Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

major screw up in ATF

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/us/ex-atf-agent-ar-15/index.html

In his 23 years with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Dan O'Kelly was one of the agency's top gun experts.

He served for five years as the lead firearms technology instructor at the ATF National Academy, where he co-wrote the curriculum for incoming agents.

These days, however, O'Kelly is using his formidable firearms expertise and institutional knowledge of the ATF to take aim at his former employer.
He's at the center of a brewing legal dispute that federal prosecutors say has the potential to upend the 1968 Gun Control Act and "seriously undermine the ATF's ability to trace and regulate firearms nationwide."

Reactions: Ohiosam

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
News of some of these decisions has been floating around for awhile. Some think this means we will be able to buy lowers without going through an FFL. That ain’t going to happen. More likely what will happen is uppers and lowers will both be serialized and both will have to be transferred by FFLs. I believe that the way the ATF has been interpreting the law is correct and as congress intended: a single major portion of the firearm, one that the firearm can’t operate without, is serialized.

“That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel."

It’s not just ARs, most semiauto pistols are similar. The frame doesn’t house the bolt, and the barrel doesn’t thread into the frame. Rifles like the marlin 39 takedown the receiver is split in 2 sides, the serialized side has the triggers group and hammer, the unserialzed side has the bolt and barrel.

I see nothing good coming from these decisions.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I agree Sam. It'll be a bad day if we have to start doing FFL paperwork for all serialized parts. Especially when modern guns put a serial on seemingly every part in the damn gun.

Reactions: Archertl