Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Muzzy Season 2023

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Congratulations to my friends Phil and Adam! Those will make fine meals.

Can confirm. Smoked at 225* w/Super Smoke, then reverse seared for lunch today😁
20230111_105252.jpg
20230111_112801.jpg

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Had a rough ML season at the orchard. Hunted Saturday and Monday and moved very few deer, no mature bucks were seen and no one fired a shot. Muzzleloader season at the orchard can be hit or miss depending on the weather. The worse the weather the better the hunting. Having 50 acres of corn still standing on a neighbor's farm didn't help. Tuesday we hunted around my place and had 5 does go to the watchers and J's brother made a nice shot on a huge doe. At least we didn't get skunked.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Had a rough ML season at the orchard. Hunted Saturday and Monday and moved very few deer, no mature bucks were seen and no one fired a shot. Muzzleloader season at the orchard can be hit or miss depending on the weather. The worse the weather the better the hunting. Having 50 acres of corn still standing on a neighbor's farm didn't help. Tuesday we hunted around my place and had 5 does go to the watchers and J's brother made a nice shot on a huge doe. At least we didn't get skunked.
Yep, he’s had a stellar season. Christened his ruger .450 bushmaster, and his new muzzleloader….. The doe he shot came within a few seconds of having another round through it. Had it in the scope and safety off, then it dropped. Unfortunately I couldn’t get lined up on the other two that were with it. Still it was a great day too hang with family and friends!
Thanks again for setting that up, Sam. That deer will be helping a few families that he knows who haven’t been able too hunt in a while, due too age and medical issues.
One of the biggest does I’ve seen in a while!

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ran about 80 yards. Slight quarting to @ around 110yrds, no exit. It might be in opposite back hip. Blackhorn and 250gr. TC Shockwave.

I found her first, tagged her and returned home to change and get Ty. He was on it from the start, finding blood right where I walked in the field and I didn't see a thing lmao.

Cut her up tonight and found the Shockwave in the opposite side flank.

20230114_193955.jpg
20230114_194009.jpg
20230114_194035.jpg

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
How was the blood trail?
Actually had decent blood (so I thought). It was surprisingly easy to follow. But I didn’t make a mortal hit on the deer. Not sure what happened… either I backstrapped him or hit him low in the brisket. Blood trail stopped at a 0.5 mile. Tracked another 3-400 yards or so with a dog but came up empty. Obviously the bullet isn’t what caused me to lose the deer, but the lack is terminal performance is no bueno. This is at least twice now that I’ve recovered a pristine shockwave from a deer.