Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

LIVE! From the Stand 2023-2024 Edition

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I’m just agitated, been putting in the time and boot prints w nothing to hope for. Just let me see a good deer at 150-200 yards and it will change, haven’t even seen one while driving
Trust me…I’ve been there. Only thing I can say is that every second you are on stand is one second closer to your next kill. Hang in there Nick.👍

72 degrees and blowing 15 mph. Ain’t been seeing shit in the evenings. I’ve probably put in 100k steps in since we been here. One day it was 20k. I’ve put some prints down and hunted several spots. Have yet to lay eyes on a 3yr old or better. You can say I’m a little bitter right now.

Got to be a lease/land owner to kill. Should’ve brought my poles to fish the gar holes. I would’ve invited Dustin!
Hang in there dude. A few years ago I hunted hard all Rutcation and barely saw any deer. Got my buck in my last hour of hunting and pretty sure it was close to a record high at 79 degrees.

Concordmeadowsfarm

SE Ohio
Hit a few places in Wolf Creek this week hoping to get on something with Isaac my 12 y/o. Tons of pressure and very little mature buck sign. May head toward Zaleski or Vinton. Any history there or advice? Been hitting more places.
My place and surrounding neighbors were cleaned out by EHD last year. A few 2 years olds with a future but nothing ready to shoot. Also included my go to sections of Wayne. Tons of dead found last year and out of staters shooting basket racks this year- outlooks not great. 🤷‍♂️😊

Smawgunner2

Athens County
I’m just agitated, been putting in the time and boot prints w nothing to hope for. Just let me see a good deer at 150-200 yards and it will change, haven’t even seen one while driving
If it happens it happens. If it doesn’t you’re still experiencing pure bliss and solitude in the woods that most of the population doesn’t experience 👍🏼

Ohio
Well last night was a long night but it was the right decision to let him lay. About 4 yesterday a spike was pushing does through a bedding area. They started taking off everywhere and as I was watching the spike I heard a deep grunt. Looked to my right and see a good buck coming up the saddle. He turns right and I draw my bow. He’s going to cross at 25 to check a doe. All of a sudden he spins around to my left to check another doe but starts running. I ended up having to yell to get him to stop before he went into thick bedding. He was quartered away and front leg was back. I aimed back a bit and saw my arrow hit back but deflect straight down through the guts. He ran 20 yards into the thicket and bedded. He stood up after 30 minutes and staggered off. I had last saw him at about 70 yards and I could see I hit gut. At dark I snuck out. Shot a text to Rick and he confirmed my thought that the arrow deflected off a rib but likely still caught a little lung and liver. He said to wait until the morning and let him know but he had a good feeling about it. Went to where I first saw him bed this morning and found two more beds along the trail. Blood trail was very easy to follow. Never lost blood and found him stiff as a board in his bed 98 yards from the shot. I was worried about coyotes last night so I ripped off my boxers and hung them in a tree. Lol needless to say the coyotes didn’t touch him. I found this guys sheds last year with my dad and had several encounters with him last year. Thought he disappeared because I didn’t have a picture of him all year. Unfortunately, he broke off his g2 on the right but he’s still a heck of a deer. On the way out I found a deer that had been missing since August. It was a bummer because it’s a deer I’d been watching for two years that had a ton of potential. Not sure what happened as he was still in velvet so I’m guessing car or coyotes. Well that ends my buck deer hunting in Ohio for 2023. All in all I had a great hunt with just as good of an outcome.
IMG_5800.jpeg

Smawgunner2

Athens County
Well last night was a long night but it was the right decision to let him lay. About 4 yesterday a spike was pushing does through a bedding area. They started taking off everywhere and as I was watching the spike I heard a deep grunt. Looked to my right and see a good buck coming up the saddle. He turns right and I draw my bow. He’s going to cross at 25 to check a doe. All of a sudden he spins around to my left to check another doe but starts running. I ended up having to yell to get him to stop before he went into thick bedding. He was quartered away and front leg was back. I aimed back a bit and saw my arrow hit back but deflect straight down through the guts. He ran 20 yards into the thicket and bedded. He stood up after 30 minutes and staggered off. I had last saw him at about 70 yards and I could see I hit gut. At dark I snuck out. Shot a text to Rick and he confirmed my thought that the arrow deflected off a rib but likely still caught a little lung and liver. He said to wait until the morning and let him know but he had a good feeling about it. Went to where I first saw him bed this morning and found two more beds along the trail. Blood trail was very easy to follow. Never lost blood and found him stiff as a board in his bed 98 yards from the shot. I was worried about coyotes last night so I ripped off my boxers and hung them in a tree. Lol needless to say the coyotes didn’t touch him. I found this guys sheds last year with my dad and had several encounters with him last year. Thought he disappeared because I didn’t have a picture of him all year. Unfortunately, he broke off his g2 on the right but he’s still a heck of a deer. On the way out I found a deer that had been missing since August. It was a bummer because it’s a deer I’d been watching for two years that had a ton of potential. Not sure what happened as he was still in velvet so I’m guessing car or coyotes. Well that ends my buck deer hunting in Ohio for 2023. All in all I had a great hunt with just as good of an outcome. View attachment 187302
Outstanding

Reactions: Shoot-straight