Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mornin' geezer!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Now everything is mother board or bust
Back in 97 I had our 50’s vintage Lennox pulled out and a new York furnace with air conditioning installed. A quarter of our basement was eaten up by that old lennox and there’s this little file cabinet looking thing in its place 😂
More volume of air moving, using less power. The first time powering it up we had a big mess on our hands.... Coal dust covered everything within 5’ of the vents 😂
We moved in 2019 and the only thing that ever failed was the high temp cutout. Of course on the coldest day of that year 😂

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Its been sad to see another industry being purposely engineered for failure and replacement. The reality is you are only going to get around 15 yrs out of your heating equipment. If the parts are still available they'll be a quarter of the cost of a new furnace. They don't want stuff to last 40-50 years now. They can't make any money that way.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Its been sad to see another industry being purposely engineered for failure and replacement. The reality is you are only going to get around 15 yrs out of your heating equipment. If the parts are still available they'll be a quarter of the cost of a new furnace. They don't want stuff to last 40-50 years now. They can't make any money that way.
Yep throw refrigerators in that pot also - wtf

Reactions: Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We were getting estimates from a number of companies, they were all push the high efficiency models. Problem is with an old and somewhat drafty house it’d of been a waste. Had a coworker who’s nephew and a buddy who were in the industri side of that who did side jobs stopped and gave us an estimate. He beat everyone else’s price by a lot. He just worked the side jobs on weekends and he be taking a couple of them too comp it. For the cost savings I went that route. Upper 80’s on the efficiency and it still reduced our electric and gas bills considerably.....

Morning TOO!!

This was the first thing I tackled on that furnace, was originally installed in '99. The first thing to go was the heat exchanger 4 years ago. We were looking at replacing the entire thing due to the cost $$ til my wife ran across a class action lawsuit against Carrier on it. The one heating company said they never heard of it, the other local business (family owned) said sure they'd handle everything. Ended up costing me like $30. Two summers ago the control panel/board went and that was a bit expensive. We had oil heat before that and probably would have continued with it had the oil prices not gotten so high and the fact that the delivery company accidentally put gasoline in our tank that year. Luckily my MIL was there watching Jenna that day and they could shut everything off. Was only a day or two after and I had an old buddy install the natural gas furnace. It really has served it's purpose....knock on wood.

Reactions: "J"