Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My fix for Poison Ivy.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just dropped 35 bucks on another tube of Zanfel. Looks like I got into some poison ivy over the weekend while foodplotting.... :smiley_boos:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Just dropped 35 bucks on another tube of Zanfel. Looks like I got into some poison ivy over the weekend while foodplotting.... :smiley_boos:

Lot of that going on... just picked the scab off of my last batch..... left a nice red line on the wrist area..... Where my gloves were rolled down too the palm is where it got me..... I even scrubbed that area when I got home...... Oh well that zanfel shit works pretty darn good though..... 2 applications and that was it....

Stonegod

I agree 100%, Jewelweed works great for poison ivy and it's free!!! It grows all over the place along wood edges and in fields. Just squeeze the juice out of it and apply it to the area that has the rash, if used as soon as you touch poison ivy that should stop any rash or itching from even starting. You can also use it prior to being in contact with poison ivy and most people will have no signs of a rash.

Last edited:

matty636

mville
i duno if anybody has put this yet but when your in the shower pee on it depending where it is i guess sounds discusting but your gona wash any ways right dries it up quick

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I got into the poison ivy last weekend and now I have it on my arms, legs, hands, ears and forehead...
I've been treating it with some baking soda and some tecnu poison ivy stuff we had at the house. I'm not getting any better....looks like I need to get zanfel tomorrow.
I've been itching like crazy in the middle of the night and that's causing it to spread.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I got into the poison ivy last weekend and now I have it on my arms, legs, hands, ears and forehead...
I've been treating it with some baking soda and some tecnu poison ivy stuff we had at the house. I'm not getting any better....looks like I need to get zanfel tomorrow.
I've been itching like crazy in the middle of the night and that's causing it to spread.

Damn Chad, should of went with the Zanfel sooner.... Hope it works for you, that tube isn't that big and may or may not treat that large of an area..... Doctor and cortazone shot may be the best answer for that much.....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio

Zanfel brother... zanfel.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good to know Motorbreaker. Might look into this. It isn't as if we won't use it sooner or later.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Good to know Motorbreaker. Might look into this. It isn't as if we won't use it sooner or later.

I'm one of the lucky ones and don't get poison ivy. My doctor told me to be careful because if my system ever breaks down it will be serious.
Everyone in the family gets it serious except my oldest grandson. I guess he's one of the good ones like grandpa. But no one really believes that.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I tried the zanfel. It works pretty good. But the tube is to small if your ate up with the stuff. I ordered a couple tubes off the net for $25 each.

The stuff works incredibly well. But yes, the 1 oz tube doesn't last long. I try not to use Zanfel unless I've got a bad rash. If it's just a couple bumps here and there, I let it go away on its own.

Buckmaster

Portage
I was weed wacking poison ivy Friday and Saturday, then I hit it with some Roundup when done.

Now I have red bumps on my forearms and neck.

In another day we'll see who actually won that contest.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Ha ha same here Ben, except I thought I avoided it all.

Middle of chest, left and back side of neck and some areas below the belt are well....damn u sweat! I need snow year round.....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Pulled a tree stand last Sunday. Put it in a tree with poison ivy. Used my Hooyman to pull the vines off the tree. Couple hit me on the way down. I get poison ivy easily. Doesn't help I was sweating like mad. Went home. Showered immediately with dish soap to break the urishiol oils off my skin. Monday morning? Hmmm. . . I think I am okay. Tuesday? Oh crap. Spots on left inner forearm, top of right hand, left eye, a bit on my waist line, and on my left jaw. Not horrible considering how easily I get it and how much I was into it.

This is day two of using the Zanfel. Can't do much around the eye. The other areas are beginning to change color like they do when it is just starting to dry up. Going to hit it again before I shower. The Zanfel does seem to be taking the itch away temporarily but it comes back in 3-6hrs. Tons better than hydrocortizone cream.

Not complaining. Just part of playing in the woods. Figured it was a good excuse to bring this to the top. Lots of new faces in the last 14mo since this thread was last bumped. Hope it helps someone else.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Damn I feel for you guys. I was working in it last night moving a tree stand. Need to go back tonight to finish and bring along my grandson to help and he doesn't get poison ivy either.
The 2 of us are very lucky as the whole family gets it seriously. I swear my wife and nephew would get a rash reading this post.

Strother23

Columbus, OH
Very cool reads on this post. I get PI very easy like a lot of you on here. Needless to say I will be trying the Zanfel at first sign of it. I also will be looking for the jewel weed flowers while out checking cams and moving/adjusting tree stands.

The Zanfel worked for me earlier this year. Any time it started to itch again, like hickslawns after 3-6 hrs., I'd re-scrub everything down that itched again. Also took Benadryl every 4 hours as well and it all cleared up pretty fast. We were all through poison ivy last weekend but haven't gotten a single itchy spot. Wearing rubber boots and not handling them without gloves seems to be the key for me as most seems to be on the ground. Any in the trees I just keep walking LOL.