Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

NOCK OUT!!! A competitive archery reality TV show

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
3D doesn't shake me much. I enjoy it and did well when I did. The one that gets me is spots. It can get down right nerve racking for me.

I went to a 3D shoot for charity and Connie was there. That was an experience.

I'm not a big fan of shooting spots. I really have a difficult time staying focused and holding on spots. I can shoot 3d targets all day long... hold on target all day long... but spots give me fits after a while.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Phil, in no way should anyone have been offended on your comment. It was just your opinion. The mental focus is what separates the cream from the average shooters. As far as spot shooting, the way I found it easier to get consistent 300 scores was my friend Stacey Triplet made me a small pin with a small ring on the end. The ring was the same size of the circumference of the bullseye and that helped me focus on the spot as I was going thru my shot sequence. Then whenever I went to using a regular pin sight it made it easier to hold steady because I was more relaxed and focused on the spot. IMO, you are setting yourself up for alot of headaches with target panic if you try to hold a pin steady on a spot. It's best to let the pin go and focus only on the X when starting your shot. Your pin should settle down and 9 times out of 10 your arrow will be where you were focused.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm not a big fan of shooting spots. I really have a difficult time staying focused and holding on spots. I can shoot 3d targets all day long... hold on target all day long... but spots give me fits after a while.

I'm the complete opposite. I love shooting spots. Still never dropped a 300, but I have a 299 (48 Xs) and two 298's to my credit. I get in the zone when shooting spots and miss it. I suck at 3D on the other hand because of my shitty yardage estimate. I have become rangefinder reliant. Now let me range the targets and I'll light it up! LOL! But make me follow the "rules" and I'll suck it up...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The yardage thing is where the mental game gets tough. You not only have to know the yardage, you have to know you know the yardage to make a clean shot. Its so funny how you can go to crap with just a little bit of doubt in the back of your mind. That is what seperates the men from the boys in the big shoots. You look at the practice line, and everybody shoots the same groups. The winners know the yardage, and they know they know it!:)