Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nice Sheds... What's the Score???

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That's a beautiful set of sheds. This is a 159 3/8 (net) 8 pt for comparison with a pint glass and full sized paper towel. Only had 3 4/8 deducted from gross.

My guess on on WTS - mid 140's. From what I understand, if that buck sheds were on PA public ground it was a giant regardsless of score.

View attachment 116476
I’d be curious if the spread isn’t greater than the length of the longest main beam which the difference is also deducted if I’m not mistaken. Stupid rule I know but so aren’t all deductions, IMO. Lol

Fletch

Supporting Member
Just amazed that those are last year's sheds... Main reason is Northern Pa. has a ton of porkypines......

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Stressless

Keene, OH
I’d be curious if the spread isn’t greater than the length of the longest main beam which the difference is also deducted if I’m not mistaken. Stupid rule I know but so aren’t all deductions, IMO. Lol

The spread is less than either beam on the 8pt, my neighborsfrom last year archery. I agree with just gross but for Buckeye Big Buck they go by net. Its not often a PA public land buck goes BBB but that one IS A DANDY, just might. Like to know when you do get it taped.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I finally with the help of Ron found a pic of a buck that I always think of when a discussion pops up about mass and spread. Even though he’s prolly a mainframe 5x5 his over all tine length isn’t really that impressive but his beam length, mass and spread are so great that length wasn’t needed. Lol
I remember the bases being well over 8” and the C-2’s being close to 7 or a tad less and the last two still being 5-6 and 4 inches plus. The inside spread was 28” and beams about that as well. This thing was a jaw dropper and hung in Derry’s studio long enough that we got to stare and gawk at it during several visits. I remember listening to Derry retelling the story of the hunter that brought it in found it dead under his stand or close by it when he went to hunt one day. Don’t remember any other details but this pic still doesn’t do this deer any justice. I do remember the tines were longer than they appear due to the mass and frame being so impressive.
5EE695AB-9027-4C6F-A636-580BF50E3ABD.jpeg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Ok. I took my buck over to our family xmas. Something all of us that get a buck do. My nephew scores them for us. I knew my niece got a slammer 8 point, but until I seen it in person, I had no clue. Most massive 8 point I ever seen/held in person. I instantly said "holy shit, that things gotta go 150". We scored it a few times and came up with 152 4/8". These pics dont even do it justice. Just unbelievable mass carried out.
image000000.jpg
20201224_140832.jpg
20201224_140617.jpg

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Ok. I took my buck over to our family xmas. Something all of us that get a buck do. My nephew scores them for us. I knew my niece got a slammer 8 point, but until I seen it in person, I had no clue. Most massive 8 point I ever seen/held in person. I instantly said "holy shit, that things gotta go 150". We scored it a few times and came up with 152 4/8". These pics dont even do it justice. Just unbelievable mass carried out.
View attachment 117156View attachment 117157View attachment 117158

Yupper, that 8 has great everything! Congratulations to her, STUD 8!

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
My 2008 bow buck. Tapes at 151'ish, but that does include the 4 inch common base point off his right G2.
I actually shot this one from the ground. Watched him bed about 125 yds from the tree, then after about 2 hours I got tired of waiting on him to get up, so I slipped down the tree and belly crawled to within about 40 yards of him. I then got up on my knees and was going to give him a 'mehhh' to try and get him to stand, but just then he caught a hint of my wind and stood on his own. I drew and he caught me moving. When I released he spun and I actually hit him in the neck/jugular. Better to be lucky than good sometimes! He was a 5 yr old we had plenty of history with and a few of his sheds.

08 bow 1.JPG