Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE! From the Stand 2022-2023 Edition

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
4 does one buck..the buck not interested in the does. I will get out some more but gonna be slammed at work after Thanksgiving till Xmas so will have to try and kill one in January. Nothing really on cams that interests me right now. Passed that real nice one up in October but hoping he makes it another year he has alot of potential. Good luck men.

Last edited:

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
Beautiful morning to be in the woods. No deer on WV public. Between me and Tyler we saw 5 deer yesterday. He ran into some Amish guys packing out an 8 point. They had the head and backstraps.
Wildlife “management” Is a joke. 40 years ago this was freshly timbered. The number deer it held was unreal. Now it is mature timber with zero underbrush. When the acorns are gone so are the deer. The state could make some money by doing select cuts and clear cuts and improve the habitat for the wildlife. At the very least go to no does and an antler restriction on public.
Rant over.
Mike NewsomE
Same exact thing one state over in Virginia. No deer on the mountains, they're all on the little bit of Ag.

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Had a little break but I'm ready to get back at it tomorrow. Gun season next week but will still be using my crossbow. My right eye is shot. Have a appointment Dec.1 for pre cataract surgery testing. I can't see the front sight on my pistol or shotgun and there's not enough time to try to learn with the other eye. Good luck to the hunters getting out!

Bowkills

Nw oh
20221122_161321.jpg
might as well try to get him a shot

Bowkills

Nw oh
Good hunt 13 popped out from the lot next door. 2 bucks young 8pts. Across the section 2 or 3 came out a lot 1 of the bucks ran 350 to 400yds smelled them and ran right back. A doe and 2 fawns fed down at 65yards that came from me. Watched them and then small herd walked by at in the almost darkness. Tried howling like a coyote 3 times and the 3 just stood there. I told him lets go. Saw 18 total. All young deer. We have the most deer since the herd reduction plan early 2000s.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Had 5 does come out 65yrds out, closest only made it to 50. Just needed 10 more before he got the green light. He was pumped and did great listening, getting safety off and being ready. They crossed directly downwind and the scent smoker did its job. He was shaking like a leaf and couldn't stop smiling knowing he's getting closer. Great hunt with my son tonight!

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Hunted from 4:00PM until dark. Saw five deer during the last half hour. Two bucks, two antlerless and one unknown. This video contains images of the two bucks that I encountered during this evening's short archery hunt (4-5:40PM).

Those were the only two that got within range, and I could have easily shot either one of them.

The first encounter was a buck that I've had a close encounter once before a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be a rather busy buck, let me tell ya, always on the go, always seems to be seeking.
The other buck I've encountered before as well, a few times. A young six point that stayed very nearby for about 10 minutes or so, then moved on and met up with the other antlerless deer eventually, about half way down within the picked cornfield, right near the field wooded edge, further on south away from me, approximately 100 yards away.
The unknown deer I believe was also another young antlerless I suspect. It was with the other two antlerless, however I couldn't ever get a clear view of it, so that is why I listed it as an 'unknown'.

Not a arrow ever took flight tonight, so not a mess was made. Just another fun hunt @theotherfarm.

Good night all!

Last edited:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Beautiful morning to be in the woods. No deer on WV public. Between me and Tyler we saw 5 deer yesterday. He ran into some Amish guys packing out an 8 point. They had the head and backstraps.
Wildlife “management” Is a joke. 40 years ago this was freshly timbered. The number deer it held was unreal. Now it is mature timber with zero underbrush. When the acorns are gone so are the deer. The state could make some money by doing select cuts and clear cuts and improve the habitat for the wildlife. At the very least go to no does and an antler restriction on public.
Rant over.
Mike NewsomE
I'm slowly but surely correcting the same issue on the farm. The storm this spring helped a ton in creating some rich cover in otherwise mature open woods.