Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need some opinions

Bowkills

Nw oh
A 450 is a 9in drop at 200 with self ammo. 1in high at 100 puts the crosshairs still on the deer just below the spine at 200. Give this gun a bit more yardage. It's easily a 200 yrd gun, not a maybe.

Reactions: bowhunter1023

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
After all that you can see why I still prefer my Accura V2 muzzy with 150gr of Pyrodex pushing a Hornady XTP sabot. A solid 200-yard gun that thumps em and I get to smell the smoke. Sure you only really get one shot and you have to clean it, but to me there's just something about loading a muzzleloader and having that one shot. Not having to trade-off any capabilities makes it my go-to.

OO2

In the Uplands
I also recommend the muzzle loader. It is the most accurate “deer gun” I personally own. Not to take anything away from other guns mentioned as I have not had the chance to sit behind them. I have the Optima V2.

I think it also depends on your gun hunting style. Are you going to be driving deer and having to attempt shots on running deer with the possibility for follow up?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
A 450 is a 9in drop at 200 with self ammo. 1in high at 100 puts the crosshairs still on the deer just below the spine at 200. Give this gun a bit more yardage. It's easily a 200 yrd gun, not a maybe.

Ballistics for the 450 and 350.... easily capable of 300 yards but are most people a 300 yard shooter?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201204-111817_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-111817_Strelok Pro.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Screenshot_20201204-111949_Strelok Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20201204-111949_Strelok Pro.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 152

Fletch

Supporting Member
Dustin... Great looking gun... Even got me thinking... GOOD LUCK with it...
Maybe take the wife's blow dryer and heat them stickers up to remove.... Unless you wanna pull a Giles...

Reactions: Dustinb80

Johnny44

Y'all are not making this any easier. I just need to buy more guns I reckon. I'd like to be able to reach out, therefore muzzleloader. I love the nostalgia of a lever. I like driving deer, shotgun. I've got the shotgun. Don't have the lever or muzzleloader, except for the flintlock I just got for Pennsylvania. Don't have the 350 Legend or Bushmaster. What's my wife going to say when I tell her I need 4 more guns and.... then I'll stop? hahaha, might need to sleep on someone's couch.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Johnny, just checked my 870 at 100 yds... Anything within 100 yds is hurting.... But a man has to know his limitations....
PXL_20201204_153742378.jpg

Reactions: Johnny44 and CJD3

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I actually ended up picking it up last night. They didnt have the Crossfire ii 3-9x40 so ended up with the Copperhead 4-12 x44.

View attachment 115291

View attachment 115292

Why the hell they put stickers on it, I have no clue. The one on the barrel came off fine. The one on the stock is still partially on there :mad::mad:

Now I just need to find a place to zero it.

What scope mounts did you go with?

The 350 Legend vs. 450 Bushmaster is a 20 gauge vs. 12 gauge issue. They both get the job done, but the 350 has less recoil and range. Whereas the 450 has more recoil and range. I personally don't have an issue with the recoil and would rather have the range/power.

That being said... I own a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster. I killed the biggest buck of my life, last year at 130+ yards and a doe later that same week at 123 yards. This year, on Tuesday, I topped that buck with another one that has a 17 1/2" inside spread. I have a Vortex 4-12x40 Diamondback Tactical on it. My reloads of 39.5 grains of Lil'Gun push a 250 gr. Hornady FTX bullet at 2550 fps and provide a 1" group at 100 yards. Using a 150 yard zero, this gives me a 2.2" drop at 200 yards and 10.5" drop at 300 yards.

I don't recommend the AR platform, because you can't "push" the ballistics out of a gas gun, like you can a bolt action. ....and yes, it's loud, but that's never kept me from shooting it or killing anything with it.

Good luck with your choices!
Bowhunter57

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 148
  • B8.jpg
    B8.jpg
    583.6 KB · Views: 142
  • D30.jpg
    D30.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Buck 2.jpg
    Buck 2.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Buck 5.jpg
    Buck 5.jpg
    436.4 KB · Views: 143

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
After all that you can see why I still prefer my Accura V2 muzzy with 150gr of Pyrodex pushing a Hornady XTP sabot. A solid 200-yard gun that thumps em and I get to smell the smoke. Sure you only really get one shot and you have to clean it, but to me there's just something about loading a muzzleloader and having that one shot. Not having to trade-off any capabilities makes it my go-to.
Ballistically, yes your muzzy combo is tough to beat. And I totally agree that the smell of muzzy smoke while watching a deer flop is borderline orgasmic. But I don’t think the negative weight you’re putting on the whole cleaning deal and the one-shot restriction is quite heavy enough. The biggest advantage I see to the affordability and light recoil of the .350 Legend, is the increased likelihood of target practice and enjoyment in shooting. Large recoil, expensive sabots, dirty shooting, are all things that make people limit their practice to the week before gun season every year. As a result, familiarity with the weapon (and therefore accuracy) can potentially suffer. A gun like the .350 that is pure joy to shoot will lead to more practice and more familiarity/intimacy with the weapon. My Browning Gold 12 gauge is the perfect example. I’ve been shooting that gun for 18 years now and have run thousands of shells through it. It is literally a natural extension of my body. I can disassemble and reassemble the entire gun with my eyes closed. Because of all this, I tend to shoot it really, really well. But if you put Jesse’s Benelli Vinci in my hands or some other unfamiliar gun, I won’t be near as effective with it. The same goes for pistols and rifles.

In my opinion the .350 Legend checks all the boxes for the perfect whitetail caliber in Ohio.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have 5 deer guns and shoot whatever tickles my fancy. CVA Optima Elite muzzy, Mossberg 500 12 gauge, Remington 11-87 and Savage 220 20 gauges, and a CVA 450 BM. All have optics ranging from a cheap Tasco to Vortex Crossfires. We still haven't killed a deer with the 450, but I enjoy shooting it. But if you give me one shot at 50-100-200 yards to kill the buck of a lifetime, I want my muzzleloader. @jagermeister makes a great point about the drawbacks of black powder, but I feel like good shot execution is a transferrable skill, which reduces the amount of reps it should take to be proficient with a weapon. Especially one you've owned for a while and have shot a good bit over the years.

This question is very similar to the timeless "which bow should I buy?". The one that feels good and you shoot well.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
@bowhunter1023 you may be right. I may be putting too much weight on familiarity when it comes to guns with quality optics. As long as the shooter has solid marksmanship technique, that skill should transfer to many firearms. Familiarity with ballistics and bullet drop is pretty important though, but maybe a not a huge factor considering typical range limitations in Ohio. Maybe, just maybe, these are all things I tell myself because I’m desperately trying to convince myself I need a .350 Legend. Lol