Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lithium batteries

Creamer

Athens
Any of you folks run lithium batteries in your cameras? I switched from alkaline to lithium in my first Cell Link in November. They definitely lasted a lot longer, but I saw an interesting decline. They stayed in the high percentage (above 85%) forever, then once they dropped below about 60%, they went downhill FAST. Like I said, they still lasted a lot longer in the Cell Link, I just thought it was interesting that they fell off fast once they started to go down on power. Anybody else see the same thing with them?

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Lithiums have a consistent voltage output from 100% battery life to nearly zero %, hence the reason they read 100% until almost the very end. Alkaline batteries start at maximum voltage, and slowly drop off after every picture, and this is why you slowly see the battery % drop with Alkaline. Also, the Lithiums I believe have slightly higher voltage than alkalines, which is why they last a bit longer. You are best off to change Lithiums once you see the battery % start to drop. Definitely a downfall to them, but they also aren't affected by the cold like Alkaline batteries.

I have ran straight Lithiums for three years now, and it's expensive, but worth it, especially from October through February. This year, I plan to take a different approach and run Alkaline batteries through the summer until the beginning of October.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'll echo Greg and JB, especially on the strategies to use different batteries given the situation. I take a similar approach to JB. My higher-end cameras get locks and lithium, but "throw-away" cams get regular old batteries and are rarely locked.

Reactions: jagermeister

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I use lithium batteries in all of my cameras and in most cams they will last 8-12 months...only exception is cell cams as they are always searching for a signal. I’ve had cameras that read 100% one day then dead the next time I check it a week later. It’s either all or none with them but they are definitely worth the extra money because of their long life.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I have switched to mostly lithium’s. Greg is correct.... once they do drop below 100% they are nearly done. Their lifespan is much longer than alkalines though.