Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Live from the stand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaacorps

Columbus
On a ground and pound recon mission on a new property tonight. First time I've hunted from the ground this year. Calm winds, feels like a good night. Good luck everyone!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hundreds of birds swarming the skies. They won't leave. Can't hear squat. Plenty of time left. SHOULD start here in next hour.

Isaacorps

Columbus
One doe at 80 yds at 7:00. First sit on this property, very promising. Lots of good travel corridors and cover. Hoping for good things during the rut 👍🏼

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Klay and I had a fantastic night in the blind. Started off kinda crappy. We each took our scent free showers. But when We got to our location to get dressed I noticed Klay smelled like a man whore. Dumb ass put on his axe deodorant. My hopes diminished.

However, I guess they like that smell as we had lots of action. Had a 4 point and two doe in early. The doe walked by at 45 yards. No shot. The 4 point fed at 30 yards and offered up several shots. Not big enough.

Around 6:15 I noticed two big bodied deer facing off with each other. Put the binos on them and it was an 8 and a 10 beating up on each other about 150 yards out. They went at it off and on for a good 30 minutes. Then the 8 took off after a doe. Unfortunately the doe lead him in the opposite direction.

We also heard sparring behind us but never got a visual on them ones.

Fun night getting to see the two big boys going at it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We each took our scent free showers. But when We got to our location to get dressed I noticed Klay smelled like a man whore. Dumb ass put on his axe deodorant. My hopes diminished.

Fun night getting to see the two big boys going at it.

lmao..... Kids, ya gotta love em lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Funny stuff Mike! Poor Klay taking the verbal abuse from dad. Did you at least smack him in the back of the head? lmao

I got bloody tonight. Not in a good way. Watched 5 does work through at 22yds. Last doe was chiseled like a body builder or something. Long body, long legs, built like a thoroughbred. She paused quartering away at 22yds and I opted to pass. Hour or hour and a half of shooting light was left. I figured it was a good sign of early movement. Then the next thing I know the other 4 were heading back the way they came and they were hauling butt. They disappeared except one who was trailing behind a bit. She decided to die 15-20yds in front of my climber. Somebody was ground hunting. Claims he was not on the property but he had to be right on the line. He took a quartering to shot on her straight thru the shoulder. Lucky he even killed her. Lucky I didn't come unglued. I patiently sit in my climber. An hour passes and I think maybe he knows I am in there so he was waiting for dark for me to finish. NOPE! 15-20min of shooting light left and he comes traipsing in. I wait for him to get about 5 yards in front of me and 15-20' below me and shout "Identify yourself." Dude nearly shit himself. Best part is I even got it on camera. I will not post it though. What a crap way to hunt. We don't get to hunt often as we would like. When we do, we sit in the stand for hours and generally it is awaiting the last 15-20min of daylight. Then someone ruins it. Ugh.

I helped him drag his doe off the property. I took his name and cell number. Text him my info. Told him if he has to enter the property ever again he better be contacting me first. We shall see.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Damn Phil, I'd be pissed as well! Hope he got the message!

I am pretty sure he got the message. He hunts with a buddy. Couple others he knows that hunt the property to the west. I think the word will get out. New sheriff in town. This property hasn't been hunted in decades. I gained the trust and permission of the owner because he wants someone to keep an eye on the place. I was just doing my job.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That really sucks Phil. Hopefully he wasn't hunting on the property you have permission on.
Claims he was on the property line and awaiting the deer to exit the property. I don't know. I have my suspicions. The deer would have been walking towards hjm. He shot thru the front shoulder on a pretty hard quartering to shot. May have been on property he had permission to hunt may not have been. Lucky he even killed her. Surprised she died so fast. He only got 8-10" into her and that was with a fixed broadhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.