Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My 2015 Tom

Thanks guys!

Good write up......gorgeous bird I think I may have stated this before but the spurs have a wonderful color to them.

Advice on the mount would be to use an artificial head just as my opinion. My dad was a taxidermist for years and after doing/watching multiple freeze dried heads I feel that the artificial heads just offer a lot cleaner look and also have a lot more longevity in that I have seen an awful lot of freeze dried experience shrinkage/wrinkling after 5+ years. A good taxidermist can transfer all the hairs and everything from the real head onto the artificial in that you will never be able to tell the difference and overall (my opinion) provides for a cleaner and better result.

My final comment would be what made you "lay" on the bird? That kind of sounds strange and somewhat dangerous (from experience I have been spurred while trying to load a half alive turkey in the trunk of a car). I would inquire is this your typical method for finishing of turkey. What I would offer if you didn't know is it is as simple as placing your foot at the base of the turkeys neck where the feathers start and applying pressure on that leg. This will suffocate them in a very short order of time and prevents them from flogging you with spurs and or wings.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Thanks again bandit. I didn't completely lay on top of the bird. I placed my left foot on his neck and my knee over its back, I should of explained it better. I haven't heard any complaints from guys that have their turkey heads freeze dried. My taxidermist has been doing it for years.

It is all a choice of preference in that both artificial and freeze dried techniques have improved vastly over the last decade. The only concern I have ever had with freeze dried is just that you have to ensure the never become exposed to water, many will receive some form of shrinkage during the freeze drying process, and overall they don't seem to hold paint/color as well as artificial but I can understand why hunters want the real head again I was just throwing my .02 cents out in that I have done a few and been around a lot of experienced taxidermist.

I be watching out for your post to see how it turns out in that turkey mounts are a real art and allows taxidermist to really shine a lot of people don't understand the time involved in pruning every individual feather definitely getting your moneys worth when you do a full turkey mount.

I did a large display with a bearded hen/double bearded turkey I shot in the same year about 5 years ago it was the most time consuming task I think I have ever worked on. Turned out gorgeous but to large to put anywhere practical.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Here's my Tom from last year.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430500994237.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430500994237.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 160
My wife would shoot me if I tried to bring home another full body mount. Very nice color palette to that bird. What did it measure? Also I was wondering what your bird this year scored using NWTF calculations?

If you don't mind my asking what is the going price for a full body on a turkey now a days. My dad quit doing taxidermy a few years back and honestly haven't even looked into it. I shot a nice bird today I would have loved to get mounted but he is all cut up now lol so to late for that.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
My wife would shoot me if I tried to bring home another full body mount. Very nice color palette to that bird. What did it measure? Also I was wondering what your bird this year scored using NWTF calculations?

If you don't mind my asking what is the going price for a full body on a turkey now a days. My dad quit doing taxidermy a few years back and honestly haven't even looked into it. I shot a nice bird today I would have loved to get mounted but he is all cut up now lol so to late for that.

My wife was kind of pissed after I told her I took this years bird to the taxi LOL. Last years bird had a 10 1/2 inch beard and 1 3/8 spurs, 23 pounds. Going rate for a mount is $550. This years bird scored 77 using the NWTF scoring system, which would of put him 2nd in Ohio for a bow kill typical turkey.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Did you end up submitting it? That is a good score the weight really helped out both birds I have shot with over 1 1/2 spurs weighed in under 20 pounds which ball parks low 70s

No I didn't submit it, and I kind of regret it. At the time it seemed like a huge pain in the ass with having to get 2 members of the NWTF to verify measurements, have it weighed on a scale certified by the dept. Of agriculture,and become a member myself.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I still can't believe it! I'm just an average dude that's only been turkey hunting for four years. I must say, I don't think it would of ever happened had it not been for you fuggers on TOO!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Im glad to see you are passionate enough to not only kill that toad with a bow but to make sure that you paid it the respect you felt it deserved.