Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzleloader accessories,etc

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have heard the dirty vs clean barrel stuff and I gotta admit I have not looked to see the difference in impact between the two for me. But I know that I have sometimes missed shots on the first day I know I can make and do make later in the day or later in the season...hmmm something to think about for saturday.

Joe, do you put a wad or anything down your inline or just pour and ignite?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I have heard the dirty vs clean barrel stuff and I gotta admit I have not looked to see the difference in impact between the two for me. But I know that I have sometimes missed shots on the first day I know I can make and do make later in the day or later in the season...hmmm something to think about for saturday.

Joe, do you put a wad or anything down your inline or just pour and ignite?

I load it just like I would any other time, except I only use 1 50gr pellet. Powder, sabot, seat, primer, bang.. Basically I load it and shoot it. But instead of 150gr of powder I use 50. The goal is to dirty the barrel just like it was when I sighted it in.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I load it just like I would any other time, except I only use 1 50gr pellet. Powder, sabot, seat, primer, bang.. Basically I load it and shoot it. But instead of 150gr of powder I use 50. The goal is to dirty the barrel just like it was when I sighted it in.

I've never heard of that but it makes sense. They definitely shoot different dirty. I have mine sighted in with a clean barrel so it's the same principle just reversed. Whenever I'm at the range I run a dry patch through a couple times in between shots so the barrel stays clean as I shoot. To be honest though I haven't shot it at anything but deer in the last three years and the deer are almost always within 40 yards. I always set up where I can see the deer coming 100 yards away or better and they always sneak in from a direction I wasn't expecting lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I've never heard of that but it makes sense. They definitely shoot different dirty. I have mine sighted in with a clean barrel so it's the same principle just reversed. Whenever I'm at the range I run a dry patch through a couple times in between shots so the barrel stays clean as I shoot. To be honest though I haven't shot it at anything but deer in the last three years and the deer are almost always within 40 yards. I always set up where I can see the deer coming 100 yards away or better and they always sneak in from a direction I wasn't expecting lol.

By clean I mean right out of the closet not a speck of powder, carbon, or sabot plastic in the barrel. Running patches during the sight in process doesn't really make it a clean barrel, just less dirty. To sight in with a clean barrel you would have to clean it with bore solvent, brushes, and patches until clean between each shot. Like, "putting it away for the year clean" between shots. Firing off a round after you get it out of the closet will return the barrel back to the condition it was during sight in. Dirty.

Lundy

By clean I mean right out of the closet not a speck of powder, carbon, or sabot plastic in the barrel. Running patches during the sight in process doesn't really make it a clean barrel, just less dirty. To sight in with a clean barrel you would have to clean it with bore solvent, brushes, and patches until clean between each shot. Like, "putting it away for the year clean" between shots. Firing off a round after you get it out of the closet will return the barrel back to the condition it was during sight in. Dirty.

X2! (I'm doing this with you a lot lately:)

Patches at the range is not the same as "clean"

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
X2! (I'm doing this with you a lot lately:)

Patches at the range is not the same as "clean"

Coming from someone with the forearm knowledge you have it's a complement. It's nice to see my OCD for eliminating variables is right. Lol.