Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE from the stand 2020-21

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
As I previously mentioned within my last 'live' post, I did see the head of one antlerless deer moving East towards the middle of the CRP field, away from me. I believe there were more with her that I couldn't see, but heard them.

Now the big fog cloud just moved in and I can barely make out the edge of the CRP field, closet to me, approximately 45 yards away. Totally unable to see out into it at the moment.

My current 360* view.

It's definitely foggy!

Last edited:

Jamie

Ohio
What a gorgeous morning. These are the kind I dream about while I’m standing on a ladder in August sweating my balls off. Been standing here since 6:40 and seen 28 deer, four 18 month old bucks. A doe with triplets. Three other doe families of 4, 6, and 7 plus a few single deer. A skipper 7 cruising through right now. Only 6 of them did not come within less than 20 yards of me. I’ve had my claws out three times on 10-12 yard shots. A big old nanny doe looked up at me three times, but did not make me. A yearling doe got a little whiff of me, but with no air moving she was confused. Looking for me in almost opposite direction. She eased off at a poor angle for even a close shot.. Button buck looked up at me but did not make me. Two more steps and he was dead. Just then two skipper bucks chased a group of 7 skin heads right at him. Not much I can do with 20 eyeballs within 20 yards of me. 29 this morning, 20 yesterday morning. Should be able to get a good opportunity with the revolver tomorrow. 😀

Fletch

Supporting Member
Spencer.... No mistake.. That's what makes a true "deer hunter" and not a "killer"... Takes a dedicated deer hunter to pass on a buck like that, esp on the last day... And as the saying goes: Don't shoot something on the last day that you would pass on opening day.... Your a good man, now let's hope he survives.....(y)(y)

Jamie

Ohio
Geezer, I remember what it was like to be glad to see a deer or two a week. And if somebody killed a buck, I mean anything with horns with a bow and arrow, it was big news. These really are the golden years of deer hunting in Ohio. I just cannot hunt 60-70 days a season with a bow like I used to.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Geezer, I remember what it was like to be glad to see a deer or two a week. And if somebody killed a buck, I mean anything with horns with a bow and arrow, it was big news. These really are the golden years of deer hunting in Ohio. I just cannot hunt 60-70 days a season with a bow like I used to.

I remember when it was a big deal to see tracks - my first chance at a buck with a bow back then I screwed up - that was befor a industry was built around deer hunting - dang

Reactions: xbowguy and Spencie

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Hey @Spencie , I just did a quick review of my season and I'm not too far behind you buddy!

175.5 hours of archery with 257 deer sighted and approximately 35 of those were bucks. Not too bad I'd say for me.

I have no intension in throwing in the towel just yet either. I've had nothing but a great time while afield this season so far and I absolutely feel great! Being outdoors this time of the year always keeps me well in check and does my soul good.

Heading out right now to clear me a spot for my pop-up ground blind for the shitty weather were suppose to receive tomorrow.

Gun season opener, here we come!

Good luck tomorrow everybody!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Bring on the nasty weather cause I'm ready for it!

This afternonon, I cleared a perfect spot where I'm just South of the North Ridge, the main creek and the South wooded creek shelf, right where I believe those two large bucks came out, along with a 7 doe group the other evening, two days ago.

(Top to bottom, left to right: Looking at the spot that I cleared for my pop-up ground blind with a huge AR500 steel-plate in front & dirt mounds just behind, looking NW towards the standing 7-acre CRP field just on the other side of the honeysuckle hedgerow, looking SE towards the North ridge, main creek & shelf, looking North towards the ridge, main creek & thick wooded shelf. Behind me is the open cut down 19-acre CRP field with the South wooded ridge right along the edge.)
20201129_143440.jpg

Pop-up ground blind in place moments ago with some decent cover for being nearly in the middle of a large valley bowl.
20201129_144248.jpg

My view facing towards the North location where I expect most of the deer to come from, along with how I enter & exit the blind. Tomorrow and the next, the winds will be in my face from the N-NW in the double digits, and wet.
20201129_144358.jpg

What's behind me, the open cut down 19-arce CRP field and the South Ridge. Top to bottom, left to right: East, South & West.
20201129_150235.jpg

Okay then, that's all that I have for the moment, coming from me 'live' within my new gun week setup. I'm totally good to go for at least the next two days, which will be most likely, all day sits if need be.

Once again, I say good luck to all the members that will be out hunting this gun week and be safe.

Please DO NOT forget your blaze orange 'TOO'! :)

Just recieved weather advisory:

SmartSelect_20201129-153725_FEMA.jpg

Last edited: