Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Looking for broadhead recommendations

Buckkillr

Athens
While doing some research on expandable broadheads, I came across this:View attachment 90434
Victim? Really? Lmao!😂
Victim huh! So what kinda websites you finding this stuff in, maybe Hitman "r" us🤔

I tried the rages when they first came out, first shot ever at a deer with them and I heard them open as soon as it left and had a crazy flight. Maybe my fault I don't know but that sealed the deal for me, No more mechanicals

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Kempire

Asking a hunting forum for their preference in broadheads is like asking a forum of dudes their preference in women. You're going to get some universal alignment in a few fundamentals and some pockets where people are into something similar, but overall you'll find a neverending debate. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

With that said, I've shot a couple of deer now with NAP Killzones and I'm sold. There are no collars or bands, retention is by design and they have never failed to deploy appropriately (premature or failure to open). They fly well and the wound channel is just devastating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Floki

Rage knock offs 1 a piece eBay. I’m sure someone has done said this. Rage was actually suing the company for selling them because I believe they were making rage broad heads for them.

20 for 24$ or 3 for fifty and ya get a cool plastic package that says Rage on it.

Reactions: giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Rage knock offs 1 a piece eBay. I’m sure someone has done said this. Rage was actually suing the company for selling them because I believe they were making rage broad heads for them.

20 for 24$ or 3 for fifty and ya get a cool plastic package that says Rage on it.
I wanted something other than rage...I use them now but the last two deer I shot had lousy blood trails. Both hits were good as the one deer went 100 yards and the other 80. Tired of tracking scuff marks instead of blood.

Reactions: Floki

Floki

I wanted something other than rage...I use them now but the last two deer I shot had lousy blood trails. Both hits were good as the one deer went 100 yards and the other 80. Tired of tracking scuff marks instead of blood.

Yeah I’ve seen massive blood trails/holes as well. Then trails that ya can hardly follow and find the deer that shoulda left a lot more blood. Heck I bought 3 rages from store one year two fell apart. I guess it’s just what comes with mechanical broad heads.

Thunderheads use to be my go to. I think your going to somewhat have that eventually with any broad head.

I did use a brand years ago thing they were called gators or had an alligator on the package, were shaped like a spear. Was really impressed with them but never found them agin.

Reagan

Milford, OH
For those of you that had to track scuff marks, was their an exit hole?

I like Muzzy 3 blade. They leave an exit hole that I believe is key to a good blood trail.

No mechanicals for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
For those of you that had to track scuff marks, was their an exit hole?

I like Muzzy 3 blade. They leave an exit hole that I believe is key to a good blood trail.

No mechanicals for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last one took out both lungs and the top of the heart. High entry low exit. Should’ve been blood everywhere. I’ve even heard that rage blades are not sharp new in the package. I checked mine and they are sharp, but two deer in a row with perfect shots and very little blood has me looking for a new broad head.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
With that said, I've shot a couple of deer now with NAP Killzones and I'm sold. There are no collars or bands, retention is by design and they have never failed to deploy appropriately (premature or failure to open). They fly well and the wound channel is just devastating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
This is good information, might make me try these.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
ive only shot one deer with a rage, blew through it but the intestines plugged the hole up and there was no blood too follow. Backed out and did a grid search the next morning and found her 50 yards from where I stopped. 6” of the intestines were sticking outta the exit hole. Is that the rages fault?

djohn9713

Looking to change out the broadhead game this year. We have always used Montec G5. Accuracy is great. Only issue is no blood trail the last few deer. The thing cuts such a clean hole there seems to be little blood loss outside the deer itself. I'm a little hesitant with mechanicals, but am willing to try something out that will fly straight and leave a trail.

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
Get the biggest, baddest heaviest single bevel BH you can find and stick that fugger on the front of whatever you're shooting now.

• Haha
Reactions: giles

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Looking to change out the broadhead game this year. We have always used Montec G5. Accuracy is great. Only issue is no blood trail the last few deer. The thing cuts such a clean hole there seems to be little blood loss outside the deer itself. I'm a little hesitant with mechanicals, but am willing to try something out that will fly straight and leave a trail.
I too was hesitate using mechanicals when I first decided to give them a try and tested various brands over the past two seasons. I will be using these this season. For many years, over a decade, I used the NAP 125g fixed three blade Thunderheads and still do. It kind of depends on the situation I find myself in or what I intend on targeting. I always keep two of them within my arrow quiver out of the five arrows that head out with me.

Robusto-2.0-product.jpg

Below is what a similar broadhead as above (NAP 125g first cut 2" two blade) did two seasons ago and I recorded the blood tracking. I have had consistent results with rage as well regarding blood trails. I tried perhaps a total of four other mechanical manufactures/brands total that have killed deer with each of them, however I do prefer this type of broadhead configuration if I am going to use a mechanical, which is at least 2" cutting two blade. Very accurate, much like field points, even at longer ranges.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
Been shooting the Nap spits 100s since they hit the market, the blood trails are like a painted path through the forest, LOL, i have yet to track a deer over a hundred yards, these two deer last season an hour apart fell to the spitfire 100s, I watched them both go down within 70 yards, that being said these are my go to broadheads to this day, many deer have fallen to these, 👌 👌 👌

Attachments

• 11538.jpeg
    11538.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 116

Buckkillr

Athens
I'm trying a set that I seen on public hunting for the first time, grizzly 190 grain usually use the 4 blade muzzys and never had a problem so not sure why I'm even doing it and may chicken out before season and use the muzzys