Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No heat and I am pissed!

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Two questions for you guys....can you hook a central boiler system up to an existing furnace and chad did you make your own hot water hook up?

Yes you can hook the central boiler system up to any existing heat source.....I have hot water to hot water, you can do hot water to forced air or any other system by the use of heat exchangers. As far as my hot water goes, I plumbed in a water to water heat exchanger and added a mixing valve that adds 1 part cold water to 3 parts hot water to get the domestic hot water to a safe temperature (it comes in at around 180 degrees), and the usable hot water is around 125 deg. with the mixing valve. This also saves me around 40-50 bucks per month in electricity because I can shut off the breaker to the electric hot water heater for about 6 months out of the year.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I am sending the signed agreement to purchase back on my purchase. I ended up purchasing a Shaver Pro Series 165 outdoor wood burner made by Weld Rite. It qualifies for the $1500 tax credit. I will now be heating my home, shop, and hot water with it. When you figure it was costing $1600 to heat the home prior to my purchase of the other outdoor wood burner, and it costs us approximately $300/yr to heat the shop, and I will save a bit on the electric bill by heating my hot water, I anticipate a 2- 2.5 yr payback. Not too shabby. It could end up being shorter, it will depend on how much I am able to sell the old outdoor wood burner for. Looking forward to taking delivery of this soon! Now I just need to go fire up the backhoe and start breaking the frozen ground in order to access "The Bank of Phil". Sure hope I can find where I buried it. With all the snow covering the ground it might be a little tough.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You mean I shouldn't just put it up on blocks like all our old retired trucks? lol

Plan on doing so in the spring. Thanks for the suggestion. Might be tearing up the back yard real soon. Glad I have a backhoe to dig the lines in.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
You mean I shouldn't just put it up on blocks like all our old retired trucks? lol

Plan on doing so in the spring. Thanks for the suggestion. Might be tearing up the back yard real soon. Glad I have a backhoe to dig the lines in.

Sorry Phil I should have realized that was something you would have thought of. You should see some of the "customer installs" we have run across. My brother just texted me and asked for your number :smiley_arrogant: I let him know he was TOO late and ripped his ass a bit. I cut him a break since he is on vacation. He was out of stock anyhow and won't have any more until mid-Jan.

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Tell your brother Sorry. I put a band aid on my other unit, but needed to do something quick. Also needed to do it prior to January for the tax credit.

Concrete- Yeah right. Railroad ties is what she is going on. haha Truth be told, it will probably sit on a few RR ties until spring. I will pour concrete though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Phil - you coulda let the heat fix go for a day or two and try to milk some "warm up snuggle time" outta the old lady....just sayin, missed opportunity.
Of course, though, she mighta thought you a hero for the manfix and rewarded you with some "warm up snuggle time". That would be good.

Or she mighta been thinkin "Why ain't he got that fixed yet? he's had an hour....dammit!"

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dannman- What fantasy world do you live in? If I could read her mind. . . hahaha. I just knew I better get some friggin' heat in the house. Period. lol My wife is 5'10", pale, and red headed. She is always cold. "Snuggle? My ass! We need some heat in here!" is more the response I would expect. Just messing. She was honestly a trooper about it. Fortunately for me, I am pretty conscientious about keeping a tight house with good insulation. House never dropped below 69 degrees the day we had no heat. Good thing for me!