Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand 2021/22

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That's wasn't going to work. Can't remember last time (if ever) I've changed stands due to high winds. Maybe due to wind changing direction but never die to high winds. I'm now tucked in the woods a bit. It is an all or nothing stand. Either you have deer in bow range or see nothing. Can see bits of the picked bean field. I see trails from the few does running this section. Had fresh hood prints in the mud where I crossed the railroad tracks and entered 15yds into the woods to climb my stand. One set. Decent size. Likely from the morning rain. Let's hope same deer exits same path.

TinyTucky

The Flatlands
Firstly, holy shit is it windy!!!! Secondly, I am settled in a perfect maple, closest hangable tree to a massive white oak. Jumped one doe bedded under it and had another bust me half way up the tree. Phenomenal cover in front and behind me, with a nice split in the tree even with my hips. Had a squirrel dash by a few times with a crab apple in his mouth so I’d imagine there’s a tree nearby. Super confident in this setup but don’t want to get my hopes up too high. Shots are limited to 25 yards with all the saplings still covered with leaves around me. Good luck to anyone else that’s iut getting blown around.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
20211021_170022.jpg

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
Three does and three small bucks. One unidentified buck during the monsoon we had here in guernsey about an hour and twenty ago. Couldn’t see ten feet in front of you none the less 32 yards.. all I saw was a bit of horns and a giant body. Great sit, none the less. Will be at it hard this weekend and then my twelve day vacation starts Wednesday of next week!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I can't be the only one hunting a Friday morning with a cold front? Although, I'm not sure you can call this hunting. More like sitting in a tree. Squirrels and birds. Not surprised. I bumbled my way into the stand so horribly I think I heard Benny Hill music playing. Seldom hunted stand because it is in a great spot. But close to bedding and heavy travel routes so I cautiously hunt it. Entry this morning was so pathetic. Bumbling along and missed the tree. Made a horrible racket. Finally located tree and realized no life line. And I didn't bring a rope. So I'm uo 20-25' with a harness and it is attached to nothing. That is stupid. I know better.

Was hoping to learn a bit. Cameras aren't showing much here. Was hoping time in the tree might show me they are just using a different route. While they might be, I suspect my Kosmo Kramer entry gave them enough warning to avoid this area. Oh well. Beautiful morning to clear my mind. Life is good.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Thought I was going to have another action packed deer hunt this morning based on the number of deer I saw on the way here, including a huge tremendous buck just a couple of miles away but, it's been slow and quiet so far instead.

Just one young 9 point and he showed up just before 8:00 a.m., then stuck around for about 40 minutes and eventually headed North over the top of the hill, out of the immediate area.
20211022_082811.jpg

Hardly any wind this mornin and the squirrels are absolutely lovin it! There are several oaks & hickory trees all around me, all within 30 yards. At least a half dozen working squirrels are pickin and droppin whatever acorns & hickory nuts they can find still in the trees. None have stopped since that only lonely buck showed up. Hopefully all those newly fresh picked acorns & hickory nuts on the ground now will draw a good decent buck for me today.

Good luck to anyone else huntin today!