Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Maddie Bell

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brock, the wife doing some digging also found that the mom was overbearing and manipulative with the daughter. When the story broke I showed her the long and her first intuition was what ultimately came down. I feel bad for them all that it went down like this. But the adults in that crowd could have remedied that situation years ago. I know hindsight is always 20/20 and arm chair quarterbacking is a whole lot easier. We went through a lot of shot with our daughter and luckily for us it didn’t end with the cops and fbi involved.
Here’s hoping this eye opening experience can be fixed and they can move on in a new chapter down the road.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Facebook. We are 2+ hours away. I'm amazed how many threads there are locally. I read a few. People 2-3hrs away discussing it. Making assumptions. Then you read "well I grew up close. My friend's friend's cousin. . . Said that. . . " I won't repeat them but there were a lot of far fetched things being tossed around. I don't want to promote rumors. I will admit some were believable. I don't know anything outside of what Brock shared. Just bizarre how fast things spread with social media. Now if only the positive things spread as fast as the negativity and lies and fake media crap.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The rumor mill has been running three full shifts here too, Phil.
Who knows, could be truth to all of them or none. Funny thing how folks like to fabricate stuff. What’s even funnier is it is usually folks that have no possible way of knowing a dang thing. I admittedly don’t KNOW anything. Heck, her dad just told me he still doesn’t know where she is or with who... her dad.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
The rumor mill has been running three full shifts here too, Phil.
Who knows, could be truth to all of them or none. Funny thing how folks like to fabricate stuff. What’s even funnier is it is usually folks that have no possible way of knowing a dang thing. I admittedly don’t KNOW anything. Heck, her dad just told me he still doesn’t know where she is or with who... her dad.
I think most if us are speculating, right? Not claiming we have specific insight into what happened. But guessing and trying to problem solve collectively. Speculation is what happens in 99% of all human conversation. Including here and the news. Speculating vs rumor milling are different in my opinion.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think most if us are speculating, right? Not claiming we have specific insight into what happened. But guessing and trying to problem solve collectively. Speculation is what happens in 99% of all human conversation. Including here and the news. Speculating vs rumor milling are different in my opinion.

What I read was full on rumor mill. 2+ hours away. No way was this speculation. Too bizarre. I won't even repeat it. I will not contribute to it. This family has enough on their plate.

Cogz

Cogz
TX
What I read was full on rumor mill. 2+ hours away. No way was this speculation. Too bizarre. I won't even repeat it. I will not contribute to it. This family has enough on their plate.
On Facebook I’m sure it was. I was differentiating between TOO and Facebook:)

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Late to the party, I am glad she is alive, but the family has a long road ahead of them. As the parent of two adult children, I can promise you however well I think I know them, there is stuff they keep from me. It is a horrible and hard situation, they need all our prayers for sure. The relationship changed forever, not that it is always a bad thing, but it has chafed for sure.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I told her dad the only thing for him to focus on right now is that she is alive. In time, she will likely reach out to him and they can rebuild their relationship. What other option does he have?
Exactly, great advice Brock....If you would have told me when our daughter was 15-19 that she’d be a well adjusted adult with a sense of community and be very responsible? I’d of laughed at you. It can and does happen. Tell him too keep his head up and put one foot in front of the other....

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I told her dad the only thing for him to focus on right now is that she is alive. In time, she will likely reach out to him and they can rebuild their relationship. What other option does he have?
Grateful he should be. Doesn't sound like HE was the problem. Looking at Mom, I can see the overbearing and manipulative part. Hope it all gets straightened out for the best in everyone involved.

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Late to the party, I am glad she is alive, but the family has a long road ahead of them. As the parent of two adult children, I can promise you however well I think I know them, there is stuff they keep from me.

I have a very good friend that was talking about his 20 something son. He said “I’m glad that Junior has never even been tempted to try alcohol“. I didn’t tell him that I knew Junior was regularly drinking beer at the neighbors. Not getting drunk but still drinking😂

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I have a very good friend that was talking about his 20 something son. He said “I’m glad that Junior has never even been tempted to try alcohol“. I didn’t tell him that I knew Junior was regularly drinking beer at the neighbors. Not getting drunk but still drinking😂

I know many people like this, now I am curious did the parent say tempted because they thinking drinking is a sin? The reason I ask is that view of alcohol being forbidden often drives underage kids to sneak the forbidden stuff.