Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morels

Diablo54

Outside
I'm looking to get out this weekend and do some looking finally. Could somebody help me out with some good public land places and tips on looking in southern ohio, I'll be in either hocking, Athens or vinton county. I'm used to flat land here in Clark county and the hills are a whole new ball game to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try strouds run it is in Athens. . Ash trees facing north.

The Wayne Nat forest is close also.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looked around on a piece of my hunting property yesterday but didn't find any. The ramps and may apples are pretty thick and already pretty tall. Not sure if I could have seen them even if they had popped up. Still really soggy out there too and with more rain today it isn't looking good lol. Might be next week before they get going around my place but by then you will never see them with the undergrowth growing like it is.

Side note: Ticks are unbelievable out there as well lol. Be careful out there and make sure to check when you get home.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I've never found any. I might try this weekend just for the hell of it. Pretty soggy here also with lots of growth but maybe I'll see something cool or find an antler. Thanks for the tip on the ticks. Haven't had any on me yet this year but I hate the little bastards.

NAC1989

Clark county
Try strouds run it is in Athens. . Ash trees facing north.

The Wayne Nat forest is close also.

Thanks Diablo! I tried looking down that way last year around lake hope and was clueless as to where to look and trees they grow around. Just use to the flat land around here and usually finding them around elms.

Diablo54

Outside
I lied to you. I am finding the big yellows on south slopes. The small greys on north slopes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399122398.261138.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399122410.043943.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399122421.436275.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399122431.484979.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Dang nice haul T! I wish we had em like that over here in the SW. We might in some places but don't have permission in many places either. Our public grounds are much smaller and in much higher populated areas which hurts TOO.

Congrats!!!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I found a grand total of 8 today. 2 of which were found in my yard while mowing. In fact, they were the two largest of the yellows I found! I'm about to quit!:)

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I have to admit, I sorta hate everyone of you that have found 'em in numbers. A few (very few) people that I've talked to have had good luck around here, but I'm certainly not finding them as I sometimes do. I have found a total of about 25 so far. The biggest yellow that I've found (I've only found 2 yellows), narrowly escaped destruction by my lawnmower yesterday...

Attachments

• Madison-20140504-01477.jpg
    Madison-20140504-01477.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 76