Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Meigs County?????

Bigcountry40

Michigan has a lot of hunters bailing and heading to Ohio so I'm sure there's land for sale at decent prices LOL!!
Well if you see any great deals please let me know, because other than the U.P what I have seen (only been looking in the lower peninsula for a couple of months) is comparable to Ohio.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Land has doubled here thanks to O&G skewing the market, and people's perceptions of what things are worse. Rich hunters have also contributed to the inflation by paying above market for hunting properties. In my line of work (real estate development), prices are insane. "Priced to hold" is how most things are listed around here.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Big country.... Last year I went to check out a piece to lease and the guy said he had property in Monroe County... Said he'd give me a great price on it... I'll see if I can find his name and address and PM them to you... Send him a letter, maybe it's still for sale...

Reactions: Bigcountry40

Buckkillr

Athens
Still in search of some property and was wondering about Meigs County.... What's the pros and cons of it??? Is it known to produce quality deer??? Land seems a little cheaper there...
Nothing wrong with genetics, I hunt the border and hear and see alot of pictures of quality deer out of meigs. 2 years ago the guy that owns the local hardware store(lives in meigs) was telling me his area was hit hard with CWD, something like 50 deer found dead, sounds like alot but maybe!
Though I live nearly on athens/meigs border I don't spend any time over there but agree there is alot of people down there that have no rules, and worse the further south but lots and lots of good people too. Very poor county but most of the wealthy people I know live in meigs lol.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Big country, check your PM's as I sent you a name and address of someone that had land for sale last year.....

Reactions: Bigcountry40

Fletch

Supporting Member
Buckkillr thanks for the info.... I talked to a local CO and he said like anywhere Meigs has its issues, however they are not any more than any other county in Ohio... I'll say this: Guy was a pleasure to talk to and was a very good representative of the ODNR.... (y)

Hello, New member here that has been hunting Ohio since 2014 and love coming out to Ohio bow and gun hunting. Srg Fury is spot on when he says stay away from properties with ATV traffic, lots of houses nearby and tree stands along the property lines oh and I would add "no trespassing" signs too. That is a red flag showing that tresspassing has been an issue in the past. That said, I have leased properties in Muskingum, Columbiana and this year Guernsey. Never locked anything like cameras or treestands and have never had anything taken. Muskingum had the best quality/lowest deer numbers however all three counties had quality bucks. Would love to buy, but it really takes a season to know you area and neighbors. Hunt the property or Lease for a season, then buy is the best scenario if you can find a seller willing to do that. Cheers

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Hello, New member here that has been hunting Ohio since 2014 and love coming out to Ohio bow and gun hunting. Srg Fury is spot on when he says stay away from properties with ATV traffic, lots of houses nearby and tree stands along the property lines oh and I would add "no trespassing" signs too. That is a red flag showing that tresspassing has been an issue in the past. That said, I have leased properties in Muskingum, Columbiana and this year Guernsey. Never locked anything like cameras or treestands and have never had anything taken. Muskingum had the best quality/lowest deer numbers however all three counties had quality bucks. Would love to buy, but it really takes a season to know you area and neighbors. Hunt the property or Lease for a season, then buy is the best scenario if you can find a seller willing to do that. Cheers
Welcome too the site, where’d you hunt in Columbiana county? I spent 30years traipsing through and living there....

Reactions: Fletch and Sgt Fury

Fletch

Supporting Member
Greenbunch your spot on with leasing with an option to buy....If you can find that option it's definately the way to go...I had that chance in Athens County and didn't... Kicking my self ever since then....