Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Louisiana

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We back at the camp for this stupid cold weather coming in. Dj killed a buck yesterday w his bow on the nwr. Hunted this evening but haven’t heard back from him yet. Hunter coming in tomorrow. This week will either be epic if the stupid greenheads come down or possibly a frigid flop. May do some heated deer stand hunts mid day to evening.
IMG_5205.jpeg
IMG_5206.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Decided riding in a mile and walking a mile wasn’t for me, so dj went alone in the nwr and I took the easy route to a heated stand on property. Started slow but after the sun came out I started seeing deer, 16. Lucky made an appearance. Dj hasn’t seen anything yet and is hunting all day.
IMG_5071.jpeg
IMG_5058.jpeg

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well another exciting hunt this evening on the yote stand. Seen lucky again snd 25 other deer, mainly does and fawns. As I was loading up the truck at dark I could hear mallards flying over and pintails. Think I’m gonna go try for a limit of wood ducks in the morning. Dj sat all day bow hunting and never seen anything.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
A little update. I’m staying up for this polar event. After the duck hunt I got in the stand and seen 2 does right after. Got out at 11 and came back to the camp. Around noon, dj came out the woods, packed up and left.

Around 3, Hunter arrived and wasn’t going hunting so I left to sit the yote stand. It was in the mid 30’s and I figured the deer would come out the woodwork feeding hard as the temps lowered. I only seen 13 till dark, mostly fawns and few does. Got in the truck and it was 30 degrees. Felt much colder being a wet feel and nne wind at 11 mph. Cooked burgers on the electric grill inside and we chilling watching stupid playoffs and flipping back to hunting shows.

Plan in the morning, it will be 27 degrees and not warming up the whole day w chances of sleet. We are gonna walk a mile in the woods and hunt a deep slough for ducks. Gonna bring pearl and her tree platform to keep her out the water. We should get our limit. I will report after we thaw out from our hunt.

it will continue to get colder the next couple days and we should get above freezing Wednesday afternoon. Shocking for you Midwest people I know your laughing. All I can say is I will put my 30 degrees against your 30 and there is no comparison. This shit down here penetrates right through you in 5 minutes. I’ve bow hunted Missouri in 8 degrees and it just felt cold.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
A little update. I’m staying up for this polar event. After the duck hunt I got in the stand and seen 2 does right after. Got out at 11 and came back to the camp. Around noon, dj came out the woods, packed up and left.

Around 3, Hunter arrived and wasn’t going hunting so I left to sit the yote stand. It was in the mid 30’s and I figured the deer would come out the woodwork feeding hard as the temps lowered. I only seen 13 till dark, mostly fawns and few does. Got in the truck and it was 30 degrees. Felt much colder being a wet feel and nne wind at 11 mph. Cooked burgers on the electric grill inside and we chilling watching stupid playoffs and flipping back to hunting shows.

Plan in the morning, it will be 27 degrees and not warming up the whole day w chances of sleet. We are gonna walk a mile in the woods and hunt a deep slough for ducks. Gonna bring pearl and her tree platform to keep her out the water. We should get our limit. I will report after we thaw out from our hunt.

it will continue to get colder the next couple days and we should get above freezing Wednesday afternoon. Shocking for you Midwest people I know your laughing. All I can say is I will put my 30 degrees against your 30 and there is no comparison. This shit down here penetrates right through you in 5 minutes. I’ve bow hunted Missouri in 8 degrees and it just felt cold.

Agreed. The wet cold down here goes right through you no matter what you have on.

Reactions: Quantum673

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well woke up to nne wind at 14 mph and 25 degrees. We walked almost a mile through the palmettos (had a trail) and arrived at the slough. Hunter went out and hung the mojo from a limb and found a spot for Pearl out of the water. We waited till shooting time to get Pearl wet and setup. Just a few birds was seen. We killed all 5 that came in and only had 4 others that landed behind us.
IMG_5088.jpeg
IMG_6829.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
We planned on hunting the river this morning just sitting on the bank. Woke up and it was cold and windy. Laid back down. Hunter woke up about 15 minutes before shooting time and gathered his stuff and ran out. Later that morning he called me to bring pearl to get some birds. I arrived and he killed 3 spoonies and 2 gaddys. This evening he went and sat where we fish not far from the camp and finished his limit w a greenhead. I guess in the morning we will make a real hunt.
IMG_6843.jpeg

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Made a hunt this morning on the river. Truck was reading 10 degrees before daylight. We set up and threw decoys out. Day broke and teal and wood ducks were flying over the river. I told Hunter we wasn’t shooting early because I wasn’t putting pearl in the water that early. We had burlap sack for her to sit on, we brought towels and an extra coat. Also brought a Mr buddy heater. We shot a couple teal then it was on. Killed some spoonies, teal, gadwalls and a greenhead.
IMG_5109.jpeg
IMG_6850.jpeg
IMG_5114.jpeg

Last edited:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
How do you know you been hitting it hard and killing a bunch of ducks? When your bird dog don’t even want to get up when you call her. To be honest, she probably swam across the river more than you can imagine.
IMG_5146.jpeg

I’m not gonna lie, I feel the same way. Long walks through the woods to get to the river is taking a toll on my old ass.

Attachments

• IMG_5146.jpeg
    IMG_5146.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 55

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Good shit man. Did you drop the drake and hen on those doubles? 🤣
Actually it was two drakes that dropped. Couldn’t tell what was what early in the morning, but I knew they were mallards. The other double was 4 gadwalls came in and dropped two w one shot. Let’s just say Hunter was eating some humble pie when I had 5 ducks on the strap to his zero 😂. He does shoot good tho

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Well another good hunt by most people’s standards, but not in my eyes. 4 of us hunted and I told Hunter yesterday we needed to move and that we wouldn’t see the amount of birds. Guess who was right? Either way not bad, time to find an x somewhere, guess we going back to hunt rainbow teal.
IMG_5153.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Dj rolled in yesterday. We went to a woodie hole hoping it wasn’t froze over…..fat fucking whammy on that! I should’ve had my limit shooting at 5 birds total. Pearl wasn’t happy.
IMG_5159.jpeg
IMG_5160.jpeg

Pearl sporting an old school camo vest that actually is original from a very good dog I had 36 years ago. I miss all my great pups from the past. Wish there was iPhones back then to have a ton of pics to look back at the great memories.

Meanwhile Hunter and his two buddies went back on the river to a different spot w a flatboat and one paddle. Last I’ve heard was they had 6 teal and a gadwall. They gonna hang out till they had enough. It was 20 degrees and currently 24. I will update later.