Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

need some help

ok guys im still having some decision issues on what cams to buy , so help me out , post some pics of your best cam pics and your worst cam pics, brands , megapixel size , i figure this would be a good reference point for others to choose from as well

rrr

Buy a BUCKEYE CAM!

Uh, Cabela's has some good deals on cams right now, and will continue to have 'em

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
ok guys im still having some decision issues on what cams to buy , so help me out , post some pics of your best cam pics and your worst cam pics, brands , megapixel size , i figure this would be a good reference point for others to choose from as well

I've always had good luck with cuddyback captures.
Moultries are good on a salt block or corn pile. I would'nt put one on a trail. And predator makes a good cam as well. They cost a little more but you can put them on video or have them take a pic every 10 seconds. That's the cam I like the most.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
PICT0515.jpgPICT0516.jpgPICT0061.jpgPICT0439.jpgPICT0517.jpgI have the Bushnell ; Trophy XLT
I have only had it since may and its my first. Its IR range is between 36-45 ft.
Max-8 mega pix.
will hold up to a 16GB SD card.
can run on 4 AA but holds 8 AA battery's ( still on the ones I put in it 5-1-10)
Happy w/ trigger time
Trigger interval-1-60 second

Day and night stills are good as far as I'm concerned but the movie mode is so-so. Kinda grainy but haven't tried maxing it out yet.

Had some trouble attaching but here is a night shot
a day shot of some turks
and some yearlings 2 buttons and a doe playing or play sparing?!- I don't know.

If you want more or different, let me know.

Last edited:

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
This format is not doing them justice. Would it bee any better going to photobucket > link?

Buy a BUCKEYE CAM!

Uh, Cabela's has some good deals on cams right now, and will continue to have 'em

we have to many sticky fingers round my area to put up expensive cams , nothing is safe round here , ive had 4 stands , 3 dozen traps , 2 blinds , 7 homemade feeders stolen in the ten years ive been living down here , i figure spend under 200 bucks a piece on cams , buy four of them and if one or two come up missing im still doinggood on numbers

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
we have to many sticky fingers round my area to put up expensive cams , nothing is safe round here , ive had 4 stands , 3 dozen traps , 2 blinds , 7 homemade feeders stolen in the ten years ive been living down here , i figure spend under 200 bucks a piece on cams , buy four of them and if one or two come up missing im still doinggood on numbers

For a cheap cam I'm using the Moultrie D40 - takes good pics and easy to use but I wish they were IR - they do tend to use alot of battery but they've done well for my needs

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Did you know you can click the picture and make it bigger?

Yes but it still looks a lot grainier than it should...
The 8 MP photo's look really crisp but its lost somewhere between me and you.

I'll go the other way later today.

Last edited:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes but it still looks a lot grainier than it should...
The 8 MP photo's look really crisp but its lost somewhere between me and you.

I'll go the other way later today.

Got ya. It does auto re-size the photo to a max size. Saves on the bandwidth bill.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
That's the camera I'm running. The Bushnell is awesome in battery life.

I'll say!
That was one of the features they were promoting when I got it. Its been running since May day and night, thousands of Pict's so far. (plus 5 days of movies) I have it set so when the movement triggers it, it takes 2 Pict's. 1 second apart then wait 10 seconds... maybe its 30 seconds and then the 2 shots again and so on. I believe it still has 3/4 battery life left.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I thought the 5 MP was last years model. The 8 is the newest one...

Good luck!!!
You have good taste ;)

e bay has a butt load of 5 mgp right now for like 50 bucks a piece i thaught about a few of them for public land, i use that up every weekend shooting clays and stuff , plus if a few sticky finger may get a hold of them and im only out 50 bucks , but for the properties where i know no one will mess with them i thaught about 8 mgp , this trail cam thing has gotten into my blood big time, then later on down the road i could drop a few bucks into a buckeye cam , or just stick with the bushnell 8 mgp in my all honest opinion i like the bushnell 8 mgp pics over the buckeye cam , sorry no offense jesse

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Use the 5MP in doubles to bust and entrap low lifes to thin em-out. (if they get 1 you have em on the other...)