for $19.99 they may not be as bright as luminocks but considering the lumkinocks are $10 apiece and the nocturnals last for days, I think I will stick with them.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Do the nocturnal nocks work the same as the lumanock, or are they activated my inertia or a magnet? Those nocks you had were pretty darn bright.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
yes they weight quite a bit but if your FOC is good they should not have that much effect on your setup. it most effects people on the lighter side of a setup like a guy that shoots a borderline 400 spine arrow versus a 340 spine arrow

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
yes they weight quite a bit but if your FOC is good they should not have that much effect on your setup. it most effects people on the lighter side of a setup like a guy that shoots a borderline 400 spine arrow versus a 340 spine arrow

I'm not a tech guru so you totally lost me on that one. All I know is my bow is sighted in and it's quiet... LOL

Milo

Tatonka guide.
okay for instance in a guy shoot a 65 pound bow with a 29 inch arrow and a 100 grain head he can generally float between a 400 and 340 spine arrow. depending on what they are wanting performance wise out of their bow. adding the 30 grains to the back of the arrow shifts its center of mass back towards the nock and makes it more unstable..again it depends. what is your setup ?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
OK, I will double check on the scale tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I'm shooting 65 pounds. My arrows are 28" (28 1/4 if you count the knocks, 29 if you count tip of practice heads) and I'm shooting 100 grain. Not sure about the 400 and 340 spine thing...

Dante, sorry for the hijack. I hope you don't mind, but since you had lighted nocks on the topic I tghought I could sneak in. I can start a new topic if you like.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
What brand of arrows are you shooting, Mike? There should be a number on the label that says 340 or 400 if they're eastons... CX arrows are 300 or 350 I think... And I don't remember what Gold Tip spine numbers are.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
What brand of arrows are you shooting, Mike? There should be a number on the label that says 340 or 400 if they're eastons... CX arrows are 300 or 350 I think... And I don't remember what Gold Tip spine numbers are.

GT are 35/55 55/75 75/95
Eastons are 500 400 340 & 300's
Carbon express are 150 250 350 450's

look for those numbers somewhere on your arrows

Milo

Tatonka guide.
i am comfortable with that setup that you should be fine if you try them

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I have the Easton X nocks and the buck I shot last year was right at last shooting light on the edge of a field and it was so impressionable that I will probably always shoot lighted nocks from here on out. I shoot the practice nocks and at 20 yards there is not enough noticable difference to make me worry about the weight issue.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Pope and Young cheater

How is it cheating? dosent help me find big deer, dosent magically make me be able to hit heart shots at 100 yards. All it does is allow me to know without a doubt where I hit the deer and find my arrow faster.

Do the nocturnal nocks work the same as the lumanock, or are they activated my inertia or a magnet?

inertia. they activate when you release. to turn them off you put a field point or the tip of a knife in a small hole at the base of the nock and slide the "switch" back in place.

Do they affect arrow flight at all? Added weight? Anything?

not that I've noticed. I shoot a 29 inch easton ST Epic 340. I have 5 arrows in my quiver, 3 with lighted nocks, 2 with plain nocks. I see no difference from one to the other out to 30 yards. they all hit the same spot.

BTW. It's still on. been 4 days, think I will turn it off now.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
How is it cheating? dosent help me find big deer, dosent magically make me be able to hit heart shots at 100 yards. All it does is allow me to know without a doubt where I hit the deer and find my arrow faster.

But the shitty thing is, you still don't get your name in P&Y if you use them, not that that matters to most people, but I think that's why he said it.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
But the shitty thing is, you still don't get your name in P&Y if you use them,

Cant undersatand why. If they attracted deer like flys to chit, or made your arrow some sort of a smart bomb, guided missle I could see that, but it dosent help you kill anything.

Oh well, guess my name aint goin in the hoitty toitty book then. Cause I like em and I'm gonna use em.