Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Well, I had some real good deer action in the area, plus a whole lot of excitement tonight.

The first deer that I was able to truly identify, was a good shooter buck. As I was glassing him closely, he lead me to another buck, a much bigger one.

Next thing I know, the two of them go at it, locking antlers, heads towards to the ground and going straight to town, fighting, completely oblivious of what's happening around them.

I immediately packed up, climb down and tried to get to them as quickly as I could to put a stalk on'em.

By the time I reached the area of those two, they were already gone, and that all started I would say at least 5 minutes before sunset.

More of this evening's hunt details will be coming up next within my hunt journal.

To put it mildly, I'm freaking pumped for tomorrow morning's hunt already!

Just so I don't leave anyone hanging in the balance and too make a long story short for some, I saw 8 more deer this evening, all antlerless, right after the first two shooter bucks, right up through quitting time and all of them were within 50 yards of me at one point. More to that story as well within my hunt journal next. Before I saw them, I previously had a real good suspicion where those ladies were held up at lately. Now I know for sure where they've been holding up, which probably explains why those two big bucks were fighting within that same area.

Anyways, I finally got in my first deer stalk of the season this evening and I had some down right fun while doing it. In fact, some of it just might be captured on my bow Tactacam. I'll be going through whatever footage I do have right after this post.

Bowkills

Nw oh
image.jpeg
just getting in. Shot her this evening well yesterday eve now. Came across the field shot her at quartering toward me. Arrow middle body then all up in them guts into opposite back leg so basically the best gut shot one could hope for dispite mess. Saw her get to the lot next door 175yrds. Didn't think she'd get there hell with a whole 20" crossbow bolt twisting up in ya how could you move. Anyway I had to have clipped a bleeder as I could see her very bloodied when she got across the field. Still Gave her 5 hrs due to her reaction although I believe she died upon entering the woods. 1/2 mile walk and drag back. Borrowed a sled. Very nice but I wish I'd just froze riding a quad 8miles round trip. Freezer filling in progress. Sleeping in until gun or gun weekend. Sausage!!!!

Steelheadtracker

Had 2 small bucks come in about 5 min ago. They spared for a second and the smaller guy gave up. Theu hung out for a few min then went down wind of me and disnt like something. Didnt bust but walked fast out of the area. The smaller guy just saw that the other buck thought something was wrong so he left.

Johnny44

Came to a new spot on public land I’ve barely scouted. Already occupied. Himmed and haad over what to do. Tried to walk in to a different area, that wasn’t happening. Drive 1/4 mile up the road and found an area worth a try. Daylight was breaking. Figured it was better than going home. About to lose hope and go home about 10 minutes ago and 2 itty bitties came to 15 yards. Suppose I’ll hang out a little while longer!!!!

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
View attachment 114788 just getting in. Shot her this evening well yesterday eve now. Came across the field shot her at quartering toward me. Arrow middle body then all up in them guts into opposite back leg so basically the best gut shot one could hope for dispite mess. Saw her get to the lot next door 175yrds. Didn't think she'd get there hell with a whole 20" crossbow bolt twisting up in ya how could you move. Anyway I had to have clipped a bleeder as I could see her very bloodied when she got across the field. Still Gave her 5 hrs due to her reaction although I believe she died upon entering the woods. 1/2 mile walk and drag back. Borrowed a sled. Very nice but I wish I'd just froze riding a quad 8miles round trip. Freezer filling in progress. Sleeping in until gun or gun weekend. Sausage!!!!
Congrats man! She looks so peaceful..and tasty...

Reactions: Bowkills and "J"