Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mushrooms

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
This is a beefsteak can make some very sick

Honestly ...that looks like an elephant ear and we eat those all the time

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
some people can eat them with no problem, others get sick instantly

And it's a cumulative toxin. You could eat them for years then bam. Threshold exceeded. That could happen day one or day 1000. It's not worth messing with.

mrex

*Supporting member*
Found about 100 this morning including this big yellow while out listening to turkeys gobble. We're at least 3 to 4 weeks ahead of schedule.

Gordo

Athens County
I'll b out in the morning. Got the family coming down this weekend. Hopefully find enough to cook up on saturday. Mikes got me motivated.

oakswamper

around Toledo
I had a good day, found about 40 greys and took some nice pics.. But then I jumped a creek and my phone flew out of my shirt pocket and landed in the water.... got it in rice now but I'm guessing it's a loss :tantrum:

Didn't find any like that mrex very nice

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I looked around a little more this afternoon. I found some weeds, old beer cans, shotgun shells, walnuts, and another snake. I have an order in with some of our customers to buy whatever they find... I figure if I want to eat a few, that is my best bet. :)

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Just got out of the Mushroom Forums. The claim is we are going to have what they call a split-year. Since isolated patches are being found early, people will get tired of looking when the best is yet to come. 40's temp at night and some rain is the prime time. Lets hope they are right and the early warm weather pushed us out into the pre-season.

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
These wer found on 5/1/08 around home:

These were founf around home on 4/25/10:

Here is some of the gigins:

Here is what I found today after two hours of walking. These are OLD yellow sponge, the last kind to come up each year.

It's a BAD year for Shroons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
I'm going to get out again tomorrow and check some of my spots. Still hitting a zero, but it's got to happen sooner or later.