Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzy Season 2023

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
308068AC-C1DB-4DB2-B46E-230BE629CEE5.jpeg

Muzzle loader was shot and it hit both times in the bullseye. Ordered the field pod after shooting my brothers Caldwell that does the same. Should’ve ordered one of these sooner 😂
All my muzzleloader stuff is organized and waiting too be loaded up in the truck. Looking forward too hanging out doing deer drives with my brother and @Ohiosam and the rest of the guys at the orchard.
Here’s hoping for a great season for all you fellas!!!! Enjoy the time together with family and friends afield. Looking for one more in the freezer.

Bowkills

Nw oh
Can we just use small straight walled single shots? they are primative enough by todays standards.... If we go out the kid will be using a xbow.....this weathers messed up. Havnt seen much big herd movement since the warm weathers hit. Might of scattered a tad im not to sure. I did see 6 bucks together friday evening. Be cool to get a bachelor group to pass by.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
5 cent-I'm impressed.

Shot mine today. Within about 2-3" at 100yds. Sitting on tailgate with some sticks. For a non Annie Oakley shooter, I'll take it. My muzzle loader and I have not had the best relationship over the years. Even today it gave me fits. The trigger guard has something wrong with it. Have to physically hold it up with. Middle and ring finger while squeezing the trigger. It won't lock into place.
PXL_20230105_183032276.jpg

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Made it too Ohio, stopped in and met @Chancegriffis too drop off some shockwave sabots for @hickslawns and @Dannmann801 will hillbilly express them. Now that’s some too good shit right there!
Made it too the farm, breakfast in the morning with @Ohiosam and then some plinking with my brother.
He’s got a .17 cal that needs zeroed in. Should be some fun shooting.
Now bring on muzzy season!

Ohio
One shot to confirm it was still on tonight. A little tip on breech plugs… couple years ago I forgot to take mine out and it rusted up a bit. Since I’ve been taking mine out after I clean everything up. Ended up misplacing it 2 years ago and about lost my shit trying to find it. Now I put it in a sandwich bag and tape it to my sling so that doesn’t happen again. Good luck everyone!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
One shot to confirm it was still on tonight. A little tip on breech plugs… couple years ago I forgot to take mine out and it rusted up a bit. Since I’ve been taking mine out after I clean everything up. Ended up misplacing it 2 years ago and about lost my shit trying to find it. Now I put it in a sandwich bag and tape it to my sling so that doesn’t happen again. Good luck everyone!

Good idea. After having one breech plug stick years ago, she always gets cleaned before going back into the safe and breech plug antiseeze applied before screwing back in lightly.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I add a dab of Vaseline to the threads to keep mine from locking up.

Nice 7:45A wake up for my neighbors today 🤣 Slight change in load, but still pretty solid. Clean bore shot from 50 to the right and I definitely pulled it a touch. Second shot up top. Adjusted 8 clicks and cleaned her up. Close enough for horseshoes and deer. Went to the 295 grain TMZs with 100 grain of pellets, so I'm assuming I'm around that 1600-1650 fps mark.

20230106_080116.jpg
20230106_081124.jpg

Bowkills

Nw oh
20230106_181858.jpg
thought about it the xbow hasnt been shot since mid november. I made my kid fling one with the use of the headlights. Still 0. Hunters should be out tomorrow. Im just hoping people are bumping deer walking in dark. My kid has been very effective keeping deer off our property with constant atv riding during the warm snap. Never know whats dumb enough to walk by a elevated shack.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
To any new guys to muzzy hunting; if it’s going to be freezing temps, remember to put that empty gun somewhere like the truck or cold garage where it can cool down before u load it.
Loading a warm smoke pole from the house then going out to freezing temps can sometimes cause condensation in the barrel and get the powder damp.
Keep yer powder dry and best of luck these next 4 days!