Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Nuisance Trapping.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I figured I'd start a thread about the nuisance animals we have to trap. When we moved in there was a family of coons in the dormer attic that I couldn't get to from inside the attic. I even tried trapping them on the roof but they would not go in the live trap. Eventually I drilled a hole in the ceiling of the dormer and used a piece of vacuum line on the nozzle of some mace and sprayed it in the enclosed area. They departed that night.

Since then I have been trapping raccoons by my garbage cans because they open the lid to get in and then tear the bags all apart and make the inside of the cans disgusting. At first, I was catching them on almost a nightly basis. Now I only set them when the bags get messed with which is about every two weeks. I set the two dogproofs tonight and had one within an hour after sunset. This makes coon number 22 if my count is accurate. The strange thing is only 3 have been females.

I'm pretty sure this is one of the kits that was born in the attic as one of them had a bobbed tail.

20210318_213746.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Coons are such a pain in the ass. And a seemingly endless supply of them. Thank goodness they’re about as easy to trap as it gets.

These is no shortage of them around here. I just don't want them in my soffits or trash cans. I cut the larger limbs and trees away from the house but I refuse to get lickable cans. They're such a oain when you have your hands full and need to throw stuff away. Lord knows a decrease in population won't hurt anything. Stupid rakins

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
They're cute when laying out like that.

Was painting last night...about 11 one came up driveway. Opened kitchen door and put a .177 pellet behind the front leg. He ran off but not sure how far...🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Mike and Jackalope

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Flybait in Dr. Pepper. Put it under a pine or spruce tree. I've never done it myself, but I know a guy who has no pest problems anymore, just piles of various furs within 20 feet of the empty pie plate...

I have never done it myself but I knew a guy who used it to clean up coons on his corn pile. The problem is it's pretty indiscriminate and cats and dogs will get in it. But for coons it knocks them dead pretty quick.