Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New Spy-Point Product

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
My apologies if this has been mentioned already, but did anyone see spypoints new product? I haven't researched it much yet, but it might be an option for many of us wanting to convert to a cell style camera.

Last edited:

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I didn't catch the price yet either. This came across one of my social media accounts. Like you said, pretty sweet concept. Especially if you have a preferred brand or model camera that you want to keep.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Buddy sent me that on Saturday. Great concept. Not sure if I heard a price point in the video but will be looking into it.

I didn't catch the price yet either. This came across one of my social media accounts. Like you said, pretty sweet concept. Especially if you have a preferred brand or model camera that you want to keep.

A VERY reasonable $69. Talk about a game-changer. Back when we had dealings with Spypoint I always thought they were very innovative and ahead of their time. Unfortunately, when you push the limits reliability becomes an issue and we just couldn't stand behind them anymore.. I'm sure things have changed however.

Stressless

Keene, OH
I'm curious to their power budget solution, linkage of SD card in legacy TrailCam to TX module and power comsuption . If they have worked that as well as they did with last years Link Micro It could be a big bonus. Also part of their "business plan" is to under cut costs for quality of photos, they hold the data, so increasing that and TX time required ... interesting.

Chass

The Hills
I just wonder what we would see if a tech company got into the camera game. Always seems that hunting technology is generally far behind the tech industry unless there is a DoD counterpart such as optics.

Reactions: Big_Holla
I just wonder what we would see if a tech company got into the camera game. Always seems that hunting technology is generally far behind the tech industry unless there is a DoD counterpart such as optics.

That is where I really thought Buckeye Cam would have shined as they are one of the more tech savvy companies already in the industry. I once asked them if they were ever going to create cameras that were more affordable for the average consumer and I basically got a long winded NO answer that was summed up as they are expensive to the hunting world but a much cheaper option to the remote security and military world. Reputation is also everything where big tech companies probably don't want to deal with failures and how consumers react to them.

Reactions: OhioWhiteTails

Snyder10

Stressless: honestly I don’t know where to start. Ive been through three spypoints since October. The longest any of these cameras have lasted is two weeks without needing a “hard reset”, “firmware upgrade”, new batteries etc..I’ve had them glitch out and take no pictures for weeks, and then I’ve had the camera take thousands of pictures in a day. Constant headaches and sending back defective cameras..

Are you totally against the Spartans? I’ve heard a lot of good.

What do you suggest?? I’d be happy to sell off these spypoints to anyone who’s wanting to try them out lol

Stressless

Keene, OH
Bottom Line Up Front: (BLUF) The three cameras you have (plenty work very well) cost less than one Spartan.

Did you read my review at the link I provided above? In that I lay out the issues and capability with both.

IF
- The price point is $70 to turn one of my stellar quality Browing Dark Ops into a Cellular Cam

AND
- it works fairly well in all three areas:
-- Transmission
-- Power Link budget
-- Passing the picture quality thru without compression

THEN
-Their little mad scientists will have earned some of my $.

At this thread, Stressless Trailcam pics, most of the pics are from a Spartan overwatching a beaver dam. The photos there are after the request to send High Quality pic- again that's all in my review at the link provided in my first post above.

All the best, my bet would be to get an RMA from Spypoint, replace the three with new ones. I found that are much more responsive to the CHAT and SM then calling. All the best - looking forward to April and trying a couple if these new gizmos on my Dark Ops.

Cheers/Stressless

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That is where I really thought Buckeye Cam would have shined as they are one of the more tech savvy companies already in the industry. I once asked them if they were ever going to create cameras that were more affordable for the average consumer and I basically got a long winded NO answer that was summed up as they are expensive to the hunting world but a much cheaper option to the remote security and military world. Reputation is also everything where big tech companies probably don't want to deal with failures and how consumers react to them.

Lol, that reminds me of the time on some other forum years before I settled here. There was a discussion about Buckeye Cams & I had mention something about average hunters being able to afford them & boy did I get a earful from one of their guys. I'm pretty sure that was the moment I saw all the more leases coming.

Snyder10

Bottom Line Up Front: (BLUF) The three cameras you have (plenty work very well) cost less than one Spartan.

Did you read my review at the link I provided above? In that I lay out the issues and capability with both.

IF
- The price point is $70 to turn one of my stellar quality Browing Dark Ops into a Cellular Cam

AND
- it works fairly well in all three areas:
-- Transmission
-- Power Link budget
-- Passing the picture quality thru without compression

THEN
-Their little mad scientists will have earned some of my $.

At this thread, Stressless Trailcam pics, most of the pics are from a Spartan overwatching a beaver dam. The photos there are after the request to send High Quality pic- again that's all in my review at the link provided in my first post above.

All the best, my bet would be to get an RMA from Spypoint, replace the three with new ones. I found that are much more responsive to the CHAT and SM then calling. All the best - looking forward to April and trying a couple if these new gizmos on my Dark Ops.

Cheers/Stressless

I did, two of the cameras are RMA from Spypoint. "You get what you pay for" I guess, was hoping if I went the SPARTAN route that their would be less issues.

Thanks for your trail cam expertise.

Reactions: Spencie and giles

Creamer

Athens
Lol, that reminds me of the time on some other forum years before I settled here. There was a discussion about Buckeye Cams & I had mention something about average hunters being able to afford them & boy did I get a earful from one of their guys. I'm pretty sure that was the moment I saw all the more leases coming.

I've had as many past "incidents" on forums with the BEC gang as anyone, probably. That being said, if their product was/had been more affordable, I would have been on their train. The base unit concept is awesome, but I can't drop over a grand on a camera setup.

Chass

The Hills
I drove by their business everyday for years and have lived in the area even longer. I dont know a single person that runs their stuff. I only know one person with a banner on his barn saying his property has the cameras on it, but when I asked he laughed said he got that for free and threw it up to deter trespassing and said yeah those are way too expensive. Idea is solid! But yeah, way too expensive and seems to be alot more work than just setting cams up and being done with it which would deter a lot of folks. I'm in IT myself and a feature laden camera is something I stay away from, I want it to be as simple as can be.

Creamer

Athens
I drove by their business everyday for years and have lived in the area even longer. I dont know a single person that runs their stuff. I only know one person with a banner on his barn saying his property has the cameras on it, but when I asked he laughed said he got that for free and threw it up to deter trespassing and said yeah those are way too expensive. Idea is solid! But yeah, way too expensive and seems to be alot more work than just setting cams up and being done with it which would deter a lot of folks. I'm in IT myself and a feature laden camera is something I stay away from, I want it to be as simple as can be.

I live about a mile from their place, as the crow flies.