Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mosquito Lake Youth Gun Hunt

badger

*Supporting Member*
Thanks to a buddy of mine who had a permit he couldn't use, my son and I will be hunting the refuge tomorrow.

I've hunted and trapped the public land that is close to the spot we will be hunting. Pretty dang excited as there's always some good bucks in that area!

I have provisions packed for us to do some tailgating for lunch if he hasn't shot anything by then.

I'll be checking in as the hunt goes on with my phone.

Wish Zach some luck tomorrow!

badger

*Supporting Member*
Doe down!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Wow Congrats on the doe... nice shot placement too... how far of a shot and are you still at it? I'm assuming you can get more then one...

Last edited:

badger

*Supporting Member*
Wow Congrats on the doe... nice shot placement too... how far of a shot and are you still at it? I'm assuming you can get more then one...

We were the second group out of the station this morning and arrived at our designated spot 40 minutes before legal shooting time. This worked out as it gave us time to finish our coffee and discuss a game plan. I have logged a lot of hours on the public lands around that area and had watched many deer retreat to the block we would be hunting. We made our way around a good size pond and down to the corner where the woods and and a deep ditch meet. Had some beaver slapping their tails at us on the way in. The lay of the land right there forms some what of a funnel. I was hoping we would have deer move past us, but it was still a long shot going in blind like that. We only walked about twenty yards inside the woods and found some cover to put at our back. We had 10 minutes to wait for legal shooting, and watched a nice fat coon walk by us. By 6:45 I could hear the beaver slapping their tails again and figured another group of hunters were coming in. Fifteen minutes later I hear brush breaking and was expecting to see orange instead of brown. The doe stopped broadside at 40 yards down wind of us. Zach thought a squirrel was making the noise and didn't see the deer. I kept whispering, she's right there, she's right there. I finally had to point her out and figured she was going to blow out. Zach raised up on her and fired one shot. I couldn't see the hit, but she wasn't running normal the last spot I seen her. After a couple of hugs and chest bumps he told me he thought he hit her high, so we decided to wait a few before looking. Fifteen minutes later I could tell it was killing Zach to wait so I said lets go take a look. He assured me his shot was dead on as far as left and right goes, but a touch high. We didn't even make it to where she was standing when Zach points and says there she is! He drilled her heart at forty yards and she didn't make it twenty yards before going down! What looked like high shot to him turned out to be a text book shot.

Nice young doe for the freezer, and we headed home.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Outstanding story, tell Zach congrats on the shot placement, the first picture tells the shot the last tells the story... Another proud hunter with a good day.... Is this his first????

rrr

Sweet man! Thanks for sharing with us. Love to see young hunters like myself have success. That's a great shot too.

Was this with a 12, 20? Smokepole?

badger

*Supporting Member*
Outstanding story, tell Zach congrats on the shot placement, the first picture tells the shot the last tells the story... Another proud hunter with a good day.... Is this his first????

I'll tell him when he wakes up! This is his second deer, he shot a big doe two years ago.

Sweet man! Thanks for sharing with us. Love to see young hunters like myself have success. That's a great shot too.

Was this with a 12, 20? Smokepole?

Mossberg model 930, 12 gauge, with Remington copper solids.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Just a quick update to cap off a fine day!

Getting her ready for the dinner plate.

The dinner plate consisted of taters, corn, & brussel sprouts from the garden, rolls, and medium rare 1/2 year old backstrap medallions!

Hard to beat a meal or a day like this.:smiley_cheers:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang Dale! Congrats to Zach! Nice shooting on his part, and thanks to you I am going to have to go eat again. Tasty viddles!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Saw the pic earlier Dale when I added Zach's kill to the tally! Nice work Zach. And dad!!! ;)

The real question is, will he follow in dads footsteps when it comes to cooking?!? :D

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Kick ass Dale. I was in Vinton County all weekend and am just now getting through the 4 pages of posts. Zach put the hoodoo on her didn't he. ;).. Great experience for both of you and something I'm sure he nor you will ever forget. THAT is what hunting is all about. Be sure and tell Zach I said congrats. Oh, and congrats to the ole man too on the memory of a lifetime. :)