Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

My hostility hunt

rrr

Good job Phil, I have been rooting for ya and I'm glad you connected. That is a dandy deer - maybe I'll beat your first bow buck with mine :smiley_blink:

Gotta question one thing though since we've got the bromanse going on :smiley_cupid:- who wears a white shirt to go track and gut a deer !?!?!??!?!?!?!?:smiley_confused_vra

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
Congrats on a great buck Phil. Glad to see you finally connect. This is a well deserved buck for a well deserving archer. Now you can relax and fill your doe tag.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ernie- That shirt is a lined jacket/shirt type thing I have had for 10yrs or more. The guy that wears it is a guy that is looking for a deer with two dogs, and three friends. Two friends carrying 45's and the other a 44mag. It is also a shirt to wear if you think you have a gut shot deer and are not sure if he is going to jump up or not. If I had one of those bright yellow highway worker shirts, I might have worn that! ahahaa

I also hope you beat my buck Ernie! I wish you the best along with everyone else waiting to fill their tags!

Thanks to everyone for the congrats and well wished you have sent! I appreciate the internet high fives!

epe

Lancaster
Congrats man. I definitely know how it is this year to deal with tresspassers.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Zach- I don't think so. First bow kill, so biggest bow kill obviously. My 2008 buck was 139 3/8 gross 9pt in my avatar photo. Netted 129 3/8. Taken with Remington 870. This buck has a broken brow, so there goes minus 10-12" off the bat. Oh well, I won't complain anymore since it was my first bow buck.

Mark my words guys. If I eat a bow tag the next 5 years waiting on a bigger one, you heard it hear first. Wall rule. Two nice bucks on the wall. One gun, one bow. The next ones need to be bigger. I am willing to eat the tags, and eat does all year if that is what it takes. You heard it hear first. Now, next year you can all bash me if I shoot a 110" deer. ahhahaha
Phil, I just wanted to add that HAD your buck had a matching brow(4 to 4.5 in) by my estimates he'd have grossed around 138 to 139 which is a real good buck by anyones standards.(at least on this site). Once again congrats buddy! Oh, he will still net solidly in the 130's.IMO

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Ric. I didn't tape him. I guess it has been in the back of my mind, but in the end it doesn't matter. I was honestly going to pass on him. I have seen several similar with more mass and 2 that were just plain bigger this season on the hoof either scouting with binoculars or while on stand. The determining factor that made up my mind to draw on this guy was the fact he came from the property I hunted hard last year and had so many issues with trespassers and such!

Here were my thoughts to self as I watched him come out of his bedding area. "I don't know. He doesn't have a ton of mass. Man, the body on this deer does not scream 'mature' to me. This guy has serious potential. Geez o Pete, Phil. You have never killed more than a button buck with your bow! Shoot this deer you freakin' idiot. He is a nice deer!" Next thing I remember is clicking record on the riser cam and loosing an arrow while he was rubbing the tree!

lol As I stated, this year has been 180 degree difference from last year. Biggest deer I saw last year was a small basket 6pt that the outside of his rack was at MOST about the size of a volleyball. Seeing nice deer, and having one within shooting range AND presenting a shot are two different things. This is where the "luck" part of hunting comes into play. I felt if I didn't take this shot, I may not get another shot opportunity on a nice one this year. Don't doubt I would "see" some more nice deer, but to be presented with a bow shot is by no means a given. Hell, last night I glassed one that made my buck look like a baby from across the field. I was in stand looking for a deer that was illegally taken from my friend's farm Sunday but not recovered. I thought an elevated platform to look down on the fields would be the best view to look for him. Well, what do you know, there walks out a friggin' monster in muzzle loader range. Dang. lol

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Congrats Phil... that's a heck of a nice buck, especially after everything you seemed to have had to go through this season to get him!

I wish I could help you with the wife / mount argument... all I can come up with off the top of my head is that it's your first buck with a bow. You'll never have another first buck with a bow, so he's got to go on the wall!! Plus, if he ends up being bigger than your shotgun buck, that's another point in your favor on the scoreboard...

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Dang Phil, I take a day or two away from the site and you arrow a hell of a buck! Congratulations man, glad all of the hard work and frustration paid off for you, has to be a great feeling! Good job!!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Drake. I appreciate it.

Curran- I think he is going to be a bit less than my shotgun buck. Nonetheless, it isn't so much that she won't let me hang him on the wall, but rather she doesn't want BOTH of them on the wall at the same time. She has been all over me to get a new kitchen table and chairs for a few years now. Today I got some money out for the taxidermy deposit, to pay for the processing when they are done with it, and pulled an extra $600 out for her. Bye bye to a grand. Ouch. I put the $600 on the counter and said here is half your table. She said it is no interest for 24months, so I figure if we have a decent winter I will hand her the rest of the money at the end of snow season. Coincidentally, my buck should be done by early spring. hmmmmmm :smiley_chinrub: You think handing her the rest of the cash for her table the day I bring home my mount and hang it on the wall will balance things out?lol haha

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ric- The problem is, many wives just have no sense of home decorating. geeesh. Guess the first bear rug or coyote tapestry will be out of the question too. :smiley_blackeye: