Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from Mississippi.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Are there gators in that area?

Ain't many places that gators aren't around here. Those big lizards don't care about us though. During the day they're mostly laid up under the willows up above the bar in the thick stuff. Nobody should be up there messing around anyway. Just look for slides before stopping at a bar so you're not between them and the water if they decide to come down for a swim.

My dad and I went on a two day float trip on a creek just like that one but more up north. We slept on blankets under the stars on the bar probably about 15 feet apart. The next morning we woke up and there was a gator slide right between us. At some point in the night one either came down or went up the bar to the willows. We're not on their food chain and thy're scared of humans. People get in trouble when people start feeding them and they associate people with food. They're too stupid to know people are giving them food, they just know you mean food. So when some poor SOB comes along with no food, well they are the food.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Took the family to Horn Island today. It's uninhabited and part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, sits around 8 miles offshore. We anchored off the beach on the north end but walked over to the gulf side. Saw lots of dolphins and fish and the boys had a blast. Momma freaked a little when Sterling was about 30 feet out playing in the water and a 5 foot shark came cruising by about 10 feet off the beach. We were standing on the sand and I yelled at sterling to be still and started to walk in after him. The shark saw me moving and turned for deeper water. I bet if I didn't move he would have just kept cruising right along down the beach. I reassured her that there are people out at the islands every weekend and have been for a century and there has never been a fatal shark attack in Mississippi. Think that worked. Nope. All momma saw was her baby in the water with a shark. 😅. We're heading back tomorrow to spend the day though so she must not be too freaked out. 👍

Screenshot_20211009-232532_Boating.jpg
20211009_190953.jpg
20211009_191012.jpg
20211009_173353.jpg
20211009_190925.jpg

20211009_172326.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is where you suggested we visit if I'm not mistaken. Looked beautiful

Pretty much the same. The boat would have taken you to ship island and this is horn island. Horn is only about 3/4 wide at it widest point and I believe 6 miles long. I was texting nick last night and told him I saw a set of coon tracks out there. I just laughed because it's not the place you would expect raccoons to live. First off how the heck did they get out there 8 miles from shore. Maybe they rode storm debris as the surge went back out. Who knows. There is a ton of history on that island. From the Spanish, confederates, union, the army burning captured biological & chemical weapons from WWII. They even raised red wolves on the island in the late 80s to repopulate out west. Just a piece of sand off the coast of Mississippi.