Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need help finding an Ohio hunting regulation -

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've put in a good effort looking that the regs and trying to search threads here but can't find the info....and I'm sure I've seen it before...help!

Ohio put limits and time restrictions on harvesting does from public land - if memory serves me right, you can only take one doe from public, and I think that ends at the end of gun week. After that, on public it's buck only. Am I right? And where is it in the reg book?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
It's different again this year. No time limit, just a one doe limit.

Screenshot_20221130-204754_Drive.jpg

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
So I was holding off shooting a buck, thinking that I might have to have a buck tag to hunt muzzy on public, thinking there was a time limit.

Are we sure there's no time limit? was that just last year?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So I was holding off shooting a buck, thinking that I might have to have a buck tag to hunt muzzy on public, thinking there was a time limit.

Are we sure there's no time limit? was that just last year?
I'm positive based on my reading of the regs a few times over now. That's the only section specifically noting public land exceptions other than comments on baiting and permanent stands. Page 6 references restrictions that apply to public land, which is on Page 7 and what we screenshot.

I never paid too much attention to the deer regulations for public hunting grounds. It would appear that the State doesn't want "their" deer killed off, but it's okay if we wipe out the deer on our private property. 🙄
Certainly gives me a different perspective. 🤔

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I never paid too much attention to the deer regulations for public hunting grounds. It would appear that the State doesn't want "their" deer killed off, but it's okay if we wipe out the deer on our private property. 🙄

More along the lines of they negligently failed to consider the impact on public land when they set regulations designed to kill off the deer populations on private lands. This resulted in an absolute hammering of the public land deer numbers and they had to put stipulations in place to curb harvest on public lands.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
In Arizona, almost 56% of the state is public lands. Arizona just enacted a non-resident restriction on over-the-counter deer tags. NR are only allowed to purchase 10% of the average number of tags sold over the last five years. While NR are capped at this 10% number residents are not.

Screenshot_20221203-084140_Email.jpg

Reactions: giles and Hedgelj

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
What cave have you been living in?!? No ground gets raped harder than public and there's been next to nothing done to fix that issue.

What cave have you been living in?!? No ground gets raped harder than public and there's been next to nothing done to fix that issue.
I believe you, but I've not hunted deer on public grounds, in over 36 years. I went to Killdeer Plains, for the Deer Gun Season, in 1986 and it was such a war zone, that I swore I'd never go back. 🚫 So, I never took an interest in reading that portion of the regulations. The last time I hunted on public ground, was for turkeys, on the Woodbury Wildlife Area, in Coshocton County, in the mid-90s. 🤔 Never going back there, either. Those turkeys were getting pushed around like barnyard chickens. 🙄

The "cave" that I live in, has been hunting on private ground and I have no intentions of ever hunting public. :)