Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

No Till Food Plots - So Easy

at1010

*Supporting Member*
No-Till Garden UPDATE:

A high-level overview of some organic amendments I am going to try and report results on. Using these due to some transplant shock - we received some very cold temperatures in Ohio after planting and I believe that shocked some of my plants.

The Benefits of inter-seeding rows and mowing them off.

My explanation of a seed and how they are a conduit for nutrients and energy from soil to harvest be it human or animal consumption, after the formation of a plant. They have an inherent drive to GROW! Build Better Soil! Instagram @buildbettersoil

Reactions: bowhunter1023

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The new gardening technique is very interesting, Al. Not sure my OCD likes it, but the habitat guy in me knows it's a better method for healthier soil and thereby, healthier "forage", but I sure do love that bare soil look in a well kept garden.

• Haha
Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
The new gardening technique is very interesting, Al. Not sure my OCD likes it, but the habitat guy in me knows it's a better method for healthier soil and thereby, healthier "forage", but I sure do love that bare soil look in a well kept garden.

haha, I can empathize with you on that, buddy! Not only is it difficult to realign our idea of optimal aesthetics, as it pertains to a garden. I believe it might be harder to overcome the norms (both conscious and sub) we all have learned about what "needs" to be done in order to grow an X plant or Y plant.

A common example, one I was taught growing up - "around those tomatoes, dig the dirt up a bit, don't let any weeds get close".

Yet, I started to notice where tomato seeds would drop near my compost bin, and develop in a grass yard/leaf litter. These would grow well and produce fruit - without me ever touching it and in a direct seed method of growth.

I started to learn more about soil functionality and thinking about how well those particular crops could grow, in a far better-balanced soil system and that is what I have set out to do via mowing, cover cropping, interseeding, keeping ground covered, reducing synthetic inputs, and having fun!

I appreciate all that follow along!

Buckmaster

Portage
Al, I’d bet this garden probably hurts your eyes. I’m guessing this would be Jesse’s ideals. I’m stuck halfway in between as I already have weed sprouts in my garden. In a month I’ll probably be mowing in between my rows.
FFFF3391-3375-4DD0-BE3E-95641AEAA586.jpeg

• Haha

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Al, I’d bet this garden probably hurts your eyes. I’m guessing this would be Jesse’s ideals. I’m stuck halfway in between as I already have weed sprouts in my garden. In a month I’ll probably be mowing in between my rows. View attachment 128549

haha, that is funny! I have some friends who just love and swear by this stuff!

You can grow a hell of a crop dumping synthetics to a plant, no doubt about it, and I would assume that this type of farming/gardening would need a lot of that.

I would bet a significant amount, that the nutrient density in a crop grown in a soil system, that is promoted by removing all "weeds" and heavily supplemented by excessive fertilization is far less nutrient-dense than those grown in a functioning system.

Now that doesn't mean the functioning system will always produce bigger yields or fruit, but the actual nutrients in the crop will be better (especially over time as we increase the OM, and functionality of the system). This is something that is already changing in other parts of the world, they are starting to use measurements of nutrient density and people pay a premium for those products, with proven high nutrient loads.

One of the ways I learned to think about it is from John Kempf's teachings. This highlights that although you can grow a plant with synthetic N (for example) that does not mean that the plant converts the N to protein. Organic forms of N are typical in the amino acid form and when uptaken by the plant, they are easily converted. Inorganic forms of N, nitrate, and ammonium, are at a huge energy cost to the plant and can only be converted assuming all other trace elements are available to the plant, think Liebig's law of the minimum. This does not only increase the plant's susceptibility to pathogens/disease but also is giving us a false sense of success, as they might look great but not be as dense as we wish they were.

Just food for thought!

AT

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Hands down the easiest read, yet most valuable book one can read and continue to reread on soil health. Don’t just take my word for it.....

“This book defines the foundational premise for viewing and understanding soils correctly” - Ray Archuleta
C72830C9-F3B7-45CA-BC86-330E490F6868.png

at1010

*Supporting Member*

Coffee County, TN - rivaling midwest yields?! Really interesting webinar from Adam Daugherty. I enjoy how he talks about weaning off synthetics, and not going cold turkey. I also enjoy how Adam is extremely open about it being a process and trying to go from a "gar hole" to great soil - without any inputs, isn't realistic either.

This is heavily focused on AG production but many lessons can be applied to a garden or food plot as well.

Always learning!!
Build Better Soil!

at1010

*Supporting Member*
3277FC8C-5325-465C-B48E-29BB465D305C.png

Step 1 in my attempt to compare 3 different soil tests, from the same location, with two different labs is complete.

Step 2. Is to receive the next conventional test back.

Step. 3. Haney Soil assay results

Then compare!!

I must note that this garden has not seen an ounce of synthetic fertilizer since 2017.

On a PPM basis I haven’t leached almost any nutrients and actually have increased my available P, Ca, and Mg.

I am a bit surprised that the results still recommend additional fertilizer, as I know my cover crop and inter-seeded rows are pumping N into the soil - this is where they Haney test should shine, as it pertains to N.

I will keep you all updated of my next results.

#buildbettersoil #covercrops #gardenlife #farm #ohio #veggies #veggiegarden #veggiefarm #carbonsequestration #regenerativeagriculture

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Really happy with the updates here on no crimper, so I mowed! For row cropping, might not be the best option but for wildlife pastures......hard to beat for the cost of using the bush hog in the barn! Build Better Soils!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Congrats, Al! Very happy for you brother! You guys will be great parents and I have little doubt that Bryce will grow up loving life in daddy's footsteps. Enjoy the ride!

• Love