Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My fix for Poison Ivy.

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
I used to be able to roll is this stuff as a kid but every summer hanging stands I get it now.... Bleach can cause the skin to become allergic to bleach itself in clothes and other products over time so be careful with that one.

One thing that I carry in my truck at all times is GOJO wipes. They are a degreaser for mechanics and remove oil and grease. Being that PI is an oil based plant if you can wipe the oils off yourself before taking a shower it usually prohibits the PI from spreading or even setting in. Just a quick easy field fix for you guys that get it.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I used to be able to roll is this stuff as a kid but every summer hanging stands I get it now.... Bleach can cause the skin to become allergic to bleach itself in clothes and other products over time so be careful with that one.

One thing that I carry in my truck at all times is GOJO wipes. They are a degreaser for mechanics and remove oil and grease. Being that PI is an oil based plant if you can wipe the oils off yourself before taking a shower it usually prohibits the PI from spreading or even setting in. Just a quick easy field fix for you guys that get it.

Excellent tip right there, Rutin! I'm going to have to pick some of those up.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

I agree with JB. That is a great idea.

Gern- When you get PI as bad as myself and some of the others, you learn a few things to help alleviate it over the years. You don't need to be a Doctor, just someone who suffers from PI. I feel JB's pain. I have had it on my junk before. Not much else to add for you Chad except: SUCK IT!:smiley_crocodile:

I am teasing. You know the NW Ohio boys have to watch out for each other. lol

swantucky

The Crew
Swanton, Ohio
I got it some as a kid then ablout high school I quit getting it. 2-3 of us would walk the same trail and everyone but me would get hammered. Knock on wood my immunity continues, Hunter does not get it either.

buckbuster217

*Supporting Member*
Byesville, Ohio
I'm like JBrown, I get PI something terrible!!!! I have had it every place you can imagine!, have had the eyes swelled shut, so bad between the fingers that you cant bend them, on the bottom of my feet! and yes, I have had it all over my junk!!!!! me and some friends were swimming in some strips when we were in high school and I was covered from head to toe, couldnt even walk for acouple of days. And just like JBrown, Zanfel poison Ivy wash is the only thing that will get rid of mine quickly, it might seem pricey but I would gladly pay 100 dollars for it!!!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm like JBrown, I get PI something terrible!!!! I have had it every place you can imagine!, have had the eyes swelled shut, so bad between the fingers that you cant bend them, on the bottom of my feet! and yes, I have had it all over my junk!!!!! me and some friends were swimming in some strips when we were in high school and I was covered from head to toe, couldnt even walk for acouple of days. And just like JBrown, Zanfel poison Ivy wash is the only thing that will get rid of mine quickly, it might seem pricey but I would gladly pay 100 dollars for it!!!

Oh absolutely. There have been times where I'd gladly empty my bank account for a tube of Zanfel! lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I might have to try it next time. Not looking forward to dropping the money, but when you get a bad case of it, it is well worth it. If there is a pool handy, I will go swimming as much as possible too. The chlorine helps dry it out some.

Huckleberry Finn

The first time I bailed straw, the farmer's wife told me to wash my arms with laundry detergent to prevent poison ivy, because its so strong and dries out your skin. I remember screaming like a little girl because it hurt something fierce on all the little open cuts from bailing. It works though.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Use a hair dryer to ease the suffering when you have PI, especially for those of you that get it badly. It works extremely well and helps to dry it out quicker. You get the euphoric sensation the same as when you give in and scratch, but as soon as you shut the dryer off, the itching stops. You have to hold it on the PI until your skin feels like it's burning. And gold bond is mentioned a lot on this site...but it is great to add in there too.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Use a hair dryer to ease the suffering when you have PI, especially for those of you that get it badly. It works extremely well and helps to dry it out quicker. You get the euphoric sensation the same as when you give in and scratch, but as soon as you shut the dryer off, the itching stops. You have to hold it on the PI until your skin feels like it's burning. And gold bond is mentioned a lot on this site...but it is great to add in there too.

Just don't get the urishiol on your hands, then transfer to the gold bond lid, or the next time you have scalded balls, you will be in trouble! :smiley_crocodile:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Jim, my wife probably hates this fact, but you have re-lit a fire in me with this thread. I went to Hocking from 90-92. They do a wonderful job of teaching their students most everything that grows in Ohio, and their uses. I really enjoyed learning these things, and it changed the way I walked through a woods for several years. I couldn't simply stroll through a woods and enjoy a blur of green, I had to know what every plant was! I've gotten away from that. Your thread has caused me to get myself back out actually looking at what is around!

My wife is about to kill me. I've plenty of chores I need to get done, but have opted to spend most of the day out looking "at weeds". I've been looking for one in particular, and finally found the dang thing. I don't ever remember it being difficult to find, but I sure had a heck of a time finding it today.... Yarrow. One of the landowners I hunt on is a naturalist, a genuine hippie, that gets excited by finding wild plants. I had to call him to let him know I finally found that dang yarrow. He and I will be taking a few walks once he finishes up planting the last of his beans. I am really looking forward to doing it, as I don't trust plant identification and consumption to my books. BTW, did you know mugwort can be smoked to lead to a vision quest? :)

Anyway, thanks for getting my mind back where it should have always been. Life gets in the way of truly enjoying what's around us sometimes.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I found some Jewel weed this past week and just want to know how you prepare it for application. I snapped off a tubular section that was about 3" long and examined the inside. It had some moisture but nothing heavy or where you could pour it out. Do you grind up the entire tubular section? Is it best to break off sections closer to the root or higher up on the plant?

I took a pic of the plant and will post it later. Thanks in advanced Jim.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I just break it off at a joint (lower ones are larger so you get more juice. Don't bother with the hollow area between the joints.) and squeeze the clear juice from each 1/2 of the joint with my thumb and index finger, using the smashed end of the joint like a brush applicator.
When we were kids, a old country Dr. in the area use to have a few of us neighborhood kids help pick enough to fill his trunk of his car. He then would take it home and press it for the juice. He said he would give a patient that before any other med's.
I hope this helps and you never need to apply the knowlage...

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Also if you know you are in it take a shower using Dawn Dish soap. It cuts the oils and it has worked for me. Just saying.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My wife has some on one hand and her neck right now. I would guess she picked it up doing laundry and then scratching her neck with the same hand. It is terrible. She is miserable. I spent some money on the Zanfels today. At the pool right now for the first time this season. Family of five $145 for the season. Can't beat it and she is hoping the chlorine helps dry it out some. I will keep you posted on her input. Hoping it works for her like it does for J B.

When I used jewel weed in the past I had another weed I mixed with it. I always got mine from an older gentleman that has since passed away. Sure do miss having Earl around. He was a wealth pf knowledge.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Here is a pic of some Jewel weed I found. If'n I ever get PI again, I'll try it. Thanks Jim!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just an update on my wife's PI. I bought the CVS brand of Zanfel for her. She used it twice to wash with and followed up her shower with applying some hydrocortizone cream. Within 2-3 days it was dried up pretty darn good. Pretty much had the same effect on her as JBrown said it has on him. Darn near immediate relief from itching and dried up most of the PI within a few days. Pretty dang impressive to me.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just an update on my wife's PI. I bought the CVS brand of Zanfel for her. She used it twice to wash with and followed up her shower with applying some hydrocortizone cream. Within 2-3 days it was dried up pretty darn good. Pretty much had the same effect on her as JBrown said it has on him. Darn near immediate relief from itching and dried up most of the PI within a few days. Pretty dang impressive to me.

That's great news, Phil... Glad to hear she's getting over it so quickly. I have also had decent results with the "off-brand" versions of Zanfel, however the ingredients are usually slightly different... And I've found that the real Zanfel actually works a little quicker. But hey, getting rid of a poison ivy reaction within 2 or 3 days is great from ANY product.