Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

noise problem on bow

swamp_donkey819

ok i have a 2003 pse team primos. nice quiet drawing fast shooting accurate bow. no string silencers. no string stopper. sounds pretty quiet from bout 10 ft away, but when i shoot it has a real loud snap sound to it, any ideas? still has factory string also btw if that helps or means anything

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cable guide? Try string silencers too see if that helps.... Double check all the hardware too see if it's still tight..... Checkout your sight, too make sure nothing loosened up.... Take too a pro shop and have them go over it if you don't find anything.....

swamp_donkey819

ok so basically make sure everythings tightened down good , and mossy oak yea its loud in my ear when i shoot, not close to as loud as a dry fire but same kinda snapping noise. ive had other bows without string silencers but none this loud, ill try to get some of the string leaches and see if those help any

swamp_donkey819

not sure it only got loud after i put my peep sight in and kinda made me a lil worried so i didnt have my buddy shoot it. i was shooing from just inside the overhang door in my garage to the target outside, ill check it real quick to see if any loose parts or screws

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Bows always sound loud when you're the one doing the shooting. I would have somebody else shoot it a few times while you stand back and listen. If it's quiet, you're good to go... If not, something's going on. Some bows are going to be louder than others without silencers, but I'm not familiar with that particular bow. Try holding the bow in one hand while you smack it in various places with the other. Listen for any creaks or rattles while you're doing this.

Bows always sound loud when you're the one doing the shooting. I would have somebody else shoot it a few times while you stand back and listen. If it's quiet, you're good to go... If not, something's going on. Some bows are going to be louder than others without silencers, but I'm not familiar with that particular bow. Try holding the bow in one hand while you smack it in various places with the other. Listen for any creaks or rattles while you're doing this.

Jim pretty much nailed that answer....I will add that heavier arrows can an will dampen some bow noise...I thought my 2010 Z28 was a little loud till i heard someone else shoot it..Boy was i wrong

swamp_donkey819

alright thanks, ill try that today and see how it is when my buddy shoots it. the local bow shop wants to charge me like 20 something dollars just look at it and see if anything is wrong but if its nothing at all i wont be out that extra 20 bucks

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Do you have a peep with the rubber tube attached to keep it aligned? If so, those can be rather noisy. Just a thought...

Beentown

swamp_donkey819

i was actually gonna use a peep like that but got the small one kinda like the g5 meta peep but this is just a cheap one, and i was gonna go to insight archery in walnut creek since he specializes in pse, or possibly kidron sports those are the two closest places to me other then woodburry outfitters

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
The original string and cables from 03' ? I would swing past the bow shop and have those looked at and maybe changed. The string could be stretched too much and getting a little sloppy causing added vibration. You could try the string leeches and see if that helps and maybe get you by for a bit longer.

There are plenty of after market dampeners you could try. They have stabilizers, String silencers, limb savers, backstop dampeners you get the idea lol.

If you get string silencers, stay away from those cheap vinyl clip on ones. They are cheap for a reason and will rip off leaving just the clip after just a few shots.

Just some thoughts.

swamp_donkey819

yea kidron sports they treat you good, and yea i figured just go with a new string, cant hurt anything and like you said with it bein original its prolly seen its better days, ill prolly go witht he string leaches, i tried the bowjax clip on ones and the bowjax limb silencer. big dissapointment for both of em.limbsavers ive always had good luck with when it comes to reducing noise

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
When it comes to string silencers, you can't beat good ol' fashioned cat whiskers. Tie 'em up tight so that they're about the size of a golf ball when you're done. They quiet it down as good as it gets, are extremely durable, and best of all they are dirt cheap!

BTW, any bow shop that's worth a damn shouldn't charge you anything just to "take a look" at a bow. If they find something wrong and work needs to be done, then yea, that may merit charging money. But every good bow shop I've ever used has done this kind of thing for free the majority of the time.

swamp_donkey819

yea that is true they shouldnt charge to look at it, but this one the guy volunteers himself to put a new d-loop on and make sure its level and paper tune it and what not its retarted how it is in there i usually go there to chrono my bows, and the cat whiskers do quiet a bow down quite a bit

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
yea that is true they shouldnt charge to look at it, but this one the guy volunteers himself to put a new d-loop on and make sure its level and paper tune it and what not its retarted how it is in there i usually go there to chrono my bows, and the cat whiskers do quiet a bow down quite a bit

Hopefully you can get it straightened out soon. Keep us posted and let us know what you find out.

swamp_donkey819

ok so i shot it about 100 times today completly quiet my buddy couldnt even really he hear it shoot at, so after a while we figured out it was from shooting from inside the garage to the outside, it does have quite a bit of vibration tho so im hoping the limbsaver limb silencers will help that cause i cant put a string supressor on it