Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mike's first buck

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hunted public land in Williams co this morning. It sounded like WW3. This is my first experience gun hunting. Wow. Well, this guy came running into the woods from across the road and he was coming right towards me. Long story short, I suck at shooting guns and I finally hit him on the third try. He was only like 15 yards away and he dropped, got up and proceeded to jump in the creek and die, totally under water. He would have been a 10 point, but he lost some antler on one side. I hit my nose really hard with the scope and to make matters worse, I hit his stomach. Yes, he was eating corn recently. I felt really bad about that, but I also hit his liver. The creek was only 5 yards away. I feel as though I'm still intimidated by the gun so I'll have to work that out. I can say that I like bow hunting better. The deer was obviously panic stricken and I didn't care for that and I do know I should have expected that being on public land. Anyway, I'm thrilled with this deer even though he is not complete. Oh, and since I hunt by myself, I'm getting a friggin' cart. This deer was a challenge to drag out by myself.

DSCF4111.jpgDSCF4107.jpgDSCF4104.jpgDSCF4105.jpg

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Nice....Looks like the scope hurt!!! Thats one reason why I dont know if I want a shotgun with a scope. hahahahaa

Nice buck, Too bad he lost his other side..

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congrats Mike! Make a round trip buddy, I have a cart for $70 in the box. haha

Awesome season you have had! I am happy for you. Now you can at least say you have experienced gun season on public land. If you never do it again, it is not as if you haven't tried it.

As uncomfortable as you may have been with the gun, trust me here, there were many more out there very comfortable with guns that should NOT have had them in their hands. You were probably more careful and safe than some of the "hunters" slinging lead everywhere today.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Congrats Mike! Make a round trip buddy, I have a cart for $70 in the box. haha

Awesome season you have had! I am happy for you. Now you can at least say you have experienced gun season on public land. If you never do it again, it is not as if you haven't tried it.

As uncomfortable as you may have been with the gun, trust me here, there were many more out there very comfortable with guns that should NOT have had them in their hands. You were probably more careful and safe than some of the "hunters" slinging lead everywhere today.

Thanks guys. I've been blessed to say the least. I'll probably take you up on that cart too.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Been there done that with the scope and bloody nose. Lol Just hold her a little tighter next time :smiley_blackeye:

Congrats on the buck. Nice one! Too bad the other side wasn't still intact... he'd been a good one for the wall.

Yes, the deer most of the time during gun are panic stricken. I don't care for that either. Bow is so much better. Those guys on TV shooting bucks with guns have it made. Us normal guys get deer running in from crazy directions during gun week. Makes it exciting, but it also makes you appreciate bow hunting even more.

Either way, congrats on the buck and chalk one up for your experience. :smiley_clap:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Congrats on a very nice public land gun buck. He looks like he was a fighter :D.

Nice scope rash on the bridge of the nose there too :D. One reason I don't use a scope with my slug gun. Things kick like a mule and push that scope right back at ya :smiley_blackeye:.

Racking up a hell of a year Mike. Congrats again man.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks guys. Yep, first one ever. I made a lasso out of my pull cord and played cowboy for 10 minutes until I caught his antler. I actually caught the broken side.
:smiley_confused_vra

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a scope on the muzzie, but I go open sights on my slug gun. Figure if I can't hit it at 100yds or less open sights, then I don't need to shoot it. This might change as I get older, but for now it works. I won't take a shot that far anyway in most places I hunt. I do need to get my scope mounted and sighted in on the new muzzle loader though. Some of the places I hunt this year I can really reach out and touch them. Fortunately, the property I would like to take a doe out of is not pressured. We are trying to make this the "safe place" for them. Should not have to take a shot at any running deer. Maybe I should say, I WILL not take a shot at a running deer. Walking yes. Running, no.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats Mike!! That's a great story & buck to go along with it. Can't beat that for heavily pressured public land.

And the scope mark... been there, done that too. :smiley_bril:

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Congrats on a great buck Mike!

Little scope-bite just adds to the story. I must say I did get a laugh picturing you roping your buck from the water. Again, adds to the story.