Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Official 2010-2011 Countdown Thread

bow lady

NW Ohio
sound like me, good luck with the business and the deer season.
what part of nw ohio?

Berkey, Ohio. There is alot of open ground and few woods to try and get permission to hunt. I have an overgrown ditchline with 3 arces of woods to hunt. The property is like 150 acres but only a few of it is huntable. When they cleaned the ditch a few years ago they really took out alot of hiding spots. It is starting to grow back but the deer don't use the ditch like they used to.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Bow Lady! Glad to see you made it back over here. Don't let any of the single guys read your last post. haha Self employed, single, and bow huntress? You are teasing the single guys with that line. Good luck with your business, it is a tough economy on the self employed right now.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good luck Bow Lady! Glad to see you made it back over here. Don't let any of the single guys read your last post. haha Self employed, single, and bow huntress? You are teasing the single guys with that line. Good luck with your business, it is a tough economy on the self employed right now.

Not TOO highjack but...I am painting a house in a really nice neighborhood this week and one of there neighbors have had 8 people over to bid on a HVAC job. I just shook my head andchuckled everytime another one pulled in. It makes me think how many times this happens to me. 8, really 8????

Beentown

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Take a look at the wind directions on Sat/Sun. Two unusual winds predicted for our area. Saturday is NNW which we do get sometimes in the winter, but not as common as our westerly winds. Sunday is ENE which we hardly ever get. I think it might have some of the deer all boogered up and I am not sure which way they will take it. Bed down and lay low? Up and moving more?

badger

*Supporting Member*
Camo washed = check

Broadheads sharp = check

Shooting lanes clear = check

Deer tags bought = check

Batteries for light = check

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anything I'm forgetting here? Feel free to add to my list.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Take a look at the wind directions on Sat/Sun. Two unusual winds predicted for our area. Saturday is NNW which we do get sometimes in the winter, but not as common as our westerly winds. Sunday is ENE which we hardly ever get. I think it might have some of the deer all boogered up and I am not sure which way they will take it. Bed down and lay low? Up and moving more?

I get a lot of the westerly winds but those easterly winds screw my setups every time. I setup my stands for anything from s/sw/w/nw/n so when we get anything on the other side of the compus I'm screwed. Seems we had a bunch of the NNE winds last year and hope we don't have a repeat of that again this year or I will have to start toting the climber or moving my hang-ons around :(.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I get a lot of the westerly winds but those easterly winds screw my setups every time. I setup my stands for anything from s/sw/w/nw/n so when we get anything on the other side of the compus I'm screwed. Seems we had a bunch of the NNE winds last year and hope we don't have a repeat of that again this year or I will have to start toting the climber or moving my hang-ons around :(.

Agreed, I only have a few stands for those winds so if it doesn't change up a bit I will have no choice but to hunt the same two stands all weeked.

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
things are shaping up to be a great opener. Winds could be a little different, but thats ok. Ill let the good stands marinate a little bit:smiley_bril:

Ray

These winds are not good for many of my stands, but it really won't matter until Sunday evening as I will be out of town on Saturday helping a friend move some shit.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you guys think the deer will be any more or less active with the not so common wind directions?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Do you guys think the deer will be any more or less active with the not so common wind directions?

I didn't notice any difference last year when we had all the NNE winds blowing through during early bow season. If anything they just enter some areas from a different direction then normal just to keep the wind in their face.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
I get a lot of the westerly winds but those easterly winds screw my setups every time. I setup my stands for anything from s/sw/w/nw/n so when we get anything on the other side of the compus I'm screwed. Seems we had a bunch of the NNE winds last year and hope we don't have a repeat of that again this year or I will have to start toting the climber or moving my hang-ons around .

Good thing we stumbled on that spot on public land that would be perfect for easterly winds.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
In the stand I sat up this year, and easterly wind in the evening will be awesome for me....The westerlies will kill me.
basically f I could have an easterly wind all the time I would be good. usually its blowing west and throws me scent all through the woods