Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader accessories,etc

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Lundy is spot on on his posts.... If I'm at the range by myself I wear my hearing protection the whole time.... Keeps me more focused and if someone else is there they'll have too actually get a hold of me too inform me what's up versus just yelling over at me.... Was just there today and had the place too myself for over an hour then a guy and his girlfriend/wife showed up and started shooting the high power stuff long range.... She was more of a distraction lol.... So I called it quits and let them have it for their time.... Lose focus lose track is my motto....

Lundy

Last comment, I promise:)

If you ever try to shoot and only your primer fires but not the powder. NEVER, EVER just put in a new primer and fire again without first verifying that your bullet is still seated on your powder load.

A 209 primer can move your bullet partially down your barrel creating a very bad experience for you if you happen to be able to ignite the powder on your second attempt.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Wow, I had no clue about this stuff. Thanks for the safety Info. Very important. Thanks a lot. Tomorrow I am sighting it in so thanks again. Good info to have.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Last comment, I promise:)

If you ever try to shoot and only your primer fires but not the powder. NEVER, EVER just put in a new primer and fire again without first verifying that your bullet is still seated on your powder load.

A 209 primer can move your bullet partially down your barrel creating a very bad experience for you if you happen to be able to ignite the powder on your second attempt.

You think of anything else like this, please don't make it your last post on the subject. I had never thought of this possibility with a primer moving the bullet but not firing the round out of the barrel. This is an excellent piece of safety info! Your experience is appreciated.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
Really good safety tips. I didn't see anyone mention cleaning. Those things are a pain to clean! You'll see what I'm talking about after you shoot it and you don't want to let it sit for a couple days, clean it as soon as you get home. Make sure the breech plug comes out and gets cleaned thoroughly and then make sure you use breech plug grease on the threads before you put it back in or you may never get it back out again. Don't over-tighten the plug either when you put it back, just make it snug.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
T/C sells a spray foam that you shoot into the barrel and it expands and let it soak for 10-15 minutes and then swap the barrel do this a couple of times and it'll be squeaky clean the I use bore butter for lube and storage....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Conflicting opinions on bore butter if I am not mistaken. I thoroughly clean a new ML. Swab a bit of bore butter, wipe out as much as possible. Shoot it. Clean it. Repeat several times. Once the barrel is "seasoned" the only bore butter I use is on the threads of the breech plug. Be sure to ONLY get the bore butter on the threads and not in the nipple or elsewhere. Bore butter WILL affect your bullet flight. Maybe we can get Lundy or someone more experienced to share their 2 cents on this subject. I don't claim to be an expert here.

Lundy

Remove as much bore butter as possible. You do not want lubrication when shooting sabots.

Question: How do I use Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter?
It's easy. The first step is to remove all traces of oil from your muzzleloader by cleaning the bore with hot water and a detergent. Then coat the bore with Bore Butter using a patch or swab saturated with it. From that point on, never allow a petroleum based lube to interfere with the Natural Lube. Use bullets prelubed with Bore Butter, and when cleaning, use an all natural bore cleaner like our No. 13. As you continue to shoot, you will be slowly seasoning the bore and will notice that very little fouling builds up. Loading will remain easy from shot to shot, and cleaning will be a snap.

Note about Sabots
T/C's All Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter was designed as a lube to be used with traditional patched roundballs (lube the patches) and all lead conical bullets like our Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunters.

If you are shooting sabots, DO NOT LUBE YOUR SABOTS. Sabots are designed to be shot right out of the package____DRY. In fact, you should remove any trace of Natural Lube, or any lube for that matter, from the barrel before shooting sabots. The less lube you have in the barrel when shooting sabots, the better, to achieve optimum accuracy.

When your hunting or shooting is done, and your rifle cleaned after shooting, re-lube your barrel with T/C's All Natural Lube Bore Butter prior to storage. Wipe down the outside as well. It's an excellent rust preventative.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
You guys should have warned me of the rotten egg smell when you clean them. My God, is it awful!!

As far as the bore butter. I put in on a rag, and ran it through, then ran a clean rag through it.

Got her sighted in at 50 yds, i figure for a 100 yd shot, i just need to be up a cpl of inches. Its a solid shooting gun.

On the speed loaders, how in the hell do you put loads in there w/o them falling out? and the cap goes in the spot well, but then you cant close the lid?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Remove as much bore butter as possible. You do not want lubrication when shooting sabots.

Question: How do I use Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter?
It's easy. The first step is to remove all traces of oil from your muzzleloader by cleaning the bore with hot water and a detergent. Then coat the bore with Bore Butter using a patch or swab saturated with it. From that point on, never allow a petroleum based lube to interfere with the Natural Lube. Use bullets prelubed with Bore Butter, and when cleaning, use an all natural bore cleaner like our No. 13. As you continue to shoot, you will be slowly seasoning the bore and will notice that very little fouling builds up. Loading will remain easy from shot to shot, and cleaning will be a snap.

Note about Sabots
T/C's All Natural Lube 1000 Plus Bore Butter was designed as a lube to be used with traditional patched roundballs (lube the patches) and all lead conical bullets like our Maxi-Ball and Maxi-Hunters.

If you are shooting sabots, DO NOT LUBE YOUR SABOTS. Sabots are designed to be shot right out of the package____DRY. In fact, you should remove any trace of Natural Lube, or any lube for that matter, from the barrel before shooting sabots. The less lube you have in the barrel when shooting sabots, the better, to achieve optimum accuracy.

When your hunting or shooting is done, and your rifle cleaned after shooting, re-lube your barrel with T/C's All Natural Lube Bore Butter prior to storage. Wipe down the outside as well. It's an excellent rust preventative.

Once I'm done cleaning the muzzy I run a patch with RIG (rust inhibiting grease) down the muzzle. The evening before season I run patches through it until they come out clean, then a patch or two soaked in evaporating gun scrubber. Then usually go fire a 50gr charge through it to dirty the barrel and set it outside to acclimate and it's ready for the next days hunt. I'm a firm believer in firing a round to dirty the barrel. Every gun shoots different with a clean bore vs a dirty one.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You are not alone Joe. If I don't run a round down the barrel I fire off a primer at bare minimum.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
so you fire one through it with no bullet? Just a primer and powder?

I fire a full load but only 50gr of powder. The point is to dirty the barrel and foul the rifling. Every muzzy I've ever fired was off with a clean bore but jumped right back to zero the 2nd round. At 50 yards this doesn't matter much. But at 200 it's quite the difference.

Lundy

I fire a full load but only 50gr of powder. The point is to dirty the barrel and foul the rifling. Every muzzy I've ever fired was off with a clean bore but jumped right back to zero the 2nd round. At 50 yards this doesn't matter much. But at 200 it's quite the difference.

X2 !

All, everyone I've ever owned, of my MZ's have varied on a clean to fouled barrel. Some not as much, some as much as 4" at 100 yds. ALL of the guns that I used Pyrodex and T7 in varied quite a bit, including up to the 4" that one of my most accurate guns would spew out on a clean barrel.

This was one to the 3 or 4 reasons I switched to my current MZ's. Shoot them in November to check zero, Clean in Jan.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
OK Gotcha. Cause I cleaned mine after sighting it in, now im paranoid that it wont be on. So I will dirty the barrell up tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice guys. I am not much of a gun hunter, but I am looking forward to it now. The FAFD filming has been let go, so now I am hunting and having fun just doing my own thing. I am enjoying it alot more.