Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Meigs County?????

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My cousin has a farm in Meigs. He’s grown up in that area, owns a pretty good chunk now. He’s killed some dandies. My dad killed his first deer in 1962 in Meigs county. The population there was better than most anywhere in the state at the time. That was on another Aunts farm. Dad grew up in Vinton County and could have hunted most any hilltop he wished but chose to drive to Meigs. If you want to hunt deer, I can’t imagine the draw backs are any worse in Meigs than anywhere else, and the deer population is about as good as anywhere and better than most.

Fletch

Supporting Member
My cousin has a farm in Meigs. He’s grown up in that area, owns a pretty good chunk now. He’s killed some dandies. My dad killed his first deer in 1962 in Meigs county. The population there was better than most anywhere in the state at the time. That was on another Aunts farm. Dad grew up in Vinton County and could have hunted most any hilltop he wished but chose to drive to Meigs. If you want to hunt deer, I can’t imagine the draw backs are any worse in Meigs than anywhere else, and the deer population is about as good as anywhere and better than most.
Thanks Brock....

George... Certain counties are out of my price range... Licking property is very steep... For a piece of property to just hunt on I'm willing to spend $75-100,000... Just gotta be patient... Will put boots on the ground this spring, summer... In the mean time if anyone heard of a small piece up for lease please let me know....
I will keep my eyes open and let my wife know as she often is looking at listings for down there.

Reactions: Fletch

Bigcountry40

After reading this thread I started looking at Ohio hunting land and may have found a few pieces of property I am interested in and I had all but given up on Ohio and was looking in Michigan. So thank you

Bighoun52

In the woods
Guys that have been in Ohio a long time? How much has land values went up over past 10 years? And what’s causing it? Is it land companies selling at higher prices or is it just a natural progression??

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Guys that have been in Ohio a long time? How much has land values went up over past 10 years? And what’s causing it? Is it land companies selling at higher prices or is it just a natural progression??
In NE Ohio into SE Ohio the main driver was the oil and gas industry and the leasing and mineral rights.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
My neighbor bought 64 acres around 2013 for around $70,000...just sold it for $155,000. He did do some improvements....fenced in the entire property and built a metal barn. He had cattle on it but sold his stock last year. Land used to be around $1400 per acre ten years ago but now the cheapest is around $2000, if you can find it. It can be found though as a couple of my friends just bought a farm in Washington county for around $1000 an acre. Old farm house in very bad shape (built around 1870) and does have a barn...253 acres for $260,000. Smaller acreage will be $2000 an acre or more.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Been looking for awhile now.... One thing I've found is alot of land for sale has been logged... That's a big turn off for me as I don't want to buy a bunch of tree tops and stumps... Also mineral rights always come up, again unless mineral rights go with land I'm not interested.... So those are two big things to consider...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Been looking for awhile now.... One thing I've found is alot of land for sale has been logged... That's a big turn off for me as I don't want to buy a bunch of tree tops and stumps... Also mineral rights always come up, again unless mineral rights go with land I'm not interested.... So those are two big things to consider...
Something that was logged 20 years ago would be something I’d consider...great bedding cover. Mineral rights weren’t important to me...I bought the land for hunting, fishing, shed hunting and possibly look for arrowheads in the creek. When I get too old to trudge those hills, I’ll sell it and get my money back and then some. The farm my friends just bought didn’t come with mineral rights...they wanted another $300,000 for that. They do get free gas though. They just wanted a good place to hunt.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Something that was logged 20 years ago would be something I’d consider...great bedding cover. Mineral rights weren’t important to me...I bought the land for hunting, fishing, shed hunting and possibly look for arrowheads in the creek. When I get too old to trudge those hills, I’ll sell it and get my money back and then some. The farm my friends just bought didn’t come with mineral rights...they wanted another $300,000 for that. They do get free gas though. They just wanted a good place to hunt.
George as long as it was selective logging and they left some big trees, 20 years ago wouldn't be bad as with all the new growth it would be beneficial to all wildlife... As far as mineral rights I'm not interested in what's under the ground... I don't know the laws when it comes to minerals but I would be fuming if I went to hunt and there was an oil rig there... Don't know if that could happen but I'd be worried... Just think you could go to Vinton County and some little Mexican could be operating some big excavating equipment...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
When you don’t get mineral rights and the people who own the rights lease it and have a company come in and mine or drill on it?
I guess it’s possible but the terrain is steep, steep enough that they bypassed my property when they strip mined the area 30 years ago. Plus there’s a creek in the bottom that I’m sure they’d have to take special precautions not to pollute.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Bigcountry40

I havent done that much research how long does it take for a complete clear cut to become brushy and resemble CRP? I remember seeing one on route 30 clear cut in 2015 and now the brush, trees, growth etc looks extremely thick and tall, appears to be great habitat. I have considered buying clear cut on several occasions. I looked at it was an opportunity to possible create your own habitat lay out, am I wrong if so someone please correct me or inform me.

Reactions: Big_Holla